Professor X (Classic) *Updated (8/14/19)

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Thanos said:
    Thanks for the video. Very curious to see a few matches against a gritty team. Want to see the win loss ratio over a few matches.

Even a Gritty one. He's 5/3/5 for the extra damage prevention.

In your team you are using Storm and Phoenix looks like. Good pair.  An interesting team might be Professor X, AA, Storm.  Another team might be OML and iceman, or OML, Kitty.
  • max5esq
    max5esq Posts: 56 Match Maker
    So is the consensus that he is really good?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    On paper, yes, he seems really good.  I think he is similar to Okoye in that he’ll shine on offense but be a super easy target to take down on defense. Mainly because you can get around his damage reduction with stun. Plus you can count on the AI to choose the wrong pick a power half the time. 

An awesome passive is a must-have to be a top-tier 5 and he has one in his ability to do extra damage on match 4s. I’d consider this a Tier 2 passive like Jessica or Strange (Tier 1 is Thor/Thanos/Kitty/Okoye passives). I’m curious statistically if his passive will fire more than Strange’s in an average match.  Obviously Strange has him beat hands-down against goons, but I’m curious about tile-movers. Prof’s passive does more damage when proc’d so I imagine it fires less. Though all that will depend both on partners, opponents and match length. 

His purple is my favorite power by far. It’s like Green Goblin’s- only a power creep version. 1) it’s 2 AP cheaper 2) you get the bonus of adding a chosen color to the board and 3) you get the chosen effect immediately rather than having it tied to multiple two-turn countdowns (this is huge). Basically whatever you need he has got you covered (does anyone know if his purple can be sent as a team-up?). Purple is one of the weakest actives in the tier and I’d rank this one as the best pretty easily (Loki a distant second). 

His black passive is mostly there to negate the low health. Note that his health is still higher than Strange who has nothing to help him, so if left at three covers, anything is still better than nothing. On an all X-Men team at 5 covers, he can not just use black to mitigate his weaknesses but he can be an awesome tank. I believe Rogue takes 50% less damage total if all her teammates are alive. And we all know how annoying she is. Now try dealing with 75% damage reduction while your R/Y/G powers cost 3 AP more!  Again, a stun could neutralize all that, which Bishop has in the meta. But Thorkoye, and Gritty-sans-Bishop will have a rough time for sure without packing a MBW team-up. 

He has several viable builds and is one you wish you could run 5/5/5. You’ll change him up depending on team needs and in-match you will choose different purple effects as well, depending on what you need in the moment, who you’re facing, and who your partners are. Even if he is not better than the options I currently have on my roster he is worth chasing due to the fact that he is fun and one of those rare characters who put the puzzle element in the game. 

• Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    His blue passive is Okoyeable. He and Thorkoye are will be the fastest non-Thanos team.
  • A_McB
    A_McB Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    I think it is a bit too far to make him the required 5* for the latest event, when the options to get him are hp with 1 million rabbit feet or 500 cp. Seems like a cp/hp drain technique by devs. I was fine with new methods of winning him until this.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    A_McB said:
    I think it is a bit too far to make him the required 5* for the latest event, when the options to get him are hp with 1 million rabbit feet or 500 cp. Seems like a cp/hp drain technique by devs. I was fine with new methods of winning him until this.
    I said it in the other thread but man, this is SUPER LAME, like offensive even. No character should be mandatory until it gets to Latest tokens.

This game is getting worse not better. Do they want us to abandon the game?!?!?
  • Twomp_thaDJ
    Twomp_thaDJ Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Polares said:
    A_McB said:
    I said it in the other thread but man, this is SUPER LAME, like offensive even. No character should be mandatory until it gets to Latest tokens.

I don’t think the game is for Vets to be honest.. if you are just starting out you have so much to look forward to.. plus the new players don’t really have any clue that they should wait to get P5of X.. and Im guessing the devs figure it’s only one event we got our hooks in em.. they will just take it.. and look we did.. *shrug*
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Polares said:
    A_McB said:

I don’t think the game is for Vets to be honest.. if you are just starting out you have so much to look forward to.. plus the new players don’t really have any clue that they should wait to get P5of X.. and Im guessing the devs figure it’s only one event we got our hooks in em.. they will just take it.. and look we did.. *shrug*
    It sure as heck ain't for beginners. At least not for those looking to be competitive, or even completionists.

I can't even begin to imagine the nightmare of trying to make it through the 4* tier if I was beginning from scratch right now. Or the 5* tier for that matter. 

I'm actually just having a realization. I'd need to go back and double check the release order to see if I'm right about this, but I started playing roughly around the time Drax or Winter Soldier was the newest 4*, which was something like the 28th or 29th 4*s to be released. 

There are more 5*s now than there were 4*s when I started playing. And roughly 3 times as many 4*s. Let *that* sink in a little bit. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    That's the kind of posts I was seeing frequently way back from December 2017(?). I think it was when MEH was released.

1) New players will never catch up with new 4* star releases
    2) New players need to pay a lot of money to catch up
    3) New players can never catch up with roster slots requirement

Now, I have:
    1) over 200 roster slots, with HP overflow that I use to open vaults and packs

2) majority of 5* rostered

3) all 4* rostered:
      a) over 40 of them champed 
      b) for non-champed 4*
           i) about 6 at 9 to 10 covers
           ii) majority of them at 11-13 covers

The only true words were about ISO-8, which I agree.

All the above were accomplished without spending any real cash and neither did I do any Google surveys and use the "earnings" to make IAP. Competitiveness, long term planning and patience is key to success.

I do agree that MPQ is not meant for perfectionists and completionists. 

• DarthDeVo
    That's the kind of posts I was seeing frequently way back from December 2017(?). I think it was when MEH was released.

1) New players will never catch up with new 4* star releases
    2) New players need to pay a lot of money to catch up
    3) New players can never catch up with roster slots requirement

Now, I have:
    1) over 200 roster slots, with HP overflow that I use to open vaults and packs

2) majority of 5* rostered

3) all 4* rostered:
      a) over 40 of them champed 
      b) for non-champed 4*
           i) about 6 at 9 to 10 covers
           ii) majority of them at 11-13 covers

The only true words were about ISO-8, which I agree.

All the above were accomplished without spending any real cash and neither did I do any Google surveys and use the "earnings" to make IAP. Competitiveness, long term planning and patience is key to success.

I do agree that MPQ is not meant for perfectionists and completionists. 

So... you've champed about half the 4* tier? In almost two years of play? 

Any of the 5*s? You say the majority are rostered. That could technically be as few as 19, since there are now 37 5* with Profe$$or X, though I'm assuming it's likely more than that. 

If you're content with that, there's nothing wrong with it. That *is* why I included the caveat about competitive or completionist players, which I'm glad you acknowledged and agreed about.

Because it may just be me, but I kinda see your anecdotes as agreeing with me and supporting my argument. Not to mention the fact that you're almost two years ahead of someone starting from scratch. If it's taken you this long to get where you are, how much longer will it take someone brand new?

That's the inherent challenge of a release model that sees a new character released every other week on average for roughly six years. Anyone late to the game has to be content playing the long game, and I suspect that well of players isn't particularly deep. I admit I have no data to back up that assertion, it's simply a gut feeling. 

Also, I do think the most interesting part of your post is that you've admitted to spending no "real cash" or using other methods or means to make in app purchases. I dunno, maybe I've missed that before elsewhere. I'm not nearly as active on the forums as I used to be. 
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo said:

That's the inherent challenge of a release model that sees a new character released every other week on average for roughly six years. Anyone late to the game has to be content playing the long game, and I suspect that well of players isn't particularly deep. I admit I have no data to back up that assertion, it's simply a gut feeling. 

An observation from the PVP side is that the deep well is drying up.  My MMR hasn't been rising that much season to season, and I'm not a placement/1200 player, but the last few events I've been hit a lot harder and sooner than in the past year or so.  I used to get to 900 get my 4* and shield out, now I've missed a few 4* due to being shellaced in the 800 range. 

Oh to bring it back on topic (before mod intervention), bringing a 1 cover Chuck into PVP is just putting a "kick me" sign on your back considering the backlash Chuck related things are getting in game (vs the actual character, who's actually damn good... you know, if I ever him covered decently... ummm, can I trade Wasp covers for him hahaha.....)  
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,248 Chairperson of the Boards
    A note about running under-covered 5BuckChuck:

Thanks to his low health being designed (apparently) with an eye on his black being so good at reducing damage, you really don't want to be bringing him without a decent number of black covers....certainly not to PVP.  Maybe he'd still be a good PVE tool if you had enough in the other colors and the right team around him.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Interesting note on Signal Boost: I have a one cover 5X (blue).  When running with Gritty, , the extra tile destruction of 5X CAN be a friendly strike tile.  I had two beautiful cascades wipe out several strike tiles thanks to Signal Boost.

I imagine at higher levels of Signal Boost it would only get worse.  Not sure about CD tiles as I didn't try that but was surprised to see the friendly strike tiles destroyed by it.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting note on Signal Boost: I have a one cover 5X (blue).  When running with Gritty, , the extra tile destruction of 5X CAN be a friendly strike tile.  I had two beautiful cascades wipe out several strike tiles thanks to Signal Boost.

I imagine at higher levels of Signal Boost it would only get worse.  Not sure about CD tiles as I didn't try that but was surprised to see the friendly strike tiles destroyed by it.
    Why would it be worse at higher levels? He only ever destroys one extra tile regardless of level or number of covers. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards

Why would it be worse at higher levels? He only ever destroys one extra tile regardless of level or number of covers. 
    My apologies.  I read the covers wrong.
  • Gold_Dragon
    Gold_Dragon Posts: 101 Tile Toppler
    About that extra tile he destroys in Signal Boost.....

whatever color tile he destroys, he gains AP in that color. So if you get a match-4 in purple, after any cascades, he destroys another purple and after any cascades after that, he gains 1 more purple AP.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    About that extra tile he destroys in Signal Boost.....

whatever color tile he destroys, he gains AP in that color. So if you get a match-4 in purple, after any cascades, he destroys another purple and after any cascades after that, he gains 1 more purple AP.
    You're making this way too complicated.

He just gains AP for that extra tile he destroys.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    I opened my hoard and champed him today. He's a lot of fun with Thorkoye. Definitely faster than Jessica Jones, because you have to wait till she puts out trap tiles and then get 6 blue to see where they are, and then maybe never reach them. Prof X lets you start making match 4/5s right away, and with Thor crashes tiles each turn, it happens pretty regularly. You basically take the match 4/5s, and if there are none, take TU tiles to enhance them.

Also, his purple is super helpful, as for only 8 AP, you get another AOE attack to use Okoye's passive, or you have another single target nuke to finish someone. Just so flexible. It's a really strong power.
  • DarthDeVo
    scottee said:
    Also, his purple is super helpful, as for only 8 AP, you get another AOE attack to use Okoye's passive, or you have another single target nuke to finish someone. Just so flexible. It's a really strong power.
    Nice! I only got one cover of each color, too go asking with the black cover I already had. 

Messing around with him in Sim, and I was surprised that there's no in game description for his purple power. I vaguely recalled what each color did, but definitely could not remember what the damage numbers were (even though they would have been boosted by Okoye).

I suppose it's no different than Green Goblin's purple. You don't actually find out what his pumpkin bombs do until you select the color, then tap on the newly created CDs and read the description. He doesn't even have the benefit of having each color described on the power screen within his roster page. Baldy at least has the benefit of being able to scroll through a description for what each color does. 
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    The resolution is always so complicated that I can't follow it to confirm, but it feels like his blue should triple-dip on Strikes. Once from the match itself, once from the flat damage, and once from the extra tile destruction. Does anyone know for sure whether or not that's the case?