3.8 Release Notes *Updated (10/2/19)

Comments

• Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    starfall said:
    Gunmix25 said:

The flash adds are a pleasant surprise. 
    I'm not sure what the flash adds are meant to achieve?

Well for me anyways, I use Geier and Ulrich already. Flash can provide an early flip if your opponent had not cast during their turn providing you with an active flipped werewolf upon your turn when you've had none the turn before. Plus with Ulrich's flip damage on top, it can flip the battle in your favor. Purely strategic though not many players use it and the AI never uses it. I love the ability but in half the cases though the ability is useless and would have been better suited on a different card.
  • Gunmix25
    starfall said:
    HomeRn said:
    starfall said:
    Gunmix25 said:

The flash adds are a pleasant surprise. 
    I'm not sure what the flash adds are meant to achieve?
    I want to say "surprise transformation triggers."  Werewolves transform into their more dangerous form if 2 or more cards are played in a turn - flash would allow you to play them on your opponent's turn, to help trigger a transforming werewolf!
    Oh, clever! It seems niche but it gives them just a little more kick :)

bingo... exactly this!
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Gunmix25 said:

it can flip the battle in your favor.
    Even if you didn't, I'm assuming you did this on purpose.
  • Gunmix25
    starfall said:
    Gunmix25 said:

not everyone is comfortable with the challenge and strategies of a mono-walker as they require some finesse and skills to manage.

Crikey but there's a lot of passive aggression going on in this thread today :)

You seem to be suggesting, though, that all PWs are exactly as powerful as each other if only you are clever enough to figure out how to play them, and I have to tell you, as a long term player of the game, as a regular part of one of the top coalitions, alongside many of the best players of the game, who discuss these issues regularly (who also happen to be some of the best friends I've ever made!), that's simply not true. It's an easy assumption for a less experienced player to make, but if you take the time to immerse yourself in some of the nuance of the game you'll discover a whole new range of facets to all of the PWs which may help expand your understanding of them. Enjoy the journey!
    I am also a long term player and have all but the few exclusives to build upon. Mono-walkers are simply do not come with the ease of play as multicolored walkers do If you say you have been playing that long you would know that this is true. If you don't then I don't know what to say but suggest you get in some more play time and see for yourself and get some more experience with these.  To quote you in return, "It's an easy assumption for a less experienced player to make, but if you take the time to immerse yourself in some of the nuance of the game you'll discover a whole new range of facets to all of the PWs which may help expand your understanding of them. Enjoy the journey!" :)
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Quantius said:

Booster reward has been updated from Legacy Non-Duplicate to Regular M20 Booster Pack.

Oh yeah! the change we all wanted :(
    Yeah this is a pretty poor change. It's weird cause this is a pretty solid update overall.
    Totally agree with this.  They give things that we want but then they have to take away something we like.  
  • Gunmix25
      octal9 said:
    Gunmix25 said:

it can flip the battle in your favor.
    Even if you didn't, I'm assuming you did this on purpose.
    :D This actually took me a minute to get what you meant. I love puns but I totally was not aiming for it this time. haha! touche and nice catch
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    These mono-color PW's seem decent for someone who is looking to fill spots.

Ajani, Strength of the Pride looks like he will be good for control/midrange and maybe some lifegain combo (azor's gateway will work nicely with him).

Chandra, Awakened Inferno seems kinda meh. You have Koth and Jaya to pick from and they're both excellent.

Mu Yanling, Sky Dancer is okay and could make for a good mono-blue flyer aggro build, but is otherwise okayish, I don't think I could recommend her over Jace Unraveler or Tezzeret Master of Artifice in the mono-blue realm.

Sorin, Imperious Bloodlord is actually solid. I have Sorin, Grim Nemesis already (who is a bit slow imo), but this version is tempting me. We'll see, but I'm confident that his abilities will make for really good vamp decks.

Vivien, Arkbow Ranger seems like a worse Sarkhan Unbroken, her third ability has a similar effect, but comes in mono-color flavor and requires you to have drawn and exiled or exiled via another method the creatures. Eh, when it comes to Mono-color PW's I only find value/fun in them when they have something to offer that multi-color PW's don't. In this case, Nissa, Worldwaker would be my choice for mono-G. She's really great in her niche.

Arlin Kords updated . . . I wish this had been posted before the PW sale ended . . . I guess next time it rotates in.

Kaya, Orzhov Usurper still not worth it.

Vraska, Golgari Queen still not worth it.
  • ElfNeedsFood
    ElfNeedsFood Posts: 944 Critical Contributor
    starfall said:
    That's a lot of new mono PWs for a game which really doesn't encourage you to play them. I hope plenty of people are paying cash money for those otherwise it seems like a bit of a waste of time.
    They're just following paper here, which actually had three mono red Chandras.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    LakeStone said:
    • Call the Pack
      • --- Level 4 ---
      • Before: "Fetch the next Werewolf in your deck and it gains 6 mana."
      • After: "Fetch the first Werewolf or Wolf creature from your library. If you can't fetch the first Creature card instead. It gains 6 mana."
    @LakeStone I assume this is probably a typo, but Level 4 Call the Pack currently gives the creature 9 mana, not 6. I'm assuming that's not changing?

Other than the change to the Fblthp packs (and I suppose the gravy train had to end sometime) this sounds like a pretty fantastic patch. Fingers crossed for very few new bugs.

And starfall, I get that you are of the opinion that the only decks worth playing are multi-color blue PWs running BSZ and every other broken card they can stuff in the deck that win instantly with no chance of losing. You have made that opinion very clear in the previous 9000 or so threads where you've brought it up and suggested/hinted to a greater or lesser degree that you think the color blue should be nerfed into the ground. But, even though I basically agree with you about the relative strength of that particular deck archetype:
    • The winning-est deck does not need to be, and should not be, the only deck that matters.
    • Not all players are Spike. You, my friend, are clearly 110% Spike, but you need to remember that Spike is not the only type of player.
    • Even if every player was a Spike, there are plenty of nodes where the optional objectives favor a different type of deck. Don't tell me you still religiously run only multi-blue PWs for pauper nodes? Pauper blue is mostly garbage.
    Anyways, I think the new PWs all look like fun. Chandra's probably still worse than all the other non-Chandra red PWs (except Huatli 1 and maaaaybe Sarkhan 1) but she's definitely the best Chandra and I will have fun going Elemental Tribal with her deck slots. I also have no idea how Sorin's going to rack up enough Vampire reinforcements with no white, and I don't know how Vivien's gonna reliably get fatties into her exile, but they seem like interesting deckbuilding challenges that I look forward to tackling.

I'm stoked about the werewolf and Arlinn changes too. I just got Geier Reach Bandit from the one of the recent Fblthp packs...just in the nick of time I guess! It's a little odd that Spirit of the Hunt and Silverfur Partisan got Flash even though they don't flip, but I guess it doesn't hurt them. Assembled Alphas doesn't flip either but it does have Defender, so giving it Flash suddenly makes it a lot more interesting.

Now that Kaya's ultimate has a cumulative effect...she might actually be really good for huge-health-pool boss killing? Guess I'm gonna need to actually level her up.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Things I like:

Arlinn Buff:  Making her abilities work for Wolf or Werewolf has been suggested many times since pretty much the day she was released.  Working if you don't have either isn't great from a flavor perspective, but definitely nice for usability.  Nice job!

Protection:  This is a classic mechanic that is nice to finally have in the game.  And (assuming it works) its definitely well done.  I hope they'll go back and add it retroactively to stuff, or at least fix the "hexproof from X color" cards that are currently very weird.

Non-Dupe Vanguards:  Always a pleasure

Naru Nerf:  I think that's a really well thought out nerf.  The first one still works normally, but the copies won't go infinite.  And it only triggers on cast.  So she'll still go infinite with Summoner's Pact (but that's fine lol) and Chord of Calling, but I can't think of anything else and needing another color and no other creatures in your deck is enough of a restriction I can live with it.

Core 2020:  Finally!

Things I don't like:

No more Fibbles packs :'(
    (Obviously its the right decision from a business and balance perspective.  But I was so close to finishing Legacy!)
  • Raistlin
    Raistlin Posts: 54 Match Maker
    Mburn7 said:
    Things I don't like:

No more Fibbles packs :'(
    (Obviously its the right decision from a business and balance perspective.  But I was so close to finishing Legacy!)
    Me too...I'm down to 14 Masterpieces left to finish legacy...only needed 3 more packs. 
    Hoping to get 1 more on Wednesday... ;)

Think we'll have a card gallery soon....? :)
  • raz
    raz Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Will the card filter/search be fixed? Please?
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    The "disabled hexproof" fix, am I understanding it correctly that as long as it is only the disabled hex creature on the board you can still target it, but if there is another creature without hexproof you can't?
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    So sad no more Fblthp loot!  That actually made me purchase crystals for the vanguards.

...I know the vanguards will still happen, but those sweet sweet legacy packs made me feel much more comfortable pulling out my credit card for this game lol
  • Parasith
    Parasith Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2019

Booster reward has been updated from Legacy Non-Duplicate to Regular M20 Booster Pack.

Oh yeah! the change we all wanted :(
    THIS SUCKS SO MUCH! 

Fblthp Event is absolutely superfluous now. We don't need it anymore.

It's not an upgrade but a downgrade!!! 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    starfall said:
    starfall said:
    That's a lot of new mono PWs for a game which really doesn't encourage you to play them. I hope plenty of people are paying cash money for those otherwise it seems like a bit of a waste of time.
    They're just following paper here, which actually had three mono red Chandras.
    Perhaps they shouldn't be following paper so closely, then.

They have no choice. We all know it's one of the requirements of the license.

Our hope for the _future_ is that some of the extra ones get made into vanguards instead, but they dont get to "not follow paper" they just get to choose how.