Throne of Eldraine Speculation

Options
Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
Its prerelease weekend for Throne of Eldraine, and the set has just gone live on MTG Arena.

So, lets celebrate by speculating wildly on how a set with tribal equipments, Quest-like artifacts, creatures that are also spells, and a food sub-theme will look in MTGPQ!!

Let the hype train begin!

Comments

• KingGrace
    KingGrace Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Food will be pretty straight forward. I think adventure cards could be similar to the aftermath cards combined with split cards.

ex. You flip the adventure card in hand, cast the adventure. Then the player will have to match one or two activated gems X number of times or turn-timed to cast the creature.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Food will be like Treasures, except with life instead of mana.

I agree with KingGrace about Adventure cards: I think they'll be something like our current dual-sided cards with Aftermath.

The mythic artifacts won't need much adapting: White will be cheaper for each Knight and reinforcement you control, blue will be cheaper for each spell in the graveyard, black will be discounted exactly like it's paper version, red is the only one I'm not sure about, and green will work something like Ghalta.

All speculation, of course.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My hope is that we get a Rise of The Pharaoh God style event with a gingerbread man as the final boss. All it does is generate food tokens and have clever ways of breaking them so it gains absurd amounts of health each turn. 
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Options
    mrixl2520 said:
    My hope is that we get a Rise of The Pharaoh God style event with a gingerbread man as the final boss. All it does is generate food tokens and have clever ways of breaking them so it gains absurd amounts of health each turn. 
    Can we get a new PW? Nicol Bolas, Baker Extraordinaire
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quantius said:
    mrixl2520 said:
    Koth, the little mermaid (aka merkoth)

Ajani, the fairest princess of them all

Lilliana develops a fixation on flowers and singalongs.

All of the Seven Dwarfs are Fblthp

Bring Gideon back from the dead as Iago
  • Mburn7
    Options
    Quantius said:
    mrixl2520 said:

I'm dying.  That's great.

Unfortunately the Eldraine walkers are already a thing, they are:

Garruk, no longer cursed (but still BG and really op)
    The Siblings Kenreth (UR shenanigans)
    Oko the Trickster/Shapeshifter Fae (UG and obsessed with Food and transmogrification)

If Oktagon were to go off on their own like they did for Fblthp, though, I would definitely pay for Pretty Princess Ajani and the Seven Homunculi
  • Mburn7
    Options
    mrixl2520 said:
    Hmm, how about a boss with 500 health that gains 600 every turn?
    Nothing crazy in its deck, but you need to one shot it to win.

Now THAT would be super fun (and also mostly impossible for newer players)
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Save the hype for 6 months from now when we get the set.
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,434 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    Quantius said:
    mrixl2520 said:

I'm dying.  That's great.

Unfortunately the Eldraine walkers are already a thing, they are:

Garruk, no longer cursed (but still BG and really op)
    The Siblings Kenreth (UR shenanigans)
    Oko the Trickster/Shapeshifter Fae (UG and obsessed with Food and transmogrification)

If Oktagon were to go off on their own like they did for Fblthp, though, I would definitely pay for Pretty Princess Ajani and the Seven Homunculi

There is also Sorin for vampire shenanigans and Chandra's many versions...(not remotely impressed by any of them) 

Or is that M20? Ugh I can't remember.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Went undefeated in a 100 player prerelease tonight, won a booster box :)
  • TheDude1
    TheDude1 Posts: 194 Tile Toppler
    Options
    starfall said:
    Oktagon won't scale the life gain from food so that is has any effect on gameplay for PWs above level ~5 or so... and will also probably not consider the possibility of deliberately printing cards which trigger from life gain.
    I disagree, look at the M20 PWs, they all had damage or life gain adjustments over paper that are plenty reasonable, if not 100% proportional.  Will the food tokens give the same proportion of life gain as paper (3 vs the base total of 20)? Probably not, but to say they won't balance at all probably isn't true either.
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    starfall said:
    Oktagon won't scale the life gain from food so that is has any effect on gameplay for PWs above level ~5 or so... and will also probably not consider the possibility of deliberately printing cards which trigger from life gain.
    That new Ajani's second ability begs to disagree.