MPQ Sneak Peek: September 2019 Edition *Updated (9/24/19)

Comments

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    reading power names is super confusing if you always just go "magneto blue, she hulk green, Carol black,..."
    i know the strongest color of most chars, but can't be bothered to remember their powers names. 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess im one of the only people that somewhat enjoy Mysterio.  Turning yellow into purple means Loki can stab more.  And his stabs are cheap as they are.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    I guess im one of the only people that somewhat enjoy Mysterio.  Turning yellow into purple means Loki can stab more.  And his stabs are cheap as they are.
    The turning blue into yellow part is what most people dislike, since it's automatic, and you can't stop it even if you have a better use for that blue. The yellow to purple active is good.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod said:
    The turning blue into yellow part is what most people dislike, since it's automatic, and you can't stop it even if you have a better use for that blue. The yellow to purple active is good.
    I mean, if you know that going in, why not just plan a non-blue team?

I get that theres good abilities on blue.  But maybe make it a blue passive, like JJ's?  Point is, just because we dont like something in particular doesnt mean you cant make the best of it. 

Personally, i saw mysterio, and thought to myself...
    What needs purple, is a good purple at that, and i can sacrifice yellow AND blue for it?

Loki came to mind immediately.  And i plan around it.

Mind you, this is just when i use him in situational or just-for-fun matches.  This isnt meta.  We all know what is and isnt meta.  

I think its a little unfair to compare him to Talos.  ...i really tried ideas with Talos.  Nothing good came of it.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    PiMacleod said:
    I mean, if you know that going in, why not just plan a non-blue team?

I get that theres good abilities on blue.  But maybe make it a blue passive, like JJ's?  Point is, just because we dont like something in particular doesnt mean you cant make the best of it. 

Personally, i saw mysterio, and thought to myself...
    What needs purple, is a good purple at that, and i can sacrifice yellow AND blue for it?

Loki came to mind immediately.  And i plan around it.

Mind you, this is just when i use him in situational or just-for-fun matches.  This isnt meta.  We all know what is and isnt meta.  

I think its a little unfair to compare him to Talos.  ...i really tried ideas with Talos.  Nothing good came of it.
    He'd def not as bad as Talos. It does also depend significantly on where someone is in their Roster development. I personally don't really care much, since I generally run stuff like Grockitty (Or more recently Grockenaut) that doesn't really care about AP at all, but for a lot of people, particularly in 4* land, they've got a handful of favourite teams that they really lean on, and when someone like Peggy or Riri (or to a lesser extent, even people like Iceman or Gamora), that effectively locks their fave teams out of his Essential nodes. Particularly a problem if they're playing near the top of their Roster's capabilities and need the (predominantly blue) stuns to deal with the tougher fights.
    For others, it may be less about power levels, but simply that hamstringing those teams like that makes the game less fun, leading to burnout.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I guess I'm the only one who find Talos perfect with America Chavez: perfect coverage of all six colours between these two. 

Talo was dealing more than 10k in critical match damage when he was boosted. The key to playing Talos is to focus on the strongest colour of that opponent team and leave that character for the last kill.

I find Mysterio exciting as well. I'm waiting to champ him so that I can team him up with some other characters, provided his trap tiles bug has been solved.
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 764 Critical Contributor
    This is such a grind to get a win in worthy cap pvp 

I think this is almost as annoying as fighting gritty bishop teams 

going to take me forever to get 40 wins as there’s no way I’m going to get to 900 points on this :(
  • TeamStewie
    TeamStewie Posts: 357 Mover and Shaker
    Kahmon said:
    Anyone else dreading mysterio's last day node in hearts of darkness?  He's practically talos light for uselessness.  At least talos doesn't steal my AP and convert it to something less useful
    Not as much as facing Royal Family with my 1 cover PX5.
    On the bright side, I don't even have PX5 so I will be chilling this event.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    This is such a grind to get a win in worthy cap pvp 

I think this is almost as annoying as fighting gritty bishop teams 

going to take me forever to get 40 wins as there’s no way I’m going to get to 900 points on this :(
    I'm also struggling to hang on to points in this event; i'm definitely working on 40 wins myself (currently 27, 1d 9h remaining). When i hit the occasional Bishessica teams, I've noticed that Worthy Cap defensively eats JUST enough of the Overclocked damage not to trigger XFDP's black, which is delightful.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    After playing his PvP, I find his yellow useless if the board is lacking yellow tiles and you are trying certain combo. Many a times, the board is devoid of yellow. 

I think I will focus building teams around his charged tiles instead once I get him champed. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Something I noticed in the Perfect Storm pvp is that if you can get enough spam on the board, Gladiathor can't break any tiles out. I'm wondering if between Worthy Cap and I5eman we aren't seeing soft counter to Thorkoye just from starving the board out of the colors they need based on incoming damage? Anybody have them at a high enough level to try that yet?
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    After playing his PvP, I find his yellow useless if the board is lacking yellow tiles and you are trying certain combo. Many a times, the board is devoid of yellow. 

I think I will focus building teams around his charged tiles instead once I get him champed. 
    Exactly.  His yellow should be changed so it changes a random non blue red basic tile.  There's usually very few or no yellow tiles to change...
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    His yellow is truly awful, he should not be making the CD's on yellow on top of removing more yellow. It's really badly thought out.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited September 2019
    sinnerjfl said:
    His yellow is truly awful, he should not be making the CD's on yellow on top of removing more yellow. It's really badly thought out.
    Not if the point is to strip yellow off the board to soft-nerf Okoye/Thor ap generation? Also to keep Iceman from doing the same thing on his damage reduction. Not sure how actually effective is it, but Thor can't bust those tiles out if they aren't basic.
  • Monsoon3
    Monsoon3 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    He is going to be a health pack sponge as the required four * in the next PvE event. Him jumping in front of my 5* (especially Okoye) is unbearable. Don't need a Cap when he is down to almost no health jumping in front and "saving" my team.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Monsoon3 said:
    He is going to be a health pack sponge as the required four * in the next PvE event. Him jumping in front of my 5* (especially Okoye) is unbearable. Don't need a Cap when he is down to almost no health jumping in front and "saving" my team.
    He should definitely pop out an iceman type yellow tile if the hit would kill him.  The yellow needs to be reworked....
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Monsoon3 said:
    He should definitely pop out an iceman type yellow tile if the hit would kill him.  The yellow needs to be reworked....
    Most overrated indestructible Shield ever.
  • PiMacleod
    I think i like this idea.

Sure hes a health pack sponge.  But so is bishop, and everyone runs HIM.

If the idea is to starve out the board against opposing thorkoye teams... Then i say lets have this play out.  Wait until we get more people champing him and throwing him out there.  Lets see what happens.
  • Waddles_Pines
    DAZ0273 said:
    Monsoon3 said:
    Most overrated indestructible Shield ever.
    Shield is indestructible, he isn't  :D
  • Waddles_Pines
    edited September 2019
    PiMacleod said:
    I think i like this idea.

Sure hes a health pack sponge.  But so is bishop, and everyone runs HIM.

If the idea is to starve out the board against opposing thorkoye teams... Then i say lets have this play out.  Wait until we get more people champing him and throwing him out there.  Lets see what happens.
    But, you're then flooding the board with red (and blue).  So even if Okoye can't heal for a few turns, her red or Thor red will still wreck havoc. 

Side note, I think in the near future 4Juggs will end up like Bishop with the nerf campaigns....