Which 5* to chase as my first?

helix72
helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
edited August 2019 in Roster and Level Help
4* PvE and PvP player here, trying to decide who to chase as my first 5*. Here are the candidates:

Thor: 3/0/0, already got 1 green feeder from my level 285 Valkyrie
Okoye: 1/3/1, already got 1 black feeder from my level 287 Shuri
Kitty: 1/1/2 (no feeder yet)
Thanos: 3/3/0, already got 1 black feeder from my level 289 Gamora
Jessica Jones: 3/3/1, already got 1 red feeder from my level 297 America Chavez

As you can tell, I have more covers for Thanos and Jessica than the others, but I am concerned about the impact of having either of them be my first and only 5* champ. So while they'd be easier, I'd rather go for the one that would put me in the best position to compete, even if it takes longer, rather than the one that I can simply cover the quickest.

Currently sitting on 2892 CP, hoping for a good anniversary vault. Whoever I choose would become my 5* bonus hero and their feeder would become my 4* bonus hero.

Which 5* to chase as my first? 11 votes

Thor
9%
IIAlonditeII 1 vote
Okoye
45%
LogamericanSpideyWarbringabk201Monsoon3ssbledsoe 5 votes
Kitty
18%
Kari_JurriDoragon 2 votes
Thanos
18%
sambrookjmBeerman63 2 votes
Jessica
9%
AZRAEL5 1 vote
Other (please explain)
0%

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Really, it's going to come down to who shows up in a decent store first. That said, Kitty or Okoye are probably the best to have as a single 5* champ, since they work so well both with and against a variety of other Characters. Jessica Jones and Thor are good, but they won't carry you as a single 5* the way Kitty or Okoye can. Thanos is the PvE king, but would bring relatively little to you in PvP compared to the hit he'd deliver to your MMR.
  • helix72
    edited August 2019
    Thanks @TPF Alexis kinda what I figured. Between Kitty and Okoye do you have a preference? I would guess Okoye can do more team combos but Kitty’s 1-turn special tile killer sure seems handy.
  • TPF Alexis
    edited August 2019
    I have a lot more experience with Kitty, since she was my first 5* champ, and Okoye is my most recent*, so I have a fairly substantial bias towards Kitty. I feel like Okoye is probably the better character overall, tho. The true heal on her yellow (that also gives you more Teamup AP to buff all your damaging powers) is a pretty big deal. But it is hard to compare. Kitty with some Protect tiles can probably save you just as many health packs, and with Strikes, she buffs match damage as well. Plus, as you mention, Circuit Breaker can be amazing against a number of opponents.
    *Plus, as cool as Okoye is, I didn't know who she was until 2016, while I've been a fan of Pryde since I first found out about the X-Men in, idek, the late 80s or early 90s or something.
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2019
       Feel free to read this discussion I posted a few months ago about my single 5* champ experience with Okoye https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/78577/my-5-single-champ-season-experience-was-it-worth-it#latest.   Here's my input from the Okoye prospective, but any advice I give is going to be based on who you have on your roster and what your goal is.

1)  Do you have a champed Rocket and Groot 4*.  Being a 4* player I would think you do, but if you don't have them champed then, you'll either have to work on getting them champed or if that's not possible, then Kitty is not going to be a good option.  Because those two go hand in hand.

2)  Is your goal to finish as quick as you can in PVE or do you enjoy playing around with different teams in the 4* realm?  If your goal is speed, Kitty and R&G 4* are your better choice.  If you like having your boosted 2* Human Torch take out a 10k health enemy, just because, then Okoye is your better option.  Kitty is a somewhat one trick pony with R&G, whereas Okoye (with black covers) makes even some bad characters useful.

3)  If you play PVP what are your goals?  Kitty and R&G are a fairly strong defensive team in PVP whereas Okoye is the opposite.  I see many multiple 5* champ teams put champed Kitty & R&G on defense just because for many people it's an auto skip.  Conversely, thank goodness the AI is rather dumb otherwise matches would be much more difficult, but the AI has really no clue how to play Okoye.  Because of that, she's really no threat defensively.  However, if you enjoy playing your favorite 4*s and want to make them even more fun, then Okoye will fit in perfectly to your play style.

As a side note, if you ever get the chance to get your Thor 5* more covers Okoye and 1/2 Thor are one of the fastest teams out there.  Just keep Thor protected from big hits and he'll provide you Reds, Greens, or Yellows every turn.
  • TPF Alexis
    jtsings said:
    Kitty is a somewhat one trick pony with R&G, whereas Okoye (with black covers) makes even some bad characters useful.
    There are actually a surprising number of Characters who can generate enough tiles fast enough that Kitty really makes a difference. Carnage and Ronin come to mind immediately, and Medusa/Valkyrie/Kitty is great for taking out other Kitty teams in Sim. Okoye does have broader use, of course, but Kitty does actually have more good teammates than the one team we see with her 99% of the time.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can tell you maybe who NOT to start with - Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes) lol. GE Doom has been a good second though.

For my roster, i like Okoye better than Kitty for a few reasons. 1, i'm pretty far along on her vs Kitty who I have at a useless 2/2/0 - roster bias for sure lol. 

Okoye has a true heal, which is very helpful for longevity. It seems the current trend in new release powers has been low-cost, low-damage, occasionally multi-hit powers, which are perfect for Okoye but don't benefit from Kitty unless you have specials around - and for that it typically means you're bringing Kitty + Rocket to everything forever, whereas Okoye can typically add value to everyone up and down the * tiers in your roster. It's a shame your Thor doesn't have 4 or 5 on green, then I think you could use him even like that. I have a 2/0/2 Thor, and he isn't earning AP fast enough to be viable on Thorkoye runs. 

I'm currently chasing Jessica Jones (4/3/4) via Chavez myself, and Okoye (6/4/1) directly via bonus hero. Since i spend as I go, it's taken me since Jan 25, 2019 to take Chavez from 285 to 333. Ideally with a hoard like that you'll be able to land it more quickly. 
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos
    If you do more PvE than PvP, Thanos is king.  You'll likely start going through health packs like crazy until your true healers get a bit higher, but it's amazing how fast you clear those first three levels in PvE with a champed Thanos.  Thanos also gives some of your other lesser-used characters a chance to come out to play (read - be meat shields for Court Death.)  A two turn stun for everyone when you do down somebody is also quite helpful.  In PvP, he doesn't do much for defense.

If you PvP more, it depends on how high your 4-star Rocket and/or Bishop are.  Kitty if they're champed, because those three are nearly an auto-skip team.  Okoye if they're not, because she'll help out just about anyone.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    ^ That's also true. I have a 5/1/2 Thano5 who is leveled to 345, and I run him with 5* Lord who I similarly have at 5/1/3 345, and 4ocket who is at lvl 299. I can win the SCL9 easy nodes with a single swipe of a Star Lord strong color like yellow or green. My Rocket has enough health to last exactly 4 clears of every easy node (unless there are waves) based on that health burn. Then I switch to Okoye/Strang3/3* Thanos (substitute Medusa for Strang3 if there are tile moves in play) to do the harder nodes quickly.
  • helix72
    Why run Thano5? I run Thano3 at 3/5/5 w 4* Rocket and another GotG and can do all 12 easy clears on SCL 9 without needing any health packs. Maybe my easy nodes are easier because I have no 5* champs?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    helix72 said:
    Why run Thano5? I run Thano3 at 3/5/5 w 4* Rocket and another GotG and can do all 12 easy clears on SCL 9 without needing any health packs. Maybe my easy nodes are easier because I have no 5* champs?
    Because he's faster than the 3* Thanos.
    It's not about needing packs, it's about speed.
  • TPF Alexis
    Bowgentle said:
    helix72 said:
    How is he faster on Easy nodes? It's one match per fight with Grocket/5tarLord/3*Thanos. What's faster than that?
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bowgentle said:
    helix72 said:
    How is he faster on Easy nodes? It's one match per fight with Grocket/5tarLord/3*Thanos. What's faster than that?
    You can use the 3* variant on the easy nodes, yeah.
    But those are one-move-kills anyway.
    With big Thanos you can run through pretty much the whole of Enemy Of The State except for the 5* node.
  • TPF Alexis
    Bowgentle said:
    Bowgentle said:
    helix72 said:
    You can use the 3* variant on the easy nodes, yeah.
    But those are one-move-kills anyway.
    With big Thanos you can run through pretty much the whole of Enemy Of The State except for the 5* node.
    OK, that was more like I thought. The post you replied to initially only mentioned the easy nodes, so I was a bit confused there.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okoye
    Thanos if PvE is your main area of play. 

Okoye if you play both PvE and PvP as she is useful in both of these areas, Thanos is fairly one dimensional.