Archangel airborne prevention clarification

Options
AXP_isme
AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
This isn’t technically a bug but falls in to a bit of a grey area.

I tried using AA in the 1:1 node in the Basilica event against vulture. When you read the description of the passive component of AA’s blue power it says ‘does x damage to airborne enemies and stuns them for y turns’. In the 1:1 nodes all the enemy characters are immune to stun (ok, makes sense) so you expect AA to damage the enemy every turn that they’re airborne but not to stun them which is exactly what happens.

My issue is more thematic than with the wording which is being followed exactly. The flavour of the character and ability would suggest that AA is preventing characters from staying airborne. The mechanics by which this is represented is by having a stun overwrite the airborne status. In the event that an enemy can’t be stunned I would still expect AA’s aerial superiority to ground the enemy, removing the airborne status, even if it doesn’t stun them.

I get that this is a bit of a semantic discussion and that the power is working as it is worded but my question is: is this actually what is intended? Could the text be changed to ‘does x damage, returning the enemy to the ground with a bump, and stunning then for y turns’? That gives you leeway to remove the airborne status, which seems the point of the power, as well as having a separate stun component that isn’t compromised by the ‘cannot be stunned’ condition. 

I’m interested in people’s opinions either way. 

Comments

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like it, it's more transparent that way. It also opens up an easier path to other powers that remove a status effect.

In addition (but slightly off the main topic), can I put out there that I really hate the new meta 'can not be stunned' node mechanic?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ^If immune to stun is going to be the new AI fix for Bishop, it would be great if we see it start to roll out to characters we have access too as well lol.

My archangel is terrible, so I didn't attempt that, but I'm interested that that's how it played out. I too would have assumed that it would ground vulture without a stun component. Archangel to me is definitely one of those "we have this set of powers, how do we make them fit a character?" type character designs in my opinion, as opposed to "we have Archangel, how do we transpose his powers to match 3 mechanics?" Like why can't that dude go airborne himself, being a character who is shown flying in nearly 100% of panels in which he is present in comics?