The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 5,128 Chairperson of the Boards
    Pulled a blue Iceman today, need another 55hp to roster him though. I'm sure it'll show up in no time.
    Got a green 5torm for a 1/3/6

i tried using that single blue cover Iceman in the hulk pvp, and man does that stun work well. Highly recommend chasing Iceman
    got a yellow for iceman...this hot run is outrageous yall
    Got a blue Rescue, up to 4/2/4
    Red Rescue came in last night, at 4/2/5 now. I’m curious if/when she gets a feeder who it’ll be. I suppose hulkbuster? 

I champed Howard the Duck this morning because he had 11 saved. I have a bunch of others with 10+ saved but I don’t recall who all is a feeder and who isn’t at this point. I’ll have to look into it.
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 3,000 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could be Rescue too. I get their names confused constantly. Both female iron-people. 
    edited August 2019
    Riri, yeah. That might be. There are quite a few Irons Man in the game now. I have Hulkbuster up at 288, Riri is poised at 279, so as long as I can land another Yellow before she retires, I'll be good to go for an insta-feed.

I've been trying to hang on to hp now in prep for the anniversary. I have a few 3*s that are lining up for max-champ status that I can flip when it rolls around like I did last year - I'll try and champ Devil D before then also since he's got 8 saved. I'm sure something good will happen before then I'll feel compelled to unload for, but that's the plan for now lol.
    Coming down to the wire here on Rescue; I wonder if she'll slip off into Classic with a whisper, or if I'll get lucky?

Got a Miles today, he's at 287. I'll take all the Mileses and Chavezes you want to throw at me, RNGeezus. Shuris and Buckies while you're at it.
    Pulled a green 5torm, sitting at 1/4/6. Good bottom heavy build for a feeder, but I feel pretty good about finishing her at this rate.
    Got another blue Rescue, at 5/2/5. I should probably save up for X at this point, but I think I’ll push my luck.
    yellow Iceman right on the back of that Rescue, 2/0/1
    Pulled a back to back 5torm/Iceman last night. 2/4/6 and 2/0/2 respectively. Still have my fingers crossed for that last yellow Rescue - I find that she's pretty helpful against those Gritty teams I'm struggling with even unleveled like she is at 255.

Putting her with Bishop (still at 209 as i wait on that last usable cover) when he was boosted last, she can steal enemy tiles on blue and then use that red double tap (or triple tap if there are defends on the board) for cheap with Okoye. 
    Had a real 4* bonus hot streak going. Chavez is up to 335 as of today. My secondary batch of feeders I care about is as follows:

Miles: 287
    Bucky: 288
    Shuri: 289

Some of my random recent 4*s have organically grown to ST readiness through no fault of my own
    Ronin: 3/3/7
    Sabretooth: 4/2/4
    Black Cat: 2/6/4

I'm up to 16 saved Bl4ck Widow covers and 15 saved Carnage covers
    I was on a bit of a dry spell, and it did finally break with a Rescue - but it was a red I had to save at 5/2/6. I’m still not sure when professor X is leaving latest, so it’s possible another will show up.
    That’s good advice, but I just don’t enjoy hoarding.

I’d swap covers on Rescue to finish her, I seem to like her more than most. Probably because I don’t have the big meta teams to compare her to. To my mind, another saved cover if I can’t get a yellow is actually months less time chasing a hypothetical feeder since she needs the middle color. Plus I only need 2 more 5torms, so I’m feeling pretty good about that one.
    edited September 2019
    I think if the feeder train were keeping up with the release train, I'd probably be doing a lot better. Also if I were using my 5* bonus hero to get whoever is oldest in latest I might be doing a bit better too, rather than chasing Okoye and JJ like I've been doing. I'm only 15 Chavez covers away from being done with JJ though, and Shuri has been getting covers in the background via RNG. I'll need to take her from 290->340 to finish Okoye depending on the 5* BH situation (she's another one I'd 3:1 to finish, so any bonus hero will shorten my chase by 3-4 months even if it isn't the red I need).

I'm 12 Mileses away from finishing Fi5k, which is where all this started.

But then Danver5 left early at 6/1/3, and she had a feeder while in latest. I could finish her up via C4rol (295), but that's easily a year of bonus heroes if Chavez->JJ is anything to go by. Possibly not, considering she's fed from 2* up, and I haven't attempted that all-in bonus tree yet, but I'd definitely do Lumbercap before I did that.

Hela only made it to 5/2/4; feedable but not an auto-complete since I only have 2 4*s that are at 300+

Cable is also feedable at 1/4/5, but I tend to consider people with 1 on a color to be unrealistic feeds since it means you're going around to the second block of cover drops from a 4* (okoye being one who is worth the chase in my opinion, also JJ).
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 3,000 Chairperson of the Boards
    I get waiting for a feeder.  That’s probably what I would do (I’m skipping her entirely actually). 

But for a guy with only two champed 5* that have overlap in their best active color, I also understand just wanting warm bodies and new toys to play with. Rescue brings a blue outlet and a much much better red than Ghost Rider. She also has utility with Okoye whom you’re building up.

I wish you the best of luck in finishing her. Hopefully you get that last yellow soon. Because I believe every Rescue you pull now, is a Professor you could have pulled later. 
    For sure it's more about adding warm bodies to the roster here. Given that she's oldest, I assume they'd shift over to being 5torms, but yeah, I do agree that X is really strong. I would make the case though that Rescue probably has a better red than Okoye. I worry though that she's just going to tank all of Okoye's colors until I can get Okoye done, so even if I do finisher her, it may be better to soft-cap her rather than champ her for the time being.

In other news, I got 336 for Chavez. Hopefully that momentum persists and I can get JJ done.
    Since that last Rescue pull, i was able to scrounge up 14 pulls for an even 2/day average, but didn't land any 5*s before she left latest. 

In other news - this 3* Doom pvp has a rad boost list, so I climbed all the way to 900 without shielding just using boosted Vulture and boosted Chavez last night. With GE Doom being locked out, I wanted to see what happens using 4*s. After a day, I'm currently floating at 586 pts, which is a huge improvement over how it usually goes when I climb with Doom/Chavez (unboosted). I may see if I can push to 1200 at some point here by hauling Ghost Rider out on my final climb.
    edited September 2019
    Without GE Doom, it’s really tough to win fast enough above 1,000 pts to break 1200. I ended up popping an 8hr Shield to try again later at 1123. Most of the 40+ point opponents have Bishop on them, which makes my Chavez/Vulture team less effective than the even slower Vulture/Peggy, which is contributing to my point loss I think. Maybe I should have tried Okoye/Chavez instead but I didn’t think of it.