Taskmaster: Good, bad, or victim of meta (speed rules)?

Rhadamanthus23
Rhadamanthus23 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
Taskmaster is my personal favourite villain from the comics. I was thrilled when he was released, and right now, I could champ him, but with so many options, he's not very viable when time is of the essence.

Either in PvE optimal clears or in PvP heeled shopping, you just don't have the time to waste scrolling through his possible powers to make him perfect, just to change him again a few minutes later. Are there people who like him, or use him? If so, do you have a standard power set, or a way to know which combo to use in certain circumstances?

Taskmaster: Good, bad, or victim of meta (speed rules)? 21 votes

He's great! You just don't know how to use him. (Please, enlighten us, if this is your answer!)
0%
Choosing three powers for each new node takes too long. I'll never use him.
19%
trat73WarbringaLopan15Rhadamanthus23 4 votes
He's just... meh.
14%
sinnerjflSNKAllen111MCH111 3 votes
He's garbage. I'll stick to the metagame powerhouses.
0%
I don't have enough covers to know.
66%
PuceMoosefirethornesambrookjmJackDeath666maguirenumber6MirrorKnightMelacThaRoadWarriorhelix72AlexRmarvel075RazuhluiBeerman63Hyzen 14 votes

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    His covers haven't been available since he was introduced, so mine is stuck at a low enough level that I can't use him.  On the bright side, he is equipped with his LVL 1 Support., so...yay?
  • Rhadamanthus23
    Rhadamanthus23 Posts: 48 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2019
    His covers haven't been available since he was introduced, so mine is stuck at a low enough level that I can't use him.  On the bright side, he is equipped with his LVL 1 Support., so...yay?
    I figured this would be the main problem most would have for him. I just got lucky, and since I liked him, I was willing to waste extra HP whenever a vault had him. He's just so complicated that I'm not sure he'll ever be viable. Unless, I'm missing something (which is why I asked). I mean, maybe most of his powers aren't quite useful most of the time. Maybe someone likes using a particular configuration, and switches power #1 when facing enemies with stun, for example.

I guess he's too "Limited" to get much thought on the topic... <shrug>
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    I can absolutely see myself using him in Sim occasionally, he looks fun to teambuild with. His problem for regular pvp isn't so much speed-- once you use him a few times you'd probably find a configuration that works best for you in your favourite team and wouldn't need to switch it up literally every battle-- but the fact that he's never boosted. That hurts all the limited characters.
    But yeah, mine is stuck at 1/1/2, so. Might be more fruitful to try to have this conversation after Anniversary, (assuming Anniversary gives out a good amount of his covers a la Dino).
  • Melac
    Melac Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Personally, I'd set him up with moving target/fiddlefaddle, Twin pistols, and... I dunno what black. One of the cheaper ones, Quack-Fu  or nightstalker. Then run him exclusively with Iron Battery. A feedable twin pistols, I'm assuming, would be great when he's championed and 5/5/3.

But if we're talking Meta... He is neither Kitty Pride, 4* Grocket, someone who passively helps them, or someone who counters them within 2 turns. So... Utterly useless.
  • darkwatcherDEZ
    darkwatcherDEZ Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    We thoroughly enjoy Taskmaster... There is so much fun to be had... However, the issue is with what many have predicted with his limited status. He has never been powered up nor essential since his introduction, which limits playabilty in PVE / PVP events. So our joy comes mostly from creative incorporation during Deadpool Dailies. Sometimes, he will be introduced for fun in PVE if he gets tanking and synergy from powered up essentials in PVE.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    He has been boosted in events where villains get boosted. I forget what PVP. I just know I was still a 4* player, had him champed, and used him a lot at the time. He also gets play from me in Combined Arms and Balance of Power. 
  • firethorne
    firethorne Posts: 1,505 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'll tell you when I have him champed.   So, say 5 years from now?
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Useless because he's never boosted, plain and simple. The list of 4*s who are useful unboosted is small, and Tasky isn't on it.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2019
    3/2/2 isn't enough covers to tell, but I feel similarly about him as I do about Howard - numbers are probably too low to truly be good even though the powers and concept are interesting, and covers are too hard to come by to get them to survive my MMR. I like that you can equip him with stuns on multiple colors if you want.

I have mine with:
    R- Fiddle Faddle
    Blue- Billy Club
    Blk- Moonsilver Blades

I do like his version of Speed Shot, since it places the countdowns on Blue rather than Purple the way 2* hawkeye does. Since many of the really good color changer powers are driven by purple (bamf!, whatever the other ones are called...), it's a bummer when you trigger it, and the CDs all land on the color you need to make more match-5s on demand. But I've seen people saying that it isn't scaling the damage to 4* like you'd want, but since that's really an Okoye seed power anyway, maybe that's not a huge deal?
  • Lopan15
    Lopan15 Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    I have him champed at 271 and I never use him.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    He is a fun character and has a nice unique power set but that is why he is limited.  They knew he wasn't a meta character and wouldn't see a lot of use in the game.
  • 111MCH111
    111MCH111 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler
    He's just... meh.
    I have won DPD legendary token with taskmaster
    3 Red: little of the top
    2 Blue: Billy club
    low AP powers, boosts and luck