Talos (quenched laughter) vs. Captain Marvel

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    My 2/2/2 at 127 is totally hopeless in this. Even with a stun, AP steal, and all the match damage boosts I can bring, he is getting stomped flat.

*edit - I added a lvl 200 4* Corvus Glaive support, and increased my health by 1890, got some purple bonus stuff, and then i don't think I'm taking advantage of the 1* perk to fortify a friendly special at start of turn and deal some damage (only works if i've got a stun tile down when it manages to fire), but now I can whittle her down to 980pts before she gets me if I start on a good board...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Captain Marvel has not yet bothered using a single power whilst kerb-stomping Talos face, unless laughter is a superpower.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited August 2019
    YOU GUYS. I did it. I had 329hp left, but I did it with my 2/2/2. I had to use....a support! that extra 1800 hit points and 100+ purple match damage got it done, after like 22 health packs...

LT got me my 3rd purple Ronin in the last 3 days for a sweet 3/3/7 build with a bonus Chavez putting her at 331. 19 more to go for Jessica Jones...
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Talos is stuck at 2/2/2.  My attempts have...not gone well.  First LT I'll be missing in a long, long time.
    Seventh try was a charm!  +100% Match Damage, +50% Purple/Blue match damage, +50% Green/Black damage, and a level 200 Cull Obsidian support that's normally equipped to my 5-star Thanos.  Even then it was pretty close.  I finally got her on a critical match-5 black after being shapeshifted that did about 5K damage thanks to the red imbalance between the two characters.

Token in the hoard.
  • DAZ0273
    She killed me with Event Horizon this time...PROGRESS!!!!!
  • Feliz
    Feliz Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    DAZ0273 said:
    She killed me with Event Horizon this time...PROGRESS!!!!!
    A much more worthy death my friend!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I had an alliance mate put a decent Child of Thanos support he had on his with the same 2/2/2 build I have, and he was able to get it done as well after a few tries. I used Corvus Glaive on mine, he had a better Proxima Midnight so he used that one. I think the biggest help on it is the hp boost you get. If you guys happen to have a support that gives you a big health bonus, I'd recommend going for that.

· If you have a good Chimichanga, that seems like it would really help
    · Quantum Realm might be beneficial depending on the number of * you have
    · All the Children of Thanos seem to add health and match damage on some of Talos' colors, or give you bonuses in red which is Danver5' strongest color that you need to stack up for the match boost (assuming 3* or above)
    · Hydra Henchman give bonus damage against Avengers, mine is awful so I don't know how helpful that might be
    · Vibranium Ore reduces incoming damage at rank 3
    · Taskmaster's Sword does additional damage to heroes, mine is 2* and unleveled, so I don't know if it's significant
    · Vintage Shield gives bonus health at rank 1 and reduces incoming damage at rank 2 - seems accessible and maybe helpful

Anyway, enjoy the majesty of a low-covered, trash-tier 4* with everyone's favorite feature - supports, and see if it's helpful.

• DAZ0273
    I've got Corvus Glaive on mine already and it helps a little, I think my problem is my build being 1/4/1, I can stun her for 3 turns but the other two powers being at 1 just gives me nothing to do once she gets unstunned and recommences pummelling.

I don't have a Taskmaster Sword which irks me greatly as it seems everybody else does! I must have missed that one somehow.
  • froggerjohn
    froggerjohn Posts: 373 Mover and Shaker
    Seems like he tries, and fails, to imitate America's mechanic. It's clumsier, slower, and less effective.
    The match damage certainly ramps up if you can get that big AP advantage, but since it's based on a single color, that makes it highly sensitive to board luck.

I can see the Talos planning meeting now: "MPQ is great, but how can we make it more dependent on RNG?"

Clearly a pattern in this Crash, as the people who win it, generally do so on the back of a great support. Alas, I'm no different. My rank 3 Taskmaster's carried my 5/3/5 level 209 to victory on the first try.

That said, I did see a hint of the damage increase towards the end. You need to deny green, and that makes it harder to get and keep the red AP advantage. But if you can do both, I get the feeling that this is a winnable crash. I recommend either the all-AP boost, or a +1 purple if you don't want to waste the former, so you can shapeshift after two purple matches. And match damage boosts in the other slots.

Valkyrie would actually be the ideal partner to Talos, since she directly and quickly ensures that you have that dominant color superiority.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited August 2019
    His stun destroys N red when the countdown goes off, which helps somewhat to maintain the delta. But you totally have to deny her green and red, and chase that repeater around if you can.

trying to win a crash with a wildly undercovered 4* used to be my favorite part of the game, and I so rarely get to do it now this was pretty fun. 
  • DAZ0273
    I'm thinking that meeting went more like this*:

Dev lead: "Next character is Talos! Thoughts?"
    Dev team: "..."
    Dev lead: "Come on guys, TALOS! He is...uhm (refer to notes)...green! What sort of powers should he have?"
    Dev team: "We have no idea who he is. (looks at picture) He has a stick and people only have sticks to either play fetch with their dog or hit things with. Does he have a dog?"
    Dev lead: "No dog".
    Dev team: "Stun it is then and as he is bad guy he should have purple and black".
    Dev lead: "Great work guys, time for a break, who wants drinkies and pizza?"

3 DAYS LATER

Dev lead: "That really was a great planning session the other day, so what were Talos other powers in the end?"
    Dev team: "Uhm...there was something about purple and then Steve passed out and Brian pretended to be Talos Dog. And then we had more vodka?"
    Dev lead: (checks calendar) "Well...he got released whilst we were passed out it seems. Ooops. So I guess...who's next on the list? Ah...Mysterio...thoughts?"
    Dev team: "Wouldn't it be funny if when you match one colour it actually makes a different one from the one you wanted?"
    Dev lead: "That makes no sense whatsoever but I like it! Good work team! So, drinkies and pizza?"

* None of these events are based on real events except where they might have been but who knows? Not me.

• DAZ0273
    His stun destroys N red when the countdown goes off, which helps somewhat to maintain the delta. But you totally have to deny her green and red, and chase that repeater around if you can.

trying to win a crash with a wildly undercovered 4* used to be my favorite part of the game, and I so rarely get to do it now this was pretty fun. 
    Yeah, I decided in the end that I might as well trade off about 22k iso in the hope of winning so leveled him to 135. I'll keep giving it the ol' college try as they say.
  • Feliz
    Except it is the college from hell and try as in die. 
  • FesterTester
    FesterTester Posts: 51 Match Maker
    Level 130 Talos P1/B3/K2, failed 14 times with lv100 2*Chewie and lots of boosts.
    Finally got lucky on the 8th try with lv150 4*ProximaMidnight (22nd fight overall) and lots of boosts, RNG decided to give me multiple critical-hit cascades and was able to squeeze out a win with 229 health remaining out of 9109 at start.

Basically I just pulled the slot machine lever over and over until it spat out a big pile of cascade damage and AP to stun her.   I imagine her laughter still ringing in his ears as she dares him to try it again.

• Feliz
    Level 130 Talos P1/B3/K2, failed 14 times with lv100 2*Chewie and lots of boosts.
    Finally got lucky on the 8th try with lv150 4*ProximaMidnight (22nd fight overall) and lots of boosts, RNG decided to give me multiple critical-hit cascades and was able to squeeze out a win with 229 health remaining out of 9109 at start.

Basically I just pulled the slot machine lever over and over until it spat out a big pile of cascade damage and AP to stun her.   I imagine her laughter still ringing in his ears as she dares him to try it again.

Kudos to this champ of never quitting!
  • DAZ0273
    Yeah, good work FesterTester! By this point I have joined in  with Captain Marvel stomping on Talos, I hate him so much.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Children of Thanos ftw
  • DAZ0273
    Children of Thanos ftw
    They must have gone on holiday for me or something. I have supported, boosted, I even offered to look after Cap Marvel's pet cat.

Talos is having a grand old time drinking in the Tavern of Defeat (TM) whilst sipping on a Failed cocktail (R).
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    Thanks solely to advice from this thread I won last night with a Level 94 3/2/3 Talos (Boosted + support).
    The key for me was hoarding red. I definitely missed that strategy on my own.

Here I thought I was going to miss this one.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    DAZ0273 said:
    Children of Thanos ftw
    They must have gone on holiday for me or something. I have supported, boosted, I even offered to look after Cap Marvel's pet cat.

Talos is having a grand old time drinking in the Tavern of Defeat (TM) whilst sipping on a Failed cocktail (R).
    Never stop never stopping, my dude. You'll get there if you want it badly enough. or you won't I guess, but if you stop trying, you definitely won't!