MPQ Sneak Peek: August 2019 Edition *Updated (8/23/19)

Comments

• Bugeyed
    Bugeyed Posts: 51 Match Maker
    As it’s X-men versus, why aren’t 5* Storm, Gambit, Cable, Kitty, Iceman and Archangel powered up

the logic always escapes me for this event... it’s either X-men versus or it isnt

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby

As an FYI, X-23 doesn't appear to be powered up during this run of X-Men vs Apocalypse
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    ZootSax said:
    Brigby 

As an FYI, X-23 doesn't appear to be powered up during this run of X-Men vs Apocalypse
    Hmm that's odd. Either there were some last minute changes, or I misread some details. I'll take a look again at the buff list and fix the chart. Thanks for the heads up!
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Bugeyed said:
    As it’s X-men versus, why aren’t 5* Storm, Gambit, Cable, Kitty, Iceman and Archangel powered up

the logic always escapes me for this event... it’s either X-men versus or it isnt

5* Storm is boosted. I've been using her. There are a bunch of others who aren't tho: Rogue, Night Crawler, Psylocke, SWitch is boosted, but Quicksilver isn't, Professor IV, Jubilee, Dazzler, Bishop, Icem4n, Magik, Emma Frost, the 3* versions of Gambit and Angel as well, but 2* Black Widow seems to be for some reason?
    I wonder if it's like Black Vortex, where it's not actually all Guardians and X-Men, but only the ones who were actually involved in the comics event. I don't know the Age of Apocalypse arc well enough to speak to that, but it might explain it.

EDIT: Nurr, 2* BW is boosted because she's the Featured 2*.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apocalypse has fought the X-Men plenty of times such that there’s no specific storyline they seem to be following. Heck, his first big battle was against X-Factor which was just the OG X-men - Jean, Scott, Bobby, Hank, and Warren. 

It’s probably a matter of dev time etc. in terms of updating the list. 
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Updated all sections up till end of next week. Next character is stubbed in till full announcement!
  • bluewolf
    Whew, finished Sim and didn’t have to fight Grittyshop once.

What’s the offseason?  Earth’s Mightiest and Black Vortex?

*runs away screaming....
  • Monsoon3
    Monsoon3 Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    bluewolf said:
    Whew, finished Sim and didn’t have to fight Grittyshop once.

What’s the offseason?  Earth’s Mightiest and Black Vortex?

*runs away screaming....
    I made my push late last night as well. Went from 1100 to 2000 (plus 4000 season total) without fighting them once. Of course the skip button became my greatest asset.

Let the beat down back to 1100 commence.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Plot twist: "New Character (Subtitle)" is actually the new character's name ;)
  • adrianjc
    adrianjc Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    Heard it might be a 4 star Human Torch and the colors make sense so that is my guess.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    I do have to chuckle that we’re celebrating 80 years of Marvel by having the consensus worst 5-star as the required one for the release event.  :)

...to be fair, Webbed Wonder doesn’t have any brutal 5E nodes IIRC, though, so it’s probably not a big deal at any SCL.
  • bluewolf
    My champed Wasp will do just fine with match dmg. Everyone has a champed Wasp, right?   :D
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    bluewolf said:
    My champed Wasp will do just fine with match dmg. Everyone has a champed Wasp, right?   :D
    I'm an Ant-Man cover away from getting her to 3/5/3.  Is that close enough? :(

To be fair, I do use her quite a bit.  Granted, it's as Meat Shield #2 for Thanos's Court Death in the early nodes of PvE.  But she still gets off the bench pretty regularly. 
  • bluewolf
    edited August 2019
    We've been around and around on the whole "how many times does a character need to be essential before they can be in ST?".  The answer is "There's no set number".

So far Black Cat has been essential 3X.  Mysterio is getting his 3rd go round as an essential starting Thursday.  Basically they are equal, the only problem being if you tried to predict who you'd need for ST and leveled Black Cat and/or had favorited her first to get to 10 covers.  (You do have the chance through today to get a cover for Mysterio from Shield Simulator if that helps).

Now...the devs have established by practice (and one subtle statement I ran across on Discord)that the person who is rewarded just before Shield Training, and essential in PVE during it, is one of the 3 essential people there.

I'm sure the devs won't respond with any form of answer that clarifies their pattern....if there is one, and it's not just random to some degree.

If you wanted to try to make sense of a pattern, here is the list of essentials back to 6/3 through the new release this Thursday 8/29, in spoilers:

Talos(L)
    Kingpin
    Rocket&Groot
    Thanos (L)
    Magik (L)
    Ronin (L)
    Black Cat - new
    Invisible Woman
    Spider-man (IW) (FFH)
    Peggy Carter 
    Mysterio - new
    Miles (FFH)
    Sabretooth (L)
    Ronin (L)
    Black Cat (L)
    Gamora
    Kate Bishop
    Sabretooth (L)
    Juggernaut - new
    Ronin (L)
    Mysterio (L)
    Gwenpool
    War Machine
    Black Cat (L)
    Sabretooth (L)
    Mysterio (L)

I guess the last two rounds have followed a Black Cat, Sabretooth, Mysterio pattern (just looking at those 3) so that might be why we have what we have.  Sometimes we get weird things like a Ronin thrown in later than expected though.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    I feel we could lose Switch and Deadpool from this event as they have the weakest X-men links. 
  • DAZ0273
    edited August 2019
    I hadn't even noticed the Shield Training announcement. Of course I concentrated on my Black Cat so it's Mysterio. Oh well, she is a better character in my opinion so I don't feel too badly cheated. Now to chase Juggernaut when he is in packs which will be this week, right?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    I hadn't even noticed the Shield Training announcement. Of course I concentrated on my Black Cat so it's Mysterio. Oh well, she is a better character in my opinion so I don't feel too badly cheated. Now to chase Juggernaut when he is in packs which will be this week, right?
    Alternatively just chase whoever you want, and know you're not getting an auto-cover from ST. It's not as depressing as you think lol. #StillChasingChavez
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 said:
    Alternatively just chase whoever you want, and know you're not getting an auto-cover from ST. It's not as depressing as you think lol. #StillChasingChavez
    But I want to chase Juggernaut!