Nicol Bolas, Dragon God

Shadowslayer
Shadowslayer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
edited August 2019 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Originally posted as clarification on ultimate ability, but was able to figure out my own stupidity. So, lets discuss thoughts on Bolas? Now that I have had my coffee, and am using him correctly, I am really enjoying him.

Comments

• WiLDRAGE
    WiLDRAGE Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    I'll get back to you when he's available for crystals because I'm not paying 53$ CAD for the guy.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Shadowslayer - happy to hear you are enjoying Bolas3. Out of curiosity, do you have any other Bolas in your inventory of PW?

I think the first is alright, draw cards and exile a card from the opponent’s hand is usable.
    His second, killing an opponent’s creature is ok, but Bolas 1 does it cheaper.
    the third I supposed is intended to be a coup de grace, but I it seems way to situational for me to want to kill him in this fashion.

the whole package is rather overpriced, maybe not for you.
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Bolas 1 may kill cheaper but he has to target.
    i like that b3’s 2nd can deal with vanguards as well- saves having to put a card in just in case my opponent is running one.
    i still won’t rate him higher than bolas 2 however- he is just awesome in standard
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    Avahad said:

i still won’t rate him higher than bolas 2 however- he is just awesome in standard

Huh... you make a very good point here. When the bottom 4 sets rotate out soon, the meta will drastically change and Vanguards will likely be seen more and more in matches as the months move forward. In the new standard, Vanguards will be very powerful.

Oktagon did not state that vanguards were a one set mechanic... so we may be seeing more of them in the future.

• Shadowslayer
    Shadowslayer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2019
    Tremayne said:
    @Shadowslayer - happy to hear you are enjoying Bolas3. Out of curiosity, do you have any other Bolas in your inventory of PW?

I think the first is alright, draw cards and exile a card from the opponent’s hand is usable.
    His second, killing an opponent’s creature is ok, but Bolas 1 does it cheaper.
    the third I supposed is intended to be a coup de grace, but I it seems way to situational for me to want to kill him in this fashion.

the whole package is rather overpriced, maybe not for you.
    I have every pw and everything but certain vanguards. So I suppose my opinion is bias. I have the ability to build a top tier deck with all walkers. Nb1 is still the best.
  • Matthew
    Matthew Posts: 605 Critical Contributor
    starfall said:

Also Vanguards are a) mostly rubbish and b) cause lag. That's why I don't play with any of mine, even though I own a bunch. Not even Sorin.
    I mean, "mostly rubbish" and "largely useless" are basically the same thing. But you do make a great point about the lag which they cause. It's just one more reason why I don't use them, even though I have most of them.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    Avahad said:
    Bolas 1 may kill cheaper but he has to target.
    i like that b3’s 2nd can deal with vanguards as well- saves having to put a card in just in case my opponent is running one.
    Target is a double edged sword, but I see your point. So I guess it is a question of preference.

Maybe more Vanguards will come with newer sets, but until now I have only run into one deck, where I lost due to the combo of vanguards. That combo only worked due to a huge mana cascade in the first place. So far vanguards is such a niche, that it is irrelevant that Bolas3 can handle vanguards IMO.
    it may change, but then new cards will also appear which can deal with it.

without having played with Bolas3 I defer ranking him, but 50$ for this? no thanks, man.
  • Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    I can see Bolas3 becoming relevant once standard shifts and if/when Vanguards become more accessible and more prevalent. Vanguards are going to be released with every set, and they said they will eventually release Legacy Vanguards tied to old sets as well.

but at this point in time, Bolas3 seems weak. Definitely not spending $$$ on him, but miiiigggght get him for crystals.
  • Melfire
    Melfire Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    At 58AUD it's far to expensive for my blood 
  • Reichmann42
    Reichmann42 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Ummmm, unless you’re able to get some sort of magical discount here in Oz, try more like $63 AUD! At that price it’s ludicrous to buy him along with the mostly useless WAR boosters thrown in like a set of steak knives.
  • Melfire
    Melfire Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2019
    But yes it costs 58.99 AUD no I don't have a VIP sub so I don't know why they is a price difference... 2/3 of the cost of a AAA game 
    I cannot directly link the pic here but here's a link
    https://pin.it/yvfu56dovdqplj

• Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Possibly a newer player discount vs older established player

One of my sons has a ftp account since April and all his prices show as different to mine. maybe a one off first time discount?