Nicol Bolas, Dragon God

ShadowslayerShadowslayer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
edited 22 August 2019, 17:59 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Originally posted as clarification on ultimate ability, but was able to figure out my own stupidity. So, lets discuss thoughts on Bolas? Now that I have had my coffee, and am using him correctly, I am really enjoying him.

Comments

  • WiLDRAGEWiLDRAGE Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    I'll get back to you when he's available for crystals because I'm not paying 53$ CAD for the guy.
  • TremayneTremayne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    @Shadowslayer - happy to hear you are enjoying Bolas3. Out of curiosity, do you have any other Bolas in your inventory of PW?

    I think the first is alright, draw cards and exile a card from the opponent’s hand is usable.
    His second, killing an opponent’s creature is ok, but Bolas 1 does it cheaper.
    the third I supposed is intended to be a coup de grace, but I it seems way to situational for me to want to kill him in this fashion.

    the whole package is rather overpriced, maybe not for you.
  • AvahadAvahad Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Bolas 1 may kill cheaper but he has to target.
    i like that b3’s 2nd can deal with vanguards as well- saves having to put a card in just in case my opponent is running one.
    i still won’t rate him higher than bolas 2 however- he is just awesome in standard
  • Gunmix25Gunmix25 Posts: 1,193 Chairperson of the Boards
    Avahad said:

    i still won’t rate him higher than bolas 2 however- he is just awesome in standard

    Huh... you make a very good point here. When the bottom 4 sets rotate out soon, the meta will drastically change and Vanguards will likely be seen more and more in matches as the months move forward. In the new standard, Vanguards will be very powerful.

     Oktagon did not state that vanguards were a one set mechanic... so we may be seeing more of them in the future.

  • ShadowslayerShadowslayer Posts: 35 Just Dropped In
    edited 23 August 2019, 01:09
    Tremayne said:
    @Shadowslayer - happy to hear you are enjoying Bolas3. Out of curiosity, do you have any other Bolas in your inventory of PW?

    I think the first is alright, draw cards and exile a card from the opponent’s hand is usable.
    His second, killing an opponent’s creature is ok, but Bolas 1 does it cheaper.
    the third I supposed is intended to be a coup de grace, but I it seems way to situational for me to want to kill him in this fashion.

    the whole package is rather overpriced, maybe not for you.
    I have every pw and everything but certain vanguards. So I suppose my opinion is bias. I have the ability to build a top tier deck with all walkers. Nb1 is still the best.
  • starfallstarfall Posts: 1,625 Chairperson of the Boards
    Matthew said:

    His first two abilities are tied to a class of cards that is largely useless, as of the time that I'm writing this. Also true of these cards is the fact that they're locked away for most players. Making the Vanguard Elite packs dupeable is a pretty awful thing to do, and it still irks me even though I'm not really affected by it. Because of these two facts, Vanguards are a rarity in actual play, which makes his first two abilities pretty pointless.
    Also Vanguards are a) mostly rubbish and b) cause lag. That's why I don't play with any of mine, even though I own a bunch. Not even Sorin.
  • MatthewMatthew Posts: 599 Critical Contributor
    starfall said:

    Also Vanguards are a) mostly rubbish and b) cause lag. That's why I don't play with any of mine, even though I own a bunch. Not even Sorin.
    I mean, "mostly rubbish" and "largely useless" are basically the same thing. But you do make a great point about the lag which they cause. It's just one more reason why I don't use them, even though I have most of them.
  • TremayneTremayne Posts: 852 Critical Contributor
    Avahad said:
    Bolas 1 may kill cheaper but he has to target.
    i like that b3’s 2nd can deal with vanguards as well- saves having to put a card in just in case my opponent is running one.
    i still won’t rate him higher than bolas 2 however- he is just awesome in standard
    Target is a double edged sword, but I see your point. So I guess it is a question of preference.

    Maybe more Vanguards will come with newer sets, but until now I have only run into one deck, where I lost due to the combo of vanguards. That combo only worked due to a huge mana cascade in the first place. So far vanguards is such a niche, that it is irrelevant that Bolas3 can handle vanguards IMO.
    it may change, but then new cards will also appear which can deal with it.

    without having played with Bolas3 I defer ranking him, but 50$ for this? no thanks, man.
  • AmpersandAmpersand Posts: 82 Match Maker
    I can see Bolas3 becoming relevant once standard shifts and if/when Vanguards become more accessible and more prevalent. Vanguards are going to be released with every set, and they said they will eventually release Legacy Vanguards tied to old sets as well.

    but at this point in time, Bolas3 seems weak. Definitely not spending $$$ on him, but miiiigggght get him for crystals.
  • MelfireMelfire Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    At 58AUD it's far to expensive for my blood 
  • Reichmann42Reichmann42 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Ummmm, unless you’re able to get some sort of magical discount here in Oz, try more like $63 AUD! At that price it’s ludicrous to buy him along with the mostly useless WAR boosters thrown in like a set of steak knives.
  • MelfireMelfire Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    edited 24 August 2019, 05:48
    But yes it costs 58.99 AUD no I don't have a VIP sub so I don't know why they is a price difference... 2/3 of the cost of a AAA game 
    I cannot directly link the pic here but here's a link
    https://pin.it/yvfu56dovdqplj

  • AvahadAvahad Posts: 117 Tile Toppler
    Possibly a newer player discount vs older established player

    One of my sons has a ftp account since April and all his prices show as different to mine. maybe a one off first time discount?
Sign In or Register to comment.