Doctor Octopus "Insult to Injury" triggers on unmatched special tiles destroyed by a match-4

jamesh
jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

This feels like a regression compared to previous behaviour, but I obviously have no way to compare with old versions of the game.

From a reading of Doctor Octopus's black power, he should only create attack tiles when an enemy special tile is part of a match.  When a player makes a match-4 or match-5 to clear a line, my understanding was that only the tiles that were part of the match-4 counted as "matched", with the other tiles simply being "destroyed".  So I would only expect the power to fire if a special tile was part of the match.

In the recent Doctor Octopus PVP event, I have noticed multiple occasions when a match-4 cleared a line containing a special tile (but wasn't one of the matched tiles) and attack tiles were still created. This happened both for my team and the AI enemy team.

Comments

• jamesh
    Looking through other bug report threads, I wonder if the underlying cause is the same as for this one?

• Tombstone
    Tombstone ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 1,208 Chairperson of the Boards
    @jamesh
    I've checked with the team, and this power is designed to trigger whenever you match an enemy special tile or destroy an enemy special tile by such means as a clearing a line with a match 4. 
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Sabretooth's "You Shoulda Run" works the same way.

Even though the description says "When you match an enemy Strike tile..." the game considers a Strike tile destroyed by a match-4 to be a part of the match even though the Strike tile is not one of the 4 matched tiles.

It makes him just that little more useful against Gritty teams.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I noticed this as well, and didn't recall it working like that before, but, well, I don't exactly use Ock all that often, so it doesn't surprise me that it works differently from how I remember.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    I noticed this as well, and didn't recall it working like that before, but, well, I don't exactly use Ock all that often, so it doesn't surprise me that it works differently from how I remember.
    This is true.  It used to only work when the special tile was part of the match, not when it was destroyed.  They (the game makers) made a big deal between the verbage of "tile matched" and "tile destroyed"... somewhat around the time of either Medusa or De4dpool.

It seems the new engine forgot to keep that destinction.
  • jamesh

My guess about it being related to the Medusa bug is based on the hypothesis is that the non-matched tiles in a line clear are now generating both a "tile matched" and "tile destroyed" event.

The spurious "tile matched" event would explain the Doctor Octopus behaviour change, and the pair of events would explain why Medusa is generating twice as many attack tiles.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sabretooth seems to be working this way also; did they revert the line-clear trigger "fix" that nerfed traps by accident? I need to test with Dar3Devil's red...