Would you be in favor of being able to use the 4* variant of the character featured in 3* PVP Event?

Options
jtsings
jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
edited August 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
  If this has been asked before then I apologize, but I'll broach the subject again since I guess my memory is bad :) .  We all know that we have the Deadpool PVP where we can use either the 3* or 4* version of the character why can't that be done in other PVP's as well?  I've heard many people talking about the lack of 4* PVPs; this would be, I think, a decent way of getting at least a few 4* PVPs each season and it won't punish 3* rosters because they can use their 3* characters even if they don't have the 4* variant.   I guess candidates for this would be: Capt. Marvel, Gamora, R&G, Elektra, The Hulk, Deadpool, Star-Lord, Sam Wilson, Cyclops, Wolverine, Black Panther, Black Widow, Thor, Blade, Luke Cage, Spider-Man, Iron Fist, The Punisher, Iron Man, Hawkeye and Thanos.  Would you be in favor of this or is there a reason you think this would be a bad idea?

Would you be in favor of being able to use the 4* variant of the character featured in 3* PVP Event? 39 votes

Yes
61%
ThanosfirethornekillercoolIridious[Deleted User]The rockettJezequelThe Viceroy Returnsbonny79bluewolftchipleyMonsoon3captainheathMomo988ZolomPyram7helix72randomhero1090Ares76jp1 24 votes
No
25%
Kolencejackstar0Arctic_OneMalcrofTwomp_thaDJTony_FootMushroomGenius808ReecohVins2Mrcl25 10 votes
Not Sure
5%
jameshThaRoadWarrior 2 votes
Other (explain)
7%
JSP869Team_JacobHilk 3 votes

Comments

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No
    I'm solidly in the 5* game, but I remember the early game pretty well and having to fight off a boosted 4* version (or just getting beaten by them) because I've climbed up enough points seems un-fun to me.

So for the new players, I say nay.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not Sure
    I don’t have faith it’ll be handled gracefully, and whoever loses out from this change is going to lose out hard. But I would welcome less 3* required pvp
  • Momo988
    Momo988 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Yes
    I would like to change mine to other. Allow the 4* variant, but unboosted. So you can use a boosted Iron Man or an unboosted Hulkbuster
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So the choice is to face either a 3* with Kitty and R4G or a 4* with Kitty and R4G. Let me think about that.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Other (explain)
    I'd be interested in how well PvP could work if they ran 3* and 4* events concurrently, and maybe you could join one or the other, but not both.

The two events would not have to feature 3* and 4* versions of the same character.
  • Southside84
    Southside84 Posts: 93 Match Maker
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Definitely not.   Pvp is a meat grinder without facing additional 4 stars.   The 3 star is the only saving grace from some of these teams. 
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not Sure

A while back they said they planned to run more 4* versus events, but then quietly walked it back.  When asked about it, the devs said that they saw lower engagement in the 4* events.

If we assume the lower engagement was from newer players, then there are two possible reasons: (a) they were intimidated by other players with champed versions of the featured character, or (b) they didn't enjoy being forced to use the loaner 4* character.

A hybrid 3/4 versus event would help with (b), but won't necessarily help with (a).  And with dilution being even more of a problem now, there's an even bigger divide between the haves and the have nots.

• Team_Jacob
    Team_Jacob Posts: 90 Match Maker
    Options
    Other (explain)
    I would like to play with the 5*variants, if we have one. I'd really appreciate it if we could use that as a sorting method, so I feel like I'm not just smashing 3*
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not Sure
    jamesh said:

A hybrid 3/4 versus event would help with (b), but won't necessarily help with (a).  And with dilution being even more of a problem now, there's an even bigger divide between the haves and the have nots.

I'm not even sure it will help with b, because the 3* players are almost certainly going to get MMR'd up against the 4*s, just like happens in the Claws for Concern and other events with mixed-tier requireds, so I have a feeling it is just going to make them feel even more excluded.

I kind of think the "real" solution is to offer upper tier players the ability to play against upper tier players. Either by doing the A/B events where you pick, or by making SCLs mean the same thing that they mean in PVE (enemy difficulty gating) - using that same terminology for a completely different concept across both modes has been a huge UX problem since it was introduced.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The format of PvP will have to change totally. Anyone remembers the survey they asked last year(?) regarding PvP format? It goes something like fighting against a selected group of enemies with a range of level vs some other format. I thought that was interesting.
  • The Viceroy Returns
    The Viceroy Returns Posts: 491 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes
    I really only voted yes because ti would add some variety that is sorely lacking in the game overall (not just PVP).  So that's really just me.

If it did happen though, there would still need to be several adjustments.
    For one, it would need to run a 3 Star version and a 4 Star version in parallel to each other, you choose which version to play.  Basically, they can't mix together.
    The struggle is definitely real for early and mid rosters though, and making PVP even harder/longer to play would not be helpful to them.

But now that I think about it, I want to change my answer to "not sure" because slogging through a PVP fight with a 4 Star in there means a longer fight and taking more damage, so it may not be beneficial after all.

Funny how vets ask for features/tweaks/etc that would require us to play the game faster or even less often.
    That's not exactly a ringing endorsement of the current state of the game.
    Let's be real, requiring 2+ hours of play per day just to keep up, and often only marginally advance due to 4 & 5 Star progression, is a big ask of any game.

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes
    Not every event, but some.  Like the Wolverine event we just had.  You could use the 3/4/5.  I thought that was cool.

Personally like to see more events that force you to use certain combinations.

Just get Bishop out of the game and all will be well :)