Lo-res to hi-res graphics

Options
JSP869
JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
I just did today's Behemoth Burrito, and when I made a black match and Bullseye jumped to the front I noticed the game was still using his blurry/lo-res art. After a few seconds he popped into 'focus' when the game installed his hi-res art.

Sometime later this year I expect to upgrade my phone, and I am not looking forward to going through all of this again when I reinstall MPQ and run it for the first time on my new phone.

If I do a fresh install of the game some tine after R184, will it skip the lo-res assets and only install the hi-res versions?

If it will not, but will make me go through all the same **** that I've been experiencing the past week where every match with a new character will be blurry until the hi-res assets are loaded & installed, can you please add an option for the User to download AND install ALL the hi-res art/assets (etc.) all in one hit.

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,310 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was browsing the App Store reviews and counted a couple dozen reviews complaining about fuzzy graphics.

The informed players know that it's supposed to be fixed after you use a character, but you know no one's going back to their review and saying "Oops, it's all better now."

I don't know if a fix/major download is possible.  But it might be in the best interest of the developers to work on that.

Not a good look when many of the most recent reviews say the update is terrible.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Honestly, does it matter much?   It takes 2-3 seconds and it is done.  I will take the fuzzy graphics for 2-3 seconds over waiting 1 minute for a match to start for every character when switching to a new device.  
  • grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Wondering what the justification is for the fuzzy graphics on Steam.  Shouldn't that all already be downloaded locally?  If not, why did I have a 2 GB patch when this update came out?
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 976 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It has to be fuzzy logic.
  • Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,566 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Don't notice anything on Android, but my Steam account still shows a screen with numbers and no art at least once a day. Yesterday it took 20 seconds for the graphics to appear, strangely enough the TU tiles were the first ones to appear and were the only ones for about 10 seconds.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,724 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It isnt all-the-time.... But i do notice that sometimes, even if i know ive used something before, it still loads low res first, and for the briefest moment, it goes from low to hi.

Its not annoying per se... But more curious than anything.  I guess to speed up load times, it always loads the low first, then the hi, and then downloads any hi res it hasnt received yet...?

Im guessing depending on the make and model of your device of choice, this can probably happen slower or faster.

Note: i like techy stuff, but im more of a jack of all trades than a master in any one thing. I also like breaking things down to normal speak... Not just for myself, but it saves translation time for everyone involved.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm still getting it on the loading screen. First cycle through everything is hi-res, but then second cycle through Spidey & Fury are blurs. I can only assume it is some sort of loading glitch.
  • JSP869
    Options
    Strangely, I got it on one of the cut scenes in Unstable Iso-8's The Americas. When the art loaded it was blurry for a brief moment, then it popped into focus. I've never noticed any of the cut scenes being blurry before. Of course I did FF them whenever possible :P
  • JSP869
    Options
    Wow.

The announcement/advertisement for the free digital comic just loaded in blurry as ****, and took several seconds to be upgraded to hi-res.

Does it matter much? Yes, yes it does, to me, or I wouldn't be complaining about it.
    R184 has been out two weeks, and the "fix" for R184 for almost the same, and yet this is still going on.

Why are the announcements loading in lo-res?

And why are Steam users having lo-res to hi-res issues? At the very least the Steam "upgrade" should have installed ALL of the hi-res graphics in one hit.

I've played several other mobile games that have offered lo-res and hi-res graphics, and they've ALL given the User the option to download and install all of the hi-res graphics in one hit.

MPQ is the only mobile game that I've played that has handled a lo-res to hi-res "upgrade" in this piecemeal, 'just-in-time' manner.

Next time you do something like this, please, just download and install & upgrade ALL of the assets at the same time.

Yes, there would be data charges for Users that may update over mobile data instead of over WiFi, so warn the User about the massive download, and give them the option to postpone the update until they're on WiFi.
  • grenadier
    grenadier Posts: 135 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Steam version has the aforementioned Lo-res issues, as well as some very bad screen transitions.  Specifically, when claiming tokens, if you use your last Heroic, for example, you will see the 1* tokens before the Heroic token opens.  So it's drawing the next screen before actually opening the token, instead of after.  I'm sure someone though this was more efficient, but it just comes off as sloppy.