Disable immersive mode on Android (or provide a back button close to the bottom of the screen)

Options
jamesh
jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

With the most recent update turning on immersive mode on Android, I've come to notice how much I actually made use of the soft buttons at the bottom of my tablet when playing the game.

I know I can perform a swipe up from the bottom of the screen to display the buttons again, but that is slower and sometimes inadvertently activates one of the game's buttons on the bottom row. I also know that there is usually an in-game back button in the top left corner, but that is the least convenient place to put such a button ergonomically: my right hand will usually be at the bottom right of the screen, so this is about as far away as you can put the button.

If you don't want to turn off immersive mode again by default, please consider providing an option to turn it off.

Comments

• abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just like with most Apple things, they have to hinder Android users to make our experience as ****, err... I mean, as "equal" to the iOS users.  They don't have a back button, so we can't have one either.

• BlackWidow70
    BlackWidow70 Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Missing the back button is driving me nuts.  Just saying.
  • GMac
    GMac Posts: 7 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'd like the back button returned too.  The top left is just too far to reach with one hand from any position that is comfortable to hold the phone.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If it's not possible to allow the user to toggle on and off Immersive Mode, can the game's own back button be moved to the bottom right corner. If not for Steam then at least for the mobile version.

Alternatively, for those who may like the back button in the top left corner (left-handed people, perhaps?), perhaps the user could have an option to select the corner for their back button?
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I have the Galaxy S8 which comes with the Bixby button (a physical button) on the side of the phone which typically sits right under my left thumb.

I downloaded an App in an attempt to remap the Bixby button as a back button. It did not work.

I currently have gestures turned on, as I noted above, and I'm slowly getting used to swiping up instead of tapping a back button, but I still find it rather silly that I had to change my phone's UI to counter "Immersive Mode".
  • Weltenzeichner
    Weltenzeichner Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options
    An option to turn it off would be great, using both hands on a mobile is pretty annoying.