Could use advise on what to do next with my roster

2»

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Give it a shot. SCL7 is brutal for top placement, but the Progression Rewards are much better, and even just two clears on the 5* Essential is another Event Token and CP each day. Jtsings has some good advice for how to pick one to try, but really, the only way to find out for sure is to jump in.
  • Falconfreak
    Falconfreak Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
    You can see my roster if you search. My one veteran alliance member thinks I can do progression with my current roster and just not worry about placement rewards since the 4* progression cover is worth it.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    i just play to progression, it's way less stress. I have all the non-Iceman 5*s so i can just 4x clear everything each sub on SCL9
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    If you are ready to accumulate 4* covers (and it seems you have most of the 4s rostered already so at least you don't need to spent HP you don't have) then it's time to try SCL 7.  You don't even need full progression for the 4* cover but you do need it for the CP. So you should be pushing to get the CP too.

I can't see your roster (not sure where to search for it), but your top priority is to get 4* Rocket champed ASAP. His strikes are game changers in PvE (cut my clear times in half or more and made CL7 trivial).

KGB
  • Falconfreak
    KGB said:
    If you are ready to accumulate 4* covers (and it seems you have most of the 4s rostered already so at least you don't need to spent HP you don't have) then it's time to try SCL 7.  You don't even need full progression for the 4* cover but you do need it for the CP. So you should be pushing to get the CP too.

I can't see your roster (not sure where to search for it), but your top priority is to get 4* Rocket champed ASAP. His strikes are game changers in PvE (cut my clear times in half or more and made CL7 trivial).

KGB
    I'm not sure  how to search but someone said for me to put my username and alliance in my signature so people could search and see my current roster to give the best advice.

I have all 3* characters and all of them are 13/13 except for Electra. I have 14 or so champed 3* including the mandatory Dr Strange and IM40. I have almost all 4* characters except for like 8? I believe. I have one 4* champed in Ghost and can only champ Red Hulk and Moon Knight in terms of 4* at this point.

I thought I would need to be deeper into 4* champs to try SCL7 but it seems I should be able to at least do progression?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited August 2019
    If you are only concerned with progression, all you need to be able to do is win battles at all. Placement is about winning quickly. You can almost certainly Thanos your way through the "easy" nodes in 7, and then you'll probably have to get creative on the required character nodes and "hard" nodes. But with Ghost in play, you should be able to empirically win enough to get progression. Also, I'd highly recommend champing Rulk and Moon Knight, they're both very good.

• Falconfreak
    If you are only concerned with progression, all you need to be able to do is win battles at all. Placement is about winning quickly. You can almost certainly Thanos your way through the "easy" nodes in 7, and then you'll probably have to get creative on the required character nodes and "hard" nodes. But with Ghost in play, you should be able to empirically win enough to get progression. Also, I'd highly recommend champing Rulk and Moon Knight, they're both very good.

What has been holding me back was seeing the top enemy level in the 300's when my max character with more than one power was only 270.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019

What has been holding me back was seeing the top enemy level in the 300's when my max character with more than one power was only 270.
    That's only on the hardest nodes and I believe only on special nodes where there are fewer than 3 enemies (ie a single boss character like in the Howard the Duck event on the final day vs Doc Ock). Right now I've done my 4 clears in the current R&G event and the enemies in the hardest nodes are only (5E - 245, 4E - 210, 3E - 210, 6th node - 245, 5th node - 225). You should be able to handle those with Ghost plus Rulk/MK or even 3* champs like Strange.

You don't even need to do the 5E node for progression and if you can just beat it twice you get an event token and 1 CP so that's all you should aim for (if you have the 5E character)

KGB
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Remember, too, that often that highest level of scaling will just be Goons in many of the nodes. With a few exceptions (e.g. Maggia Muscle), you should be able to handle Goon nodes that are way above your Characters' level. Also, if you don't need to do it fast, there are a lot of teams that can "punch up" pretty effectively, Winfinites and StunLocks and such.
  • Falconfreak
    To update:

I have been crushing SCL7. I champed 3* Cap, Storm and Patch. I have champed out Red Hulk and Vulture. I have enough covers to get Moon Knight and Sabretooth champed just need iso.

Most of my 3* are at least level 130 except for like four or five. That lets me do the DPD. My goals now are to get Sabretooth and Moonie champed and then go back to finish off the 3* champs.

One of my teams I want to do is 3* Wolvie, 3*IM40 and Sabretooth. I don't really have or know of 4* that would give enemy strike tiles to get Sabretooth going. So Patch would give him that.  I also want to get Carnage and Medusa 13/13 so I can work on champing them  because that combo will be fun.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    To update:

One of my teams I want to do is 3* Wolvie, 3*IM40 and Sabretooth. I don't really have or know of 4* that would give enemy strike tiles to get Sabretooth going. So Patch would give him that.
    Elektra does that.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    4* Elektra purple is what you after.
  • Falconfreak
    So based off my roster with who I have what would be the optimal lineup with Sabretooth?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Prowler make sure enemy’s strikes, but on the same color as Sabertooth. Also the board shake from ‘tooth isn’t as helpful as you might think with prowler.

you might consider domino-competes for red but floods the board with Black for more shake and to power sabretooth’s black.
  • Falconfreak
    Update on roster:

I have champed some 4 stars:

Taskmaster
    Medusa
    Carnage
    Ronin

They now join my only other 4 stars: Ghost, Vulture and Red Hulk.

I have the following 4 star at 13/13:

Devil Dinosaur
    Howard the Duck
    Juggy
    Chavez
    Iron Man Hulkbuster
    Moon Knight
    Sabretooth

Which of them should I champ next? I was thinking Juggy could tank for Medusa/Carnage. I also use Medusa with Taskymaster and Ronin which is a strong team. Would Chavez be a better 3rd with Medusa Carnage?

Out of the other 4 stars who would be worth trying to champ next? Just for personal likes I always like Ghost Rider, Kraven and the Thing.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    Juggernaut if you play PvE is going to speed things up (although not as much as if you had R4G with him) but is also pretty nasty on defence in PvP with that damage reduction being a scarecrow.

Chavez is pretty much designed to work with 5* (also MEH Hulk) or characters who generate lots of AP. She is a very good character and I guess she would benefit from the blue and green AP Medusa can generate but I wouldn't really see them as that synerginestic myself (but don't let that put you off - I'm terrible at this game, lol!).  Moon Knight is a brilliant third on a Vulture/Red Hulk team for lots of Moonsilver Blades - he overlaps with Vulchy on black of course but I find it doesn't tend to matter that much. Personal bias but Moon Knight is one of my favourites in this game and he can win matches single handedly, especially when boosted. Chavez comes a close second - she is annoying pest once she gets her headbutt thing going and is fantastic across wave nodes (and against Bosses who don't collect AP i.e. Galactus). CHAMP THEM BOTH!!!

DD & Howard are trophy characters and not priorities.

That leaves Sabretooth and Hulkbuster. Sabretooth is a beast but his black can sometimes be hard to match the strikes for and his red works best with an Okoye on the team for souped up damage. He is great against K-Silly. Hulkbuster is pretty outdated now but he is boosted in a lot of Boss events and his red still hits like a truck. I guess it depends on who you are going up against - until you have Bishop Sabretooth is a decent stop gap against Gritty teams but nowhere near as certain for a win.

In terms of other teams you are sorely lacking a stun champed character. For this purpose and bearing in mind you have a champed Vulture & Red Hulk - Iceman is the logical priority as those two feed him for both stun and aoe nuke (and what a good one it is too).

Otherwise obviously R4G, Captain Marvel and Gamora.

• Falconfreak
    I have Bishop, R4G, 4* marvel and gamora but they are only like 4-9 covers each.
  • Falconfreak
    I champed Juggy. I will work on chavez now. I've been trying for months to get R4G, Bishop, marvel and gamora covers in the 4 star range but just never get them despite BH.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Some non-traditional advice: maybe you shouldn't champ any of them yet.

One of the mistakes I made when first starting in the game was trying to level individual covers too fast. My level 315, 4-cover, 5* Hawkeye turned PvP into a miserable experience for the better part of a year until I started getting some key 4* champs (I could have sold Hawkeye, but 5* covers are not easy to come by). Leveling up too fast will mess up your MMR, especially if the higher level toons are not top tier. I found I had a better game experience when I slowed down and focused on getting everyone to certain baseline levels (with the exception of top tier 4*s--more on this in a moment).

Using SHIELD training as a guide, once I figured this out, I focused on getting every 4* to level 94 first, then to level 150, then 209. Only after I had all of them at 209 did I then start champing more of them. And when new toons are released, I still get them to 209 before spending ISO to champ any of my old ones that are already sitting there.

That said, I don't think there's an issue getting any of the meta 4*'s champed before you have all the rest leveled up. I would put Grocket at the top of that list, in the 3-4 transition he makes life so fast and easy. Ironically, as you start champing more 4*s his effectiveness gets muted because the enemy levels go up, but Grocket's strike tiles don't get proportionally stronger until you add Kitty.

Chavez for me is definitely top tier. Juggy is IF you have the right companion(s).

IMHO Chavez would have been better to champ first of the ones you have ready. Juggy works best with a strike tile placer, and while Juggy's wonderful, if those strike tiles are underpowered or matched away, the battles become super tedious. Come back and tell me you have a decently covered Kitty and I'll change my answer.

Chavez is great because you can pair her with whoever is boosted at any level, plus if you have any of the supports that either increase match damage or increase crit multipliers those can boost her and her teammates up as well. If she's tanking colors I'd suggest she's best at 5/3/5 because she'll hit like a mack truck.

Pair her with Cardusa and you'll be generating Blue, Green, AND Purple whenever anyone (you or the AI) destroys (this is new, it used to only be when matched) the enemy attack tiles Carnage generates so if you focus on collecting Red, Yellow, and Black you'll have more AP than the AI in short order, and America's crits will start dropping in no time.

Hard node? Equip "+1 to all AP" and watch turn 1 start with a crit. Get lucky and you'll have a match-4 or cascade from the start.

I also love pairing America with The Hood and whoever is boosted as a 3rd. Even though I have 70 4* champs, I still use that pair more often than any other. If I had a usable Kitty, I suspect Grockitty would be my most used pair. Or if I had a usable Thorkoye. But I have neither.

As for the rest, my experience:
    Hulkbuster and Moon Knight I use only when boosted
    Sabretooth I haven't champed yet. I think he could be useful but I have other solutions to strike tile makers (Bishop & Red Hulk & Kraven & Dazzler). If I didn't, I'd probably consider putting him above Hulkbuster and Moon Knight (but not America or Juggy)
    Devil Dino and Howard are trophies. Use them for fun and diversity, not effectiveness.