Nerf Bishop

justsing
justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
edited August 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
Bishop is badly broken and OP. I've been saying this ever since I was a 4* player who used and abused him against 5* teams. The combination of the jumping in front mechanic + AP gain means he's always gaining at least 5 blue AP from any sort of 5* match damage. That is absurd, regardless of the stunning aspect. 

The wall of Bishop teams in PVP is not fun, and unlike with Gambit, bringing your own Bishop doesn't guarantee that you'll win. Other "solutions" like using 4*s or Silver Surfer aren't real solutions since not everyone has (read: most people don't have) high level 4*s that have enough health to deal with teams like Bishop / Kitty / R4G and Silver Surfer is stuck in Classics hell and isn't exactly a heavy hitter.

There are several ways to rebalance him that won't make him completely useless. As others have suggested, you could tweak his jump-in-front mechanism to be more similar to XFDP, making it possible to not trigger him on defense (while keeping him useful on offense). Or you could change his blue AP gain to be based on absorbing protect tiles. All great suggestions by other people.

Anyways, I don't care how exactly they tweak him as long as they do it so that he's no longer OP af. Who's with me?

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nerf Kitty but especially nerf Okoye.
  • Warbeast_7
    Warbeast_7 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    DAZ0273 said:
    Those 2 are fine. Bishop is indeed OP however I must say
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    DAZ0273 said:
    They are the top of the 5* tier, but they are very beatable.

@justsing nailed it.  A 4* shouldn't be built to be better against 5* teams then 4* teams.  I hate to see him nerfed into oblivion but the Grittyship wall in shield is really...well...dumb.
  • justsing
    justsing Posts: 507 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    Powerful is not the same thing as OP. Nerfing them just means you'll get another meta that you'll want nerfed (unless you have that meta yourself).
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    I once attacked an Okoye, 5* Strange, Bishop. That's nightmare fuel. 

I just think we need a 5* or two made to counter him. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like him. He's the one and only character in the game that offers legitimate defense of any kind. Before him, any time you hit a decent score in Simulator, it was nothing but defensive losses popping up every ten seconds. Now, I don't have to start every Simulator run picking up the 350 points I lost overnight first. 
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    tiomono said:

But what would that look like that wouldn't also be game-breaking??
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    tiomono said:

But what would that look like that wouldn't also be game-breaking??
    Maybe troll him with another passive.

5* Deadpool
    Hey it's my turn! (Passive) Black
    "If the enemy gains 4 ap or more on your turn they get stunned for 4 turns."
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    For the first time in my MPQ career, I hit 1,000 points in a PvP event (the Stop at Nothing event). I'd like to thank my champed and boosted Yondu, my champed (but unboosted) Bishop, the loaner 1/1/1 Juggernaut, with a special thanks to all the Gritty teams who sat floating out there. Thank you indeed.

I love Bishop now. I'm sure I'll despise him once I get to 5* land. But in the meantime...
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    Does he make you think twice about attacking a particular team...yes.  Is it because that team has Gritty or Okoye....probably.  Would you attack a team with Bishop and a non-meta 5* pair....yes you would.  Lot of complaints about Bishop that could be equally applied to 5* meta characters.  Be careful when making nerf wishes.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    95% of 4* are useless. Do something to let us use them.

Here comes Bishop!

Why would I want to use 4* just to counter him?
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    95% of 4* are useless. Do something to let us use them.

Here comes Bishop!

Why would I want to use 4* just to counter him?
    Why? Because every person in my MMR will murder me....how many times do you need to hear it?
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    Just another 5 star roster singing the same solo, but the tune is getting boring, repetitive and rote. Bishop is doing what he was designed to do, by making teams think harder or pay ISO to find teams they want to face. Gone are the days you can blindly wallop through the game with a 5-star meta character. Long live Bishop's reign.
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker

I hate nerds...
    They feel the same about you
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is a thread I posted on the bugs sub-forum that would temper Bishop a bit:
    The biggest problem I see is that his blue doesn't behave as described in the text, which can lead to an opposition team cascade leading to generating way more blue AP than the power description would indicate.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    i have to agree with the nerf/change sentiment. i've had matches where the other team has 30 blue ap before they take their first turn. but almost every time they end up with at least 10-15. there's no way around it. 

if they arn't going to change him, and why would they - they havn't made any changes, nerfs, improvements, or reworks in forever, then maybe they should change gambit & oml back to their pre-nerf versions. why not?