Could use advise on what to do next with my roster

Falconfreak
Falconfreak Posts: 118 Tile Toppler
You can see my account name and alliance in the signature. I am currently level 69. I have all 2* champed/farming. I have all 3* characters with 14 of them champed. I have almost all 4* characters. I have six or so 5* stars.

I know not to bother champing my 5* star people until much later. I have gotten conflicting advise on the 3* and 4* roster.

Should I not bother to level up my 4* characters until I completely champ my entire 3* roster? This seems to be the majority opinion when I asked in alliance. My alliance only has a handful of serious players as the alliance name suggests it is for casual players which is totally fine.

I would like to level up my 4* characters that I like using but I don't want to completely screw up pvp for myself. I'm already being forced to pick the 32+ option in pvp events where I consistently run into teams with 300+ characters in all 3 slots.

Is it truly better to forget my 4* characters until I champ out the entire 3* roster in the game?

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you have multiple 5* characters, they're probably why you're seeing lvl300+ Characters* in PvP anyhow. Regardless, if you do have 4* who are well-covered enough to be genuinely useful, and you're not cutting into how fast you can get 3* champed**, go ahead and drop some ISO on them. If you keep them below the level of your highest 3* champs, they definitely won't affect your MMR.
    * Note that the Clearance Level you choose doesn't have any effect on who you see. All it determines is your rewards. Unless you can get good placement, it's best to play in the highest SCL you can.
    ** 3* champ rewards are an important part of the HP income that will let you get everyone Rostered. Delaying that to level up a few 4* is going to leave you in a bind at some point.
  • Falconfreak
    If you have multiple 5* characters, they're probably why you're seeing lvl300+ Characters* in PvP anyhow. Regardless, if you do have 4* who are well-covered enough to be genuinely useful, and you're not cutting into how fast you can get 3* champed**, go ahead and drop some ISO on them. If you keep them below the level of your highest 3* champs, they definitely won't affect your MMR.
    * Note that the Clearance Level you choose doesn't have any effect on who you see. All it determines is your rewards. Unless you can get good placement, it's best to play in the highest SCL you can.
    ** 3* champ rewards are an important part of the HP income that will let you get everyone Rostered. Delaying that to level up a few 4* is going to leave you in a bind at some point.
    I made the decision not long after playing that in the long run it is better to roster every character you get in the game. That's how I have several 5* characters.

My highest level 4* are Ghost, Red Hulk, Vulture and Moon Knight. The Deadpool daily is about to have Ghost as the clash of titans so it is the first one since I started playing that I might be able to finish so I've been putting ISO into her.
  • Falconfreak
    Which 3* should I focus on champing out of the remaining ones I have?

I have all 3* with 14 already champed. You can see my roster in the sig.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    From the ones you have covered I would go for Patch, Super Steve and Storm (respect her for 5 in black) Patch's true healing and red nuke, Super Steve red and blue all work nice with IM40 and Storm pairs well with Iron Fist as an outlet for his black that can give you regular attack damage per round and her green generates AP.
  • Falconfreak
    DAZ0273 said:
    From the ones you have covered I would go for Patch, Super Steve and Storm (respect her for 5 in black) Patch's true healing and red nuke, Super Steve red and blue all work nice with IM40 and Storm pairs well with Iron Fist as an outlet for his black that can give you regular attack damage per round and her green generates AP.
    Dr. Doom, Doc Ock and Punisher are not really worth it except to just champ everything at some point?
  • jtsings
    jtsings Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2019

Should I not bother to level up my 4* characters until I completely champ my entire 3* roster? This seems to be the majority opinion when I asked in alliance. My alliance only has a handful of serious players as the alliance name suggests it is for casual players which is totally fine.

I would like to level up my 4* characters that I like using but I don't want to completely screw up pvp for myself. I'm already being forced to pick the 32+ option in pvp events where I consistently run into teams with 300+ characters in all 3 slots.
      I think the consensus would be from most everyone that you've got to champ all the 3*s eventually but I think you have two very interesting choices for your first 4* champ that might make me consider jumping ahead:

Ghost has invisibility and true heal and her match damage is basically on par with a 5*, so you can do a lot of damage to the other team just by matching her main colors.  She's a bit more sustainable too because of her true heal; but keep in mind you will most likely be playing against other single 4* champed rosters (see note afterwards)*

Vulture is the 4* version of IM40 (Iron Man 3*) except for the fact that when he's airborne he's almost untouchable.  There are many stories of teams getting dismantled one by one because he keeps going airborne and you can't touch him the rest of the match.  He's a great support character for anyone that uses green and blue.  And his blue and green are pretty good damage dealers too.  Plus he's pretty sustainable because he can literally stay the whole match airborne without taking damage.

In general, I think you have a good amount of 3*s already champed if you enjoy playing a 4* character you should be able to bring them up to at least your highest 3*, if you want to be safe, or at least 209 where you currently have Moon Knight.  The general rule for PVP is your top 5 leveled characters.  So whatever your 3*s are boosted at, you can somewhat safely put your 4*s up to that level.  The two 3* characters that you might want to focus on, besides mentioned above, are Scarlet Witch and Kamala Kahn.  If you do decide to not champ a 4* just yet Scarlet Witch, Luke Cage 3* and Iron 3* are a pretty decent team and defensively hard to play against.  Just focus on collecting purple which Scarlett helps you collect get 12 black and use Iron Fists purple to take a big chunk out the other team and hopefully you can use Cages stun and big attack back to back to take out an opponent that is ready to fire a big power against you.  And of course Cage will help you stay in longer because he really takes down match damage significantly.  Another great 3* team is IM40, Kamala Khan and Strange.  Get 6 yellow collect enough and you'll generally have enough AP to fire KK very nice green AOE plus some pretty decent team heal when Strange and IM40 fire powers, use Strange's blue to stun the most threatening character (and make sure you place his stun countdown tile on the color you want to destroy from the other team) and then use IM40's red to do some great damage as well.  You also can sub Rocket and Groot 3* for KK which will give you a decent green ability and since you're focusing on collecting yellow they can absorb a lot of damage and true heal themselves up when they get too low on health.  People on the forums also like the trio of IM40, Strange and Patch (mentioned above) too.  Another dark horse pick by me is Falcon, he's the only 3* character that can take countdown or special tiles out somewhat passively.  

I guess the main message I'm trying to get across is here is that are some pretty decent 3* that will get you a lot of use even when you get into 4* land, so having all of them champed will actually help your 4*s especially when they are boosted.

My personally list of 4*s that you should be focusing on of course this is subject to debate.  The big three 4* super team is Rocket and Groot 4*, Gamora, and Medusa.  This team works arguably better then any other team in 4* land.  Captain Marvel 4* she's really imo the best 4* the game has ever made to date.  She's got a great black nuke that's easily sustainable and she creates, strengthens her own and other special tiles and she helps speed up her own and other countdown tiles. The icing on the cake is passive AP generation and AOE damage if your strongest color is the same as the opposing team.  America Chavez will work for you through 3*, 4* and 5* transitions she's that useful.  With her you just collect AP and don't fire powers and with someone like Ghost or another 5* she'll put critical tiles all over the place and absolutely decimate your opponent.   Peggy Carter she has two very legit active powers and her yellow makes it very difficult for the other team to fire any powers before you've taken them down.  Surprisingly enough Peggy, Moon Knight and IM40 make a really good Simulator team because IM40 give green for Moon Knights nuke and helps you get red and blue for Peggy.  The other one woman damage machine is Riri Williams.  She's good on her own but put her with either IM40 or Vulture and she can take out the other team almost single handedly.   Notable mention also for Rogue as well. If you have someone who's most damaging power is their strongest color, she can pretty much shut that power down completely.  And as long as she's in front, she significantly reduces powers fired against her.  Iceman 4* and Vulture are a very solid pair When you get a chance take a look at this post: it's a bit outdated but it gives a good indication and description of each of the older 4*s and which ones you can prioritize.  https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/56176/a-mostly-accurate-4-ranking-final-update-8-11-18/p1

*  I'm pretty sure since you've leveled up your 5*s you may already be in 4* champ PVP mmr.  That's why you're seeing champed 4*s in your PVP match ups.  So with that in mind, unless I'm wrong (someone correct me if I am), you probably can go ahead and bonus hero Vulture and champ him and Ghost and your PVP experience will probably not change much; unless they are boosted that week.  But I don't think you go wrong with either one of them.  But do stop putting levels into your 5*s, they only benefit you leveled up when they have several covers in them.  But here's the ugly news about PVP, you're going to always get attacked by better teams no matter what level you're at.  Right now I have one 5* champ (Okoye) and two well covered 5*s at 355 (Thor) and 330 (Kitty).  Many times in shield simulator I get attacked by three level 450+ 5* champs; not exactly an even match imho.  They did ask us about what we didn't like in MPQ in a recent survey; I hope that many people put the choice that said I don't like getting attacked in PVP by rosters that are way above my level.  If they did, hopefully they can somehow work on making PVP a little more fair/even.

Sorry again for the long response: but I hope you might be able to use any of this to help you out on your progress through MPQ.
  • TPF Alexis
    DAZ0273 said:
    Dr. Doom, Doc Ock and Punisher are not really worth it except to just champ everything at some point?
    Yeah. You want everyone champed eventually, because the champ rewards are very helpful with getting a solid start in the next tier, but there are a number, like those three, who aren't a high priority at all.
  • Falconfreak
    jtsings said:

I think the consensus would be from most everyone that you've got to champ all the 3*s eventually but I think you have two very interesting choices for your first 4* champ that might make me consider jumping ahead:

Ghost has invisibility and true heal and her match damage is basically on par with a 5*, so you can do a lot of damage to the other team just by matching her main colors.  She's a bit more sustainable too because of her true heal; but keep in mind you will most likely be playing against other single 4* champed rosters (see note afterwards)*

Vulture is the 4* version of IM40 (Iron Man 3*) except for the fact that when he's airborne he's almost untouchable.  There are many stories of teams getting dismantled one by one because he keeps going airborne and you can't touch him the rest of the match.  He's a great support character for anyone that uses green and blue.  And his blue and green are pretty good damage dealers too.  Plus he's pretty sustainable because he can literally stay the whole match airborne without taking damage.

In general, I think you have a good amount of 3*s already champed if you enjoy playing a 4* character you should be able to bring them up to at least your highest 3*, if you want to be safe, or at least 209 where you currently have Moon Knight.  The general rule for PVP is your top 5 leveled characters.  So whatever your 3*s are boosted at, you can somewhat safely put your 4*s up to that level.  The two 3* characters that you might want to focus on, besides mentioned above, are Scarlet Witch and Kamala Kahn.  If you do decide to not champ a 4* just yet Scarlet Witch, Luke Cage 3* and Iron 3* are a pretty decent team and defensively hard to play against.  Just focus on collecting purple which Scarlett helps you collect get 12 black and use Iron Fists purple to take a big chunk out the other team and hopefully you can use Cages stun and big attack back to back to take out an opponent that is ready to fire a big power against you.  And of course Cage will help you stay in longer because he really takes down match damage significantly.  Another great 3* team is IM40, Kamala Khan and Strange.  Get 6 yellow collect enough and you'll generally have enough AP to fire KK very nice green AOE plus some pretty decent team heal when Strange and IM40 fire powers, use Strange's blue to stun the most threatening character (and make sure you place his stun countdown tile on the color you want to destroy from the other team) and then use IM40's red to do some great damage as well.  You also can sub Rocket and Groot 3* for KK which will give you a decent green ability and since you're focusing on collecting yellow they can absorb a lot of damage and true heal themselves up when they get too low on health.  People on the forums also like the trio of IM40, Strange and Patch (mentioned above) too.  Another dark horse pick by me is Falcon, he's the only 3* character that can take countdown or special tiles out somewhat passively.  

I guess the main message I'm trying to get across is here is that are some pretty decent 3* that will get you a lot of use even when you get into 4* land, so having all of them champed will actually help your 4*s especially when they are boosted.

My personally list of 4*s that you should be focusing on of course this is subject to debate.  The big three 4* super team is Rocket and Groot 4*, Gamora, and Medusa.  This team works arguably better then any other team in 4* land.  Captain Marvel 4* she's really imo the best 4* the game has ever made to date.  She's got a great black nuke that's easily sustainable and she creates, strengthens her own and other special tiles and she helps speed up her own and other countdown tiles. The icing on the cake is passive AP generation and AOE damage if your strongest color is the same as the opposing team.  America Chavez will work for you through 3*, 4* and 5* transitions she's that useful.  With her you just collect AP and don't fire powers and with someone like Ghost or another 5* she'll put critical tiles all over the place and absolutely decimate your opponent.   Peggy Carter she has two very legit active powers and her yellow makes it very difficult for the other team to fire any powers before you've taken them down.  Surprisingly enough Peggy, Moon Knight and IM40 make a really good Simulator team because IM40 give green for Moon Knights nuke and helps you get red and blue for Peggy.  The other one woman damage machine is Riri Williams.  She's good on her own but put her with either IM40 or Vulture and she can take out the other team almost single handedly.   Notable mention also for Rogue as well. If you have someone who's most damaging power is their strongest color, she can pretty much shut that power down completely.  And as long as she's in front, she significantly reduces powers fired against her.  Iceman 4* and Vulture are a very solid pair When you get a chance take a look at this post: it's a bit outdated but it gives a good indication and description of each of the older 4*s and which ones you can prioritize.  https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/56176/a-mostly-accurate-4-ranking-final-update-8-11-18/p1

*  I'm pretty sure since you've leveled up your 5*s you may already be in 4* champ PVP mmr.  That's why you're seeing champed 4*s in your PVP match ups.  So with that in mind, unless I'm wrong (someone correct me if I am), you probably can go ahead and bonus hero Vulture and champ him and Ghost and your PVP experience will probably not change much; unless they are boosted that week.  But I don't think you go wrong with either one of them.  But do stop putting levels into your 5*s, they only benefit you leveled up when they have several covers in them.  But here's the ugly news about PVP, you're going to always get attacked by better teams no matter what level you're at.  Right now I have one 5* champ (Okoye) and two well covered 5*s at 355 (Thor) and 330 (Kitty).  Many times in shield simulator I get attacked by three level 450+ 5* champs; not exactly an even match imho.  They did ask us about what we didn't like in MPQ in a recent survey; I hope that many people put the choice that said I don't like getting attacked in PVP by rosters that are way above my level.  If they did, hopefully they can somehow work on making PVP a little more fair/even.

Sorry again for the long response: but I hope you might be able to use any of this to help you out on your progress through MPQ.
    Thank you for the response and the help. Too long? It was great! :) 

I have Ghost up to 263 or so right now. Red Hulk and Vulture are around 220, Moon Knight is 209. I want to get Carnage up there as well because Carnage and 3* Bullseye is a lot of fun.

I do enjoy those guys the most and in 3* star land I do like Iron Fist, Power Man and Strange or IM40. I never thought to champ Patch, 3* Cap and Storm next for 3* because I don't see their synergy but this thread made some good points. I guess I was hoping to find more reasons to play guys like Dr. Doom, Doc Ock, Punisher, Cyclops etc but it seems those are guys you just to champ and move on from.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    jtsings said:

I have Ghost up to 263 or so right now. Red Hulk and Vulture are around 220, Moon Knight is 209. I want to get Carnage up there as well because Carnage and 3* Bullseye is a lot of fun.

I do enjoy those guys the most and in 3* star land I do like Iron Fist, Power Man and Strange or IM40. I never thought to champ Patch, 3* Cap and Storm next for 3* because I don't see their synergy but this thread made some good points. I guess I was hoping to find more reasons to play guys like Dr. Doom, Doc Ock, Punisher, Cyclops etc but it seems those are guys you just to champ and move on from.
    Cyclops is a solid damage dealer and can self accelerate and so isn't in the same category as the other 3.
  • Falconfreak
    DAZ0273 said:
    jtsings said:

Cyclops is a solid damage dealer and can self accelerate and so isn't in the same category as the other 3.
    Is there a list of which #3 to champ first to last? This latest event has made me appreciate grey suit black widow.
  • jtsings
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/30187/dauthis-3-guide-who-to-level-and-how-to-build-em-03-09/p1 .  This guide was very helpful to me when I first started.  It doesn't include a few 3* characters but from what I recall, the ones that aren't included are nothing special.
  • Falconfreak
    jtsings said:
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/30187/dauthis-3-guide-who-to-level-and-how-to-build-em-03-09/p1 .  This guide was very helpful to me when I first started.  It doesn't include a few 3* characters but from what I recall, the ones that aren't included are nothing special.
    I appreciate it. It is pretty old and hasn't been updated in over 2 years. Some of his suggestions are the exact opposite of some of the suggestions in this thread lol but I'm definitely reading it..
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    I always tell people who have the option to transition with Vulture. he is awesome solo, and he can pair up with loads of other top tier characters at all tiers. Vulture/G4mora is a viable team even unboosted for the MMR you're likely to see for quite a long time. I have 2 5* champs, and occasionally I'll still need to fall back on that team to stunlock the opponents on the SCL9 5e node.
  • Falconfreak
    I always tell people who have the option to transition with Vulture. he is awesome solo, and he can pair up with loads of other top tier characters at all tiers. Vulture/G4mora is a viable team even unboosted for the MMR you're likely to see for quite a long time. I have 2 5* champs, and occasionally I'll still need to fall back on that team to stunlock the opponents on the SCL9 5e node.
    I definitely like Vulture. My top team is Vulture, Red Hulk and Ghost unless it is clearing timer mobs then Dr. Strange is rotated in there. I've gotten almost all my 3* up to 100 to try and make the DPD easier. Based on what everyone is saying it sounds like I'm better off champing all my 3* before even champing one 4* character.
  • TPF Alexis
    I definitely like Vulture. My top team is Vulture, Red Hulk and Ghost unless it is clearing timer mobs then Dr. Strange is rotated in there. I've gotten almost all my 3* up to 100 to try and make the DPD easier. Based on what everyone is saying it sounds like I'm better off champing all my 3* before even champing one 4* character.
    I don't know about all. All the good ones, certainly, but it's really not going to hurt much if you don't have, say, Mystique and Elektra champed before you start in on 4* champs.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think PvP is mainly team synergy + timing. When I was going for 900 points in 3* land, I was already seeing champed 4* teams even though I didn't roster any 5* or had high level 4*. However, I see those insane level teams only when my PvP points is about 800. I rarely hit 900 points 3* land unless there is a 4* cover I lIke a lot. However, I have to put in a lot of effort because I was getting losses handed by them.

After champing three 4*, hitting 900 points in PvP is a cakewalk. I can do this in about 18 wins or fewer and I throw up a shield only once.

Ghost + Chavez = speed team in PvP
    In Shield Simulator, add in Rogue and you will be tripling your speed.

C4rol will be great when she is not boosted at your stage because most of the time, both you and your opponent will have the same strongest colour. Free APs and AoEs for you.

Valkyrie is a great ap generator and boost your match damage in the beginning. Pair her with Ghost and her passive will be activating even more frequently.
  • Falconfreak
    So just to update: I've champed Ghost. I got Red Hulk and Vulture  up some. I have been working on trying to get all 13/13 for all the 3* so when I start champing them I will be able to champ all of them.

I have been in SC6 for pve for a month now. When is a good time to move up to SC7 with my current roster?
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2019
    What reward in SC7 is it that you aren't getting in SC6 that you want? You won't be achieving any T20 or better placement rewards in SC7 with your roster for a LONG LONG time.

There's no real rush to play a higher SC level unless there is a specific reward you want AND can achieve. Even with a late stage 4* roster (60+ champed) I still only play SC7 for PvE because the reward difference vs time commitment for SC8/9 aren't worth it for me.

KGB
  • Falconfreak
    KGB said:
    What reward in SC7 is it that you aren't getting in SC6 that you want? You won't be achieving any T20 or better placement rewards in SC7 with your roster for a LONG LONG time.

There's no real rush to play a higher SC level unless there is a specific reward you want AND can achieve. Even with a late stage 4* roster (60+ champed) I still only play SC7 for PvE because the reward difference vs time commitment for SC8/9 aren't worth it for me.

KGB
    I get in the teens in SC6 but then the last few guys with crazy rosters play at the last second to bump me to a top 50 finish in the total event. I know you get more CP and I think a 4* cover instead of 3* just from regular progression in SC7? That makes it more more than SC6 if my roster could handle it.
  • jtsings

I have been in SC6 for pve for a month now. When is a good time to move up to SC7 with my current roster?
      It's based on your goals in the game.  If you are trying to go for placement: then SCL 7 is the hardest level to place high on, so I would stay in SCL 6 for now.  As far as rewards go you actually get a 4* plus the 3* covers that you normally get in SCL 6; and for many the 4* progression cover is worth the extra effort of hopping up to SCL 7.  Some people also base it upon whether they have the 5* required, because SCL 7 is when you have an additional 5* node. If you don't have the required 5*, it's going to be much more difficult to place high in the event.  But my advice to you would be to try it out once and if it seems too hard or not enjoyable, maybe only play it if you have a good 3* (like Strange for Meet Rocket and Groot) boosted or the progression 4* is one you really want to have.  And btw it's not necessary for you to do the 5* node to get full progression.