What determines lightning round seed matches?

jamauss
jamauss Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
I've been playing lightning rounds regularly for a long time now and I haven't been able to pin down exactly what determines how many seed matches you get to start off a lightning round. Sometimes I'll get them all and get to 245 points, but sometimes only enough to get to 229 or 217. Whether I'm actively in the game waiting for the LR to start, or join it 10 minutes in, seems to make no difference. Does anyone know? 

Comments

• AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    I don’t know conclusively. I get the most seeds if I check the rewards for the pending round before it starts (but after any rewards from the previous round have been given) and then join as close as possible to the start of the round. Click through the banner and then check each of the nodes to make sure they’re seeds. 

I’m sure there are a bunch of unnecessary steps there but it’s the pattern I follow. If I do all of that and enter the round immediately when it opens I can pretty reliably get seeds to 245. 
  • Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler
    Start immediately and go fast...
    or catch a flip..

it it will get you 1 fight away from 250
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,516 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe Zemo is manipulating them from behind the scenes.  You get this many, this person gets this many, now fight each other!
  • TriggerTime
    TriggerTime Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Hilk said:
    or catch a flip..

This is generally true, but I have noticed that even when I join later on but am playing certain times of the day (off-peak?) I get more seed teams .
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think some of it is dependent on how many other Players are active and how fast the brackets are filling up. So even if you do exactly the same thing every time, different Player patterns across the base as a whole could lead to different results.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    You could always make an offering to RNGesus and ask for more seeds. That sounds as likely as any other course of action. 

What’s the digital equivalent of burnt offerings? Maybe an overheated, slightly melted motherboard. 
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    Today I managed 12 seed rounds for 260 points in Dooms LR. That has what I know of only happened once before.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    qandols said:
    Today I managed 12 seed rounds for 260 points in Dooms LR. That has what I know of only happened once before.
    So in the last month or two, OCCASIONALLY there appears an 11th seed team for 15 points (taking you to 260; I'm pretty sure its normally 10 rounds for 245). It doesn't happen very often but is worth checking for. I've gotten it maybe 5 times out of lots and lots of LR events.
  • Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    Hilk said:
    or catch a flip..

Breaking news : there are no bracket flips in LRs
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yepyep said:
    qandols said:
    So in the last month or two, OCCASIONALLY there appears an 11th seed team for 15 points (taking you to 260; I'm pretty sure its normally 10 rounds for 245). It doesn't happen very often but is worth checking for. I've gotten it maybe 5 times out of lots and lots of LR events.
    I suspect Qandols just miscounted. Regardless, 245 is the most I've heard of anyone getting consistently from Seeds, and 260 the most I've heard of anyone getting from Seeds at all.
  • qandols
    No miscount, I did get to 260 and it has happened once before.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    qandols said:
    No miscount, I did get to 260 and it has happened once before.
    260 yes, but not with 12 seeds.
    11 takes you to 260.
  • qandols
    Ok, now I see it. To counter this I just started the Magneto LR at 9:01 and got zero seeds. That's a new one for me.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep said:
    qandols said:
    I suspect Qandols just miscounted. Regardless, 245 is the most I've heard of anyone getting consistently from Seeds, and 260 the most I've heard of anyone getting from Seeds at all.
    Agree on everything. And 260 is RARE (and not necessarily desirable as a 4* player...).

• Yepyep
    qandols said:
    Ok, now I see it. To counter this I just started the Magneto LR at 9:01 and got zero seeds. That's a new one for me.
    Yes, something has been tweaked in the last couple of months. What you said here is more common, and sometimes an 11th seed shows up. 

It’s worth mentioning that you can sometimes get 3 seed teams in the last 15-20 minutes of a round if you haven’t started earlier. If you’re fast+lucky, you can parlay that into a top-100 or better.