*** Doctor Doom (Classic) ***

Comments

• I'm not sure how much more damage a level 100 Doom is going to do over a 77. It can't really be a whole lot (unbuffed). I have a Doom that is 80 and he does just fine in the Lightning rounds.

It might be better served to spend that ISO on a 2-star that is currently buffed in the PvE event.

I guess the question is, do you use Doom outside of the lightning rounds? Is he in your rotation of characters you would use in a regular tourney? If the answer is yes, I would probably look to max level him.
  • Kyoku wrote:
    Oh I see. The character compendium has a smaller HP listed, 5440. And mine's is only level 85 so I couldn't confirm.

mmmmm I pulled my info from here http://marvelpuzzlequest.wikia.com/wiki ... m_(Classic) and it is a wiki so I guess take with a gain of salt unless someone with a level 115 doom can come in and confirm the HP cap.

I've got a max Doom and he is at 5926 health.
    Toxicadam wrote:
    I'm not sure how much more damage a level 100 Doom is going to do over a 77. It can't really be a whole lot (unbuffed). I have a Doom that is 80 and he does just fine in the Lightning rounds.

It might be better served to spend that ISO on a 2-star that is currently buffed in the PvE event.

I guess the question is, do you use Doom outside of the lightning rounds? Is he in your rotation of characters you would use in a regular tourney? If the answer is yes, I would probably look to max level him.

He fits in quite nicely in a regular tourney rotation. Paired with Spidey, Doom shields him on blue and purple, and the stunlock helps protect demon tiles. He's not at all squishy, and on D he's a bit annoying, as having to deny black in addition to other high priority colors can spread a player too thin. He's a really strong 4th man. I have yet to pair him with Patch to see if the demons benefit from his strike tiles - I may do that in the Simulator today. If they do, that could be crazy lethal.

Edit: Ran a SHIELD training match with Spidey/Patch/Doom, and Doom's demons do get strike tile damage added on, although it is only once for all the demons, not strike tile bonus x 6. With a 118 Patch, I was getting ~3 K damage per match - (~1100 in demons + ~900 striketile bonus) + (~100 match damage + ~900 striketile bonus). I will be running this combo way more often now.
  • Edit: Ran a SHIELD training match with Spidey/Patch/Doom, and Doom's demons do get strike tile damage added on, although it is only once for all the demons, not strike tile bonus x 6. With a 118 Patch, I was getting ~3 K damage per match - (~1100 in demons + ~900 striketile bonus) + (~100 match damage + ~900 striketile bonus). I will be running this combo way more often now.

This could be quite a revelation. Delete this information ASAP. icon_e_smile.gif
  • I second the fourth man concept. Doom is a pretty good stand alone guy that can sub-in on almost any team when one of your other guys gets low and you don't have any health packs. He can definitely power you through another fight or two.

Doom is a well rounded character with decent health that uses what are normally 'off' colors. I love the guy, frankly. The only reason I usually bring him off the bench rather than starting on the A team is because my other guys benefit more from synergy. If we played with four heroes instead of three, I would keep him in all the time.

And it seems like leveling Doom to 100 isn't a bad idea, for psychological effects alone. That third digit can really discourage retaliation, especially in lightning rounds.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    I really wanted to like Doom but after leveling him to 3/2 51, its apparent that while his demons are powerful 12ap takes too long to get. Would rather just use someone who creates strike tiles. His blue ability is too inconsistent to rely on to get black AP. It really should turn any color tiles to black instead of just blue. By the time i've collected 9 blue to use it there's none left to convert to black. Really wanted to like him but now i'm regretting pumping 16k iso into him. Am i missing something?
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Thanos wrote:
    I really wanted to like Doom but after leveling him to 3/2 51, its apparent that while his demons are powerful 12ap takes too long to get. Would rather just use someone who creates strike tiles. His blue ability is too inconsistent to rely on to get black AP. It really should turn any color tiles to black instead of just blue. By the time i've collected 9 blue to use it there's none left to convert to black. Really wanted to like him but now i'm regretting pumping 16k iso into him. Am i missing something?

doom like just about every 3 star is a late bloomer, you won't start to see their real power until a certain point. 12 black isn't that hard to get on doom because of his blue ability, once its at least rank 4 you rake in black AP easily and can cause a storm of cascades possibly generating other AP colors from blown up rows. blue isn't inconsistent because it shifts the board in your favor and can deny blue for the enemy if they need it, it has also allowed me to cast summon demons twice in some games.

doom is an underappreciated 3 star that really is quite powerful, summon demons can do a maximum of 1110 a turn with all six tiles, he has good HP and he can generate his own needed color + control the board, mine is 5/4 lvl83 and wrecks.
  • He's not overly powerful as rags was but he is strong which a *** cover should be. in no way will he break the game by himself but plays nicely on a team. i think he fits certain scenerios really well and is well balanced through the meta changes.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you want to use him quickly, pair him with Magneto Marvel Now, as Mag's purple can create blue for Doom to create black, to get him his 12 AP. Then you just need a tank, Thor Works Well as he only competes with Mag's Red, but can utilize Green and Yellow, Ares and Wolverine also Work.
  • I leveled up my Dr Doom to 89 because I could and because he's beast enough at that level, but I don't know who to pair him with. I kind of really really want to max Modern Hawkeye to go with him because that would be an interesting mix but then who else? And my Modern Hawkey is in the 60's and I'm not completely sold on him and that's a lot of ISO so I'm not sure I want to do that.

I don't have a high enough level Daredevil (for the pink) and OBW's espionage doesn't work when paired with Doom. I maxed my Ares thinking he would be great but my Ares is never as good as AI Ares and I'm not crazy about his liabilities.

I'm looking for some uber synergistic punch with Doom's team, any suggestions?
  • Magneto Marvel now as Phantron is a decent bet, but be aware that a Polarity Shift often clears the board of most blues so it isn't THAT quick of a way to get the job done.

So strike tiles are your next bet. Patch would be the smart choice because he doesn't use up the red tiles. Punisher is a decent choice but you run the risk of him destroying your demons.
  • Yeah, I don't want to run a board shatterer with him. It's bad enough when the AI makes a match that takes out 3 or more of the tiles at once, I would be sure to take out the rest myself in the next turn. lol.

I have a Patch I could get into the 50's. I have a maxed Wolverine too, but anyone I run with him turns into a backup singer. True to the comics and movies!

I think mHawkeye with Black Panther for his yellow or Daredevil for his pink, maybe...? Need moar covers...
  • I'm working on Doom and am starting to enjoy playing with him. Any suggestions for pairing effectively? I was thinking 2* Mags for lots of Blue... Anyone else I should be thinking of?
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Strike tiles + demons = happy fun times
  • Kiamodo
    Kiamodo Posts: 423 Mover and Shaker
    Punisher, Patch. Man maybe the new cap? I would try using strike tiles, then summon demons, then cap's super 251 shield? Then just sit back and watch the beat down.
  • Punisher & Doom are a great combo. Looking forward to the buffed a Doom round in the Simulator, Punisher, Buffed 2* Wolvie and SuperBuffed Doom will be immense.
  • Just stun. For as many turns as possible. Boosted doom is utterly insane
  • PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    I love Doom. He works well with most of the big damage dealers (patch, punisher) and has pretty solid health.

He just needs a 3rd power (purple or green, preferably).
  • Spidey, Pun and Doom seems to be working well. Thanks!
  • PorkBelly wrote:
    I love Doom. He works well with most of the big damage dealers (patch, punisher) and has pretty solid health.

He just needs a 3rd power (purple or green, preferably).
    If he gets a decent purple skill, he'd easily be the 2nd best villain behind the pre nerf Magneto. Doom would have like 7k HP & cover two rare colors (black & purple). I could only imagine the damage a lvl 141 Summon Demons would wreak!
  • WesFaram wrote:
    I could only imagine the damage a lvl 141 Summon Demons would wreak!

My boosted Doom in this event is lv141 and with just 4 black covers his demons are doing about 1k damage per turn. He's a beast.