***** Iceman (Bobby Drake) *****

Comments

• RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Have to admit the 6-turn stuns on Jessica and Thor were impressive enough, but to then get a 9-turn stun on Thor later was excellent. Certainly Goblin helped in that last match above, and I assume Hawkeye could also assist reasonably well with his passive fortification (not on the repeaters though). 
    I think he looks like a lot of fun, a bit unpleasant to fight against (earning a few PvP skips perhaps), and a good fit on quite a few teams. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    His passive stun would be great against Peggy, Dr Strange and Bishop.

I thought the close to 800,000 CP is more impressive. That's over 30,000 LT.
  • Projectus2501
    Projectus2501 Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    36 5* now right?... Too many to care
  • RickOShay
    Thanos said:
    Any early adopters have him champed yet? I'm not buying in to his release store, and haven't seen any in the wild.

Overall he's mid-tier at best. Without Okoye support his green is just awful. His yellow is currently bugged and will be fixed in the next patch. IMO, another mediocre 5*. Seems the 4* tier is getting all the good stuff for now. If anybody has any team requests let me know.

Wondering if 4* Gamora will proc her special tiles each time you extend a stun? Or is it only on the first instance upon stunning an enemy? 
    Still, switching the stun onto different targets could build up those specials quickly. 

• sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    RickOShay said:
    Thanos said:
    Any early adopters have him champed yet? I'm not buying in to his release store, and haven't seen any in the wild.

Overall he's mid-tier at best. Without Okoye support his green is just awful. His yellow is currently bugged and will be fixed in the next patch. IMO, another mediocre 5*. Seems the 4* tier is getting all the good stuff for now. If anybody has any team requests let me know.

Wondering if 4* Gamora will proc her special tiles each time you extend a stun? Or is it only on the first instance upon stunning an enemy? 
    Still, switching the stun onto different targets could build up those specials quickly. 

If I recall correctly, Gamora only puts out a special when a new enemy gets stunned, not if you extend a stun.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Tested it just to be sure and indeed it's the first stun  only that triggers Gamora. Also, you'd have to have a very blue rich board  to rotate stuns and that doesn't happen often enough to be a viable strategy.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have only one cover for him, a blue, but he's been a bit of a beast so far in the Psylocke PvP with a boosted 4Carol. Between Psy and Carol, you're probably not going to have any trouble getting out at least a handful of strike or attack tiles. Well, Bobby makes *4* countdowns for only 4 blue. If even one countdown survives and resolves, that's a boost of 3,000+ damage total spread over three strike or attack tiles. Not a bad investment for 4AP! Plus, since it's a passive, you don't have to worry about Doctor Strange getting his knickers in a twist over the countdowns. And, even if you are forced to match one or two away, you still get a nice little targeted stun. 
  • Thanos
    PuceMoose said:
    I have only one cover for him, a blue, but he's been a bit of a beast so far in the Psylocke PvP with a boosted 4Carol. Between Psy and Carol, you're probably not going to have any trouble getting out at least a handful of strike or attack tiles. Well, Bobby makes *4* countdowns for only 4 blue. If even one countdown survives and resolves, that's a boost of 3,000+ damage total spread over three strike or attack tiles. Not a bad investment for 4AP! Plus, since it's a passive, you don't have to worry about Doctor Strange getting his knickers in a twist over the countdowns. And, even if you are forced to match one or two away, you still get a nice little targeted stun. 
    Waiting 5-6 turns for the CD's to expire can feel like an eternity. I'd rather just use them for their stun instead. If you can, however, make them last long enough to expire the carol strike boost adds up pretty quick.

A fun team if you can pull it off.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thanos said:
    Ask and ye shall recieve.

Can I ask how his yellow is bugged? Might’ve missed it. Also, his blue is much much better than I thought. That’s what I noticed more than anything looking at the videos. I didn’t pay attention much to his green (I don’t play on steam so didn’t really notice the damage). Did you think it was just too low?  I personally think he looks fun/worth it. 
  • Thanos
    Daredevil217 said:
    Can I ask how his yellow is bugged? Might’ve missed it. Also, his blue is much much better than I thought. That’s what I noticed more than anything looking at the videos. I didn’t pay attention much to his green (I don’t play on steam so didn’t really notice the damage). Did you think it was just too low?  I personally think he looks fun/worth it. 
    His yellow doesn't trigger against AoE and it should. The way I see it is he's too slow for pvp and doesn't do enough damage for pve. He's pretty much relegated to Ssim and non-competitive story events. I'm not gonna waste CP or LT's on a character that doesn't make me competitive.
  • Daredevil217
    Thanos said:
    Daredevil217 said:
    His yellow doesn't trigger against AoE and it should. The way I see it is he's too slow for pvp and doesn't do enough damage for pve. He's pretty much relegated to Ssim and non-competitive story events. I'm not gonna waste CP or LT's on a character that doesn't make me competitive.
    Where was it announced that his yellow is getting fixed? @Brigby, can we get some info on how his yellow is supposed to work once it’s fixed? If it doesn’t block AOE its a pretty lame power and definitely drops him down a tier.  

The only truly competitive characters are Kitty, Thanos, and Thorkoye. So him not being “fast enough” is not a reason for me personally not to chase one of my favorite characters. I play non-competitive characters all the time and would rather have three okay champs than one mega champ for variety, even if it hurts me competitively. But I get what you’re saying and appreciate you taking the time to make the videos and give your assessment. He’s not as trash as Rescue and seems to do some things no one else does. He arguably is the best stunner in 5* land which isn’t saying much, but is saying something.

Though I would agree that like many 5s before him, is nowhere near his 4* counterpart (except both look creepy). 
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2019
    Champion Defender - 
    Anyone who plays Kate Bishop will understand the Yellow power and how that is NOT usually going to be an issue letting the CD expire. I definitely get burnt by the CD being in a bad bad place or sometimes just forgetting about it stupidly so I can almost guarantee that the AI will probably let it expire.
    To mitigate 10k seems nice even at 60k Hitpoints, What I don't understand about this particularly is if the power at lvl255 starts out with the threshold being like 6k and then when champed it rises to the 9k? This is how The Things powers scale - making them much less useful but here you would want the damage prevented to be greater the more powerful he gets to be relevant to 5* and so having a high threshold -15k(boosted) wouldn't be outright bad like ol Benjys where it will NEVER trigger when he is boosted. Does 10k matter for 5* play? I don't know, but imagine its a weird borderlands where it stops some of defenestration but not the traps, probably blocks a M4 on strong color
    So then would this be a good power for all of the players who run him undercovered/un leveled ? could I build a 3* team with a 2/1/2 Iceman? I think so! For the newbs/transitioners it is a decent power; it might protect you from the big photon blast in PvE, or the boosted power du jour on this weeks featured PvP(Cherry Bomb), which is either killing them or hurting bad enough for an healthpack. they have 3Grock,pun,2mags etc to deal with the CD
    Icemen:
    Yay repeaters that are have a recycle function. Like Mysterio and traps this language is a big improvement of the old skool type that just disappear into the void like emma/gambit/5marv's. 
    On Ice: That's a lot of special tiles! Every available blue tile will be filled quickly
    Gotta shout out to  Agent Venom!  Sabertooth!!, Rogue, Chulk, twin Pistols etc all bring some great utility here behind their punch out powers.
    Dare I mention : Wasp? When she calls the storm she is going to be destroying a few
    With 4*Thanos I think 10+ turns is possible.
    Question: Does Surfer's black hole trigger the stun?

some silly teams:
    - Domino/GED/icem5n : all of the crazy match4/5s will clear out random blue CD's, Doom's shuffle will cue similiar, Dom's Red will clear out some of clog and allow other colors to match.  Bobby blocks the big hits, doom keeps a good green buffer to absorb the middling attacks and Dom keeps the board shaking
    -Agent Venom/America - shake baby shake
    -4KingPin/Dom - chase the blue , the black will come, and a way to get rid of that pesky CD
    -Goblin will fortify all of his specials, allowing Shuri to take effect, so your dropping your green repeaters for 4AP, she is matching forts for extra damage, leaving stuns and miniAoE
    -I think with GRRR he could be effective , Robbie removes the Gr/Bla/Rd leaving lots of blue to cascade or easy match. The green overlap is ugh but since the Repeats will pretty much end up at the bottom of the board pinging away or all of the basic green tiles will be destroyed by chains and they will clump together *edit: I totally read it wrong: his repeaters are on random colors. but still think they would work.
    -He seems made to compliment daredevils passive & I like the 5* xmen team-up with Storm. your getting a 6turn stun for 8 green AP. that seems great rate. Then for 9 Yellow your not guaranteed total stundown but like with cyclops if you time it you'll have multiple cascades of blue matches, stunning out and reloading. I also don't know the order of it rolling out but if DD damage starts kicking in after the first CD in the cascade resolves then it could get gory quick. The green overlap is pronounced but if you EQ so that Matt tanks than you'll get mileage.
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daredevil217 said:

He arguably is the best stunner in 5* land which isn’t saying much, but is saying something.
    Yes and no. I don't have him champed yet, but do have 5 covers in blue. It's still awfully board dependent.

I ran a Okoye/Iceman/Bishop team in Sim. I had no trouble getting the blue to keep forming the CDs, but only ever matched them once or twice. 

So far, running him with Thor's board shake seems to be the most reliable way to get those matches to happen, and to have more blue tiles populate the board. 

The issue with that is featured character PvP only allows you to bring two characters. If you run Okoye/Icy, she'll boost his green nicely, but you lose the board shake and AP generation from Thor that speeds up matches. 

Thor/Icy is probably faster in the sense that you'll likely use Icy green more and be able to take advantage of his blue, but none of that damage is boosted by Okoye, so you're slowed down on that front. And you lose the sustained climbing ability that Thorkoye has with Okoye's true heal. 

But I think he'll be a good, fun third for Sim at least. 
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 595 Critical Contributor
    So, situational mid-tier, but possibly fun to play in casual games?
  • RickOShay
    The update has now edited the description for Champion Defender (yellow). 
    Are we to expect that Iceman creates this CD if he would take the qualifying damage himself?
    I've been assuming so, but it does say "if an enemy would deal xxxx damage and you have at least xx TU AP, Iceman protects his friends..."

So I'm hoping that it's not a tanking situation here, requiring an ally to be taking such damage to proc the CD, where direct damage to Iceman himself wouldn't qualify.

Continuing to assume it protects direct damage to Iceman as well, matches against Kitty & Grocket are going to be interesting (if you have enough TU). 

Can it proc more than once in a single turn? Like during a Gritty cascade where each match would be enough damage to qualify and you have plenty of TU? 

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/5/5
    I don’t have a champ Iceman, but my friend confirmed that Iceman yellow will block AOE if you have the required TU tiles.

i think it makes him a PITA to fight against as you have to stun him before you can unload all your specials on him or the team.
  • Daredevil217
    Do we have an answer on how he blocks AOE? Specifically, there was never an answer to this...

@Brigby ; could you let us know how his yellow interacts with Thor’s AOE? 

1) it does nothing and only triggers off single target damage

2) each character hit by the AOE will only take about 3-4k damage, and three yellow countdowns will get placed that do 9K damage each to Iceman if they resolve

2a- this drains 3 TU AP
    2b- this drains 9 TU AP

3) each character hit by the AOE will take about 9-10k damage (instead of the normal 13) and 1 CD is created. 

4) the character in front takes 9K less damage, the countdown is created, and the other two are hit normally. 

4a- though how does this work if a character deals 9K damage in the form of a 3k AOE. 

5) Iceman himself takes 9K less and creates a CD while the others are hit normally. 

Lots of options on how this could work. 

• RickOShay
    edited July 2019
    @Thanos
    Can you test the above for us?
    Assuming your game version has the updated yellow. Thousands of Command Points may be hanging in the balance!
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    Thanos said:
    Ask and ye shall recieve.

Overall he's mid-tier at best. Without Okoye support his green is just awful. His yellow is currently bugged and will be fixed in the next patch. IMO, another mediocre 5*. Seems the 4* tier is getting all the good stuff for now.

If anybody has any team requests let me know.
    I shared your 9-turn Stun on Thor video with the Reddit Sub, and there was a request for Iceman to go up against a Gritty & Bishop team. I'm pretty sure many of us would like to see that, too.