Quick 3* Farm Question

Options
skittledaddy
skittledaddy Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
Once upon a time I read that it is best to soft-cap your 3*s somewhere in the 260's and then start your dupes. This was to allow a little flexibility should you get poor color distribution on your dupe before being able to champ them. Once the dupe is champed, then go max-out your original.

My question is whether or not this advice still applies with the added feature of cover saving?

I'm just starting my first rotation of a 3* farm (about 15 chars duped, with my highest now at 12 covers). All of my original versions of these dupe chars are currently soft-capped at lvl 264. While I know the difference between a 264 char and a 266 char is minimal, I am depriving myself of all of those 4* covers at 265. None of these particular 15 4*s really excite me  (either they'd just be champ-levels or something in between 209 and 270), but eventually there will be one that appeals to me. Should I just finish all of them? There's really no downside anymore, is there?
Tagged:

Comments

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,727 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Agreed.  Thanks to save covers, I just keep character at 266 until the new one is ready to take their place.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 974 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Thanks. That's what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

I haven't yet decided when to sell the originals, but I have some time before that's a real concern. Roster slots are no longer a problem for me, so I can hold both for now (even as the list grows larger), but on the other hand, I'm not a huge PvP player. I pushed hard last season for the first time ever, enjoyed the extra rewards but not the extra time commitment (I haven't even "joined" yet this season), so the difference between a 166 champ versus a 266 max-champ shouldn't greatly affect my PvE experience where I mostly use my 4* champs anyway. I know there are some powerhouse 3*s I will never sell once maxed, but I am undecided thus far on the rest.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I also save covers, but unless it is a low tier 3*, or i am iso deprived, i keep the max champ until the new one has been champed, for PVP and essentials, then sell the max one when no longer needed. 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    With saved covers, no there is no downside to just taking them to 266 and building the others as you go. Before, you were just making sure you didn't end up with a 8/3/4 build or something like that with nowhere to use those extra covers.
    Yep, I also agree here @skittledaddy. My experience: I'm a 4* player with a strong farming instinct. I just today finished my ~6th dupe at 266 -- I'm trying hard to keep one of each always at 266, though of course iso/hp demands occasionally force me to sell early. It takes a LONG time to get this farm rolling and turnover is slow, but I'm getting there.

It is well worth doing, though, if you enjoy playing PvP and especially lightning rounds. Nothing dissuades a climber quite like a max-champed boosted 3* on a LR team...
  • CT1888
    CT1888 Posts: 1,201 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If I feel the need to sell a 266, I'll pick one that the dupe is already champed and where they have been featured in pvp recently, as by the time they are featured again, the dupe should be a good way on the road to max champ.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,669 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    CT1888 said:
    If I feel the need to sell a 266, I'll pick one that the dupe is already champed and where they have been featured in pvp recently, as by the time they are featured again, the dupe should be a good way on the road to max champ.
    I do this too - only thing to be wary of is sometimes events can throw a spanner in the works - most recent example was Lord of Thunder runs, I assume is safe to sell max champed 3* Thor as my dupe is high in the 100's, oops, Lord of Thunder is back again for Endgame and now my Thor has a target on his face. Drat.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Yay saved covers!!
    My Deadpool dupe is slowly gathering covers til I can max champ him all at once! 

another consideration with your maxxchamps: Sorting.
    I have sold some barely ever used 266 because I was tired of going back extra screens to select Thanos, sell of some mystique and torch, hulk etc and I can get to Im40/strange easier/quicker. If they have a certain mechanic that you use frequently its better to keep them together at 266

I pretty much sell off most of the 2->3 feeders because they are always growing. I do a hitpoint & ability scaling usefulness comparison with damage. Strange at 266 is melting fools, 100 levels less and it is noticeably less effective. Cage and fists special tiles are worth it at max level but the power of Blades specials= not as much. I kept hood and Loki for the extra HP; ol rag and bone man has such a deep pool that i skip his maxchamps during Lightning rounds and kept mine around for a bit just for the same purpose but sold Hulk/cmarv because of the triggers getting worse.  Psylocke doesn't get more utility because she is 266, Fastball special doesn't let 2 powers trigger so a middling version is giving you the same mechanic, but if it is one that you use often -then keep it organized up front.

I invest heavily in my farm and buy roster slots as needed but it can get out of hand trying to keep all of them maxxed. At some point it's just easier to harvest some and keep it rolling. If I hadn't bought extra slots right before the big Spider-Ham HfH bundle I maaaybe could have bought it and would have champed him. 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Options
    purplemur said:
    ... I kept hood and Loki for the extra HP; ol rag and bone man has such a deep pool that i skip his maxchamps during Lightning rounds and kept mine around for a bit just for the same purpose.  ...
    Who is this, please?
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 983 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yepyep said:
    purplemur said:
    ... I kept hood and Loki for the extra HP; ol rag and bone man has such a deep pool that i skip his maxchamps during Lightning rounds and kept mine around for a bit just for the same purpose.  ...
    Who is this, please?
    Ragnarok?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,727 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Taskmaster, obviously
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm impatient.  As soon as I max cover a champed 3*, as soon as I get one extra I sell the max champ and just start over.  It might help that I am in 5* land and only do PVE.  But I enjoy the satisfaction of selling one and just starting over.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    MegaBee said:
    Yepyep said:
    purplemur said:
    Who is this, please?
    Ragnarok?
    yes,
    OMG he has a ton of hitpoints. I too lazy for me look-up tables but I imagine he is at or near the top of the list of 3*'s.