Interview with MPQ Mastery - Eloy Lasanta (7/11/19)

LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
Hi Everyone - 

We wanted to share our community spotlight this month with Eloy Lasanta, host and creator of the YouTube Channel MPQ Mastery!

We know many of you are familiar with his channel but we are super excited that we got the chance to speak with him recently and learn more about his channel and love for Marvel Puzzle Quest.

Enjoy the interview with Eloy Lasanta!
Tagged:

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    So is Eloy Lasanta a contributor here? I won't lie, I didn't get an enormous level of anything  from that but if Eloy is one of our posters here then would love to hear more.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    So is Eloy Lasanta a contributor here? I won't lie, I didn't get an enormous level of anything  from that but if Eloy is one of our posters here then would love to hear more.
    @DAZ0273
    I knew the user name sounded familiar.  Here's a post of his I found using search; read through it and draw your own conclusions...

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/75653/is-the-vip-program-worth-it

• DAZ0273
    I hadn't come across this before but it is pretty cutting edge. The evaluation in May of the Mr. Fantastic rebalance was particularly useful only just 4 or so months later. Also the 1* who to keep (hint: one of them) feature is gold.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    @DAZ0273
    I knew the user name sounded familiar.  Here's a post of his I found using search; read through it and draw your own conclusions...

Yeah. I can honestly say that this may be the worst thing I have ever come across on this website. This guy has offered nothing to the community apart from shameless shilling of his sub standard YouTube nonsense and here we are being presented as if he is some sort of authority on this game that the community respects and uses as a resource? I am not even a competitive Vet of this game and I am appalled, I have no idea what the people who really know about this game feels.

Utterly bemused.

@LakeStone - many of us are familiar with this guy as a shameless self promoter who in no way that I am aware of is recognised as a go to resource for this game. @bluewolf @Phumade
    @The rockett @Daredevil217 @smok@Sm0keyJ0e to name a few know more in their little finger than this guy does.

I have probably said too much so ban me now if this is the way things are going.
    To be fair that link was about 8 months ago. I have not personally kept up with his channel but maybe he has improved. 
  • DAZ0273
    tiomono said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    @DAZ0273

Yeah. I can honestly say that this may be the worst thing I have ever come across on this website. This guy has offered nothing to the community apart from shameless shilling of his sub standard YouTube nonsense and here we are being presented as if he is some sort of authority on this game that the community respects and uses as a resource? I am not even a competitive Vet of this game and I am appalled, I have no idea what the people who really know about this game feels.

Utterly bemused.

@LakeStone - many of us are familiar with this guy as a shameless self promoter who in no way that I am aware of is recognised as a go to resource for this game. @bluewolf @Phumade
    @The rockett @Daredevil217 @smok@Sm0keyJ0e to name a few know more in their little finger than this guy does.

I have probably said too much so ban me now if this is the way things are going.
    To be fair that link was about 8 months ago. I have not personally kept up with his channel but maybe he has improved. 
    Well I was on his Facebook page just now and things are still a bit meh. Good luck to him though in getting this publicity, just didn't realise things were this bad that with MPQ. 😑 I look forward to hearing how The Dev's janitor champed 3* Daken on his lunch break.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly, not my cup of tea, but I tip the hat to anyone willing to create content and do something that can be subjective. I don't think his content is aimed at Veteran players as with the length of time I've been playing, most comes across as common knowledge.

• DAZ0273
    edited July 2019
    Honestly, not my cup of tea, but I tip the hat to anyone willing to create content and do something that can be subjective. I don't think his content is aimed at Veteran players as with the length of time I've been playing, most comes across as common knowledge.

Fair play but the rare time we get anything from the Devs/D3go posted that isn't just an update and this is it? Maybe I am being unfair. Dunno. This is just quite demoralising for some reason and I am not normally one who spends time hating on this game. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    @DAZ0273

Utterly bemused.

@DAZ0273
    Thank You for the shout out for sure. I just watched this dudes  You Tube stuff and man.... i just don’t get it.  It blows my mind that there are many people on this forums that dig deep into this game and how to do things yet this dude who I never even heard of until today is talked about.  If anybody knows his IGN, that would be cool info to have because I would love to see his roster to understand how he has this “knowledge”. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    The guy loves the game and makes content for it. I read the interview and enjoyed the read. I am just going to leave it at that.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    jp1 said:
    I don’t really agree with all of his assessments. Further, he is prone to making a mistake here and there, after all he is human. Just to be honest though, I don’t get the hate.

He obviously puts some effort into the production of his videos. He is promoting MPQ (Presumably for free), and he hasn’t posted anything inflammatory as far as I can tell.

I can imagine they are giving him a shout out just for the free promotional material. Is he the most qualified to do it? Maybe not, but he is the one putting in the work to put the videos together.

Of course I agree that the response on the forums from the Devs is unacceptable, but that certainly isn’t this guys fault and I don’t think dog piling him will help it much.
    Jonny, you are right. Maybe I am too critical due to the lack of anything from the Dev team and even the response on the support thread.  Shouldn’t have took it out on this dude, but it bothers me that many have put a ton of time in here on the forums/Discord/In Game/Etc, and he got a direct line to the Devs is a disheartening.  That’s it. 
  • turbomoose
    turbomoose Posts: 764 Critical Contributor
    He’s on day 2042 according to his Twitter page. So he has been playing for quite a while I’m at about Day 1500

I’m not sure how many days the game has been going but if that number is correct I’d guess he’s been playing since the game started 

however I agree with what some people have said that there are more knowledgable people who they could have interviewed. 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe I'll watch it sometime...

Maybe.

I'm not one to watch anything like this, though.  The only reason I'd give it the time of day is because it's dealing with this mobile game I've sunk countless hours/days on...

Well... Probably shouldn't say countless days... It has a thing to let me know what day I'm on after all!  :)

Who knows... Maybe it'll inspire me to buy a camera and do my own thing.  ...probably not.  Probably have a better face for radio.  :tongue:
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    I have sat through plenty of MtG release videos that were mostly wrong about everything. Upwards of 87% of espn trade rumors are wrong. Don't even look at fantasy trade "data". Youtube howto videos are notoriously bad at giving advice so I just can't get too upset that some of his wisdom is NOT what I would suggest.
    Production values are pretty good. Again comparing with MtG or minecraft videos..... I mean even pro shows like Around the Horn are pretty base. I appreciate his craft. 
    Overall , the interview didn't do much for me, as a fan it didn't tell me anything new about MPQ, but I really dig the attempt to incorporate a shoutout to the fans. Keep it up, I could read one of those a month.
    As to the MPQMastery; I gave him some views but I didn't subscribe. I won't avoid them if they make my feed; not yet, but I will probably keep my youtube time to listening to NewMusicThisWeek and eyeball time watching PeopleAreAwesome/worldstar fights. I just can't ever see myself paying to watch a twitch- I got my own grinding to do.
    So until Stewart Scott announces the new 6* release; make my advice come from MPQ Forum!

Thanks Lakestone!!
    Thanks MPQ Mastery!!
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,239 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you are going to call your YouTube channel MPQ Mastery......I mean.....aren't you suggesting you are an expert?  

I give him props for producing 30+ videos on the channel.  They look pretty good to my (untrained) eye and cover a lot of topics.  He seems pretty good at being on camera too.

Given that the video channel seems mostly to be extremely positive about the game and focused on strategies, I can certainly see why the developers interviewed him.

All that said, I do wish the videos were a little more accurate.  At one point in one I watched, he praised D3Go (um...Demiurge....) for implementing the champion system.....and didn't seem to realize that you won't get any 5*DD covers from your 3*DD's champ reward chain.

So maybe he should do a little research to make sure he provides good information?  I think that would serve his subscribers and the community well.  Seems odd given the apparent amount of work he's putting into these videos.
  • DAZ0273
    jp1 said:
    I don’t really agree with all of his assessments. Further, he is prone to making a mistake here and there, after all he is human. Just to be honest though, I don’t get the hate.

He obviously puts some effort into the production of his videos. He is promoting MPQ (Presumably for free), and he hasn’t posted anything inflammatory as far as I can tell.

I can imagine they are giving him a shout out just for the free promotional material. Is he the most qualified to do it? Maybe not, but he is the one putting in the work to put the videos together.

Of course I agree that the response on the forums from the Devs is unacceptable, but that certainly isn’t this guys fault and I don’t think dog piling him will help it much.
    Jonny, you are right. Maybe I am too critical due to the lack of anything from the Dev team and even the response on the support thread.  Shouldn’t have took it out on this dude, but it bothers me that many have put a ton of time in here on the forums/Discord/In Game/Etc, and he got a direct line to the Devs is a disheartening.  That’s it. 
    This. Nothing against Mr. Mastery.
  • DAZ0273
    A lot of people getting hurt because the devs was interviewing a player who is having fun with MPQ.

The inteview was about some background info about the guy, why he played MPQ, his experiences and moments with MPQ, how he created those videos etc. He didn't claim that he was an expert.

Some of you need to chill.  :o

As ever, you exaggerate and distort. I guess "Mastery" isn't a claim of expertise in Houndland. It is all good though, best luck to him even if his content is not quite up to his name.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2019
    It's just a name. Is it necessary to pick on a "name"? It reminds me of those picking on the word "expert players". If you did read the interview, this is what he said:

So are you an MPQ Master?

Hahahaha! Am I a master? I know a lot about Marvel Puzzle Quest and I’ve been playing for a long time, but really, most likely not. But that’s also part of the goal of the channel. If we all exist in a vacuum, then we can’t grow. But by sharing our thoughts and ideas and designs and strategies for this awesome game with each other, we can all grow and become that much better. Through MPQ Mastery, we can all attain the level of Master together. It’s a lofty goal, but it’s one I see as both highly attainable and exciting to pursue. And even if we don’t get there, we’ll have fun along the way.