**** Mysterio (Quentin Beck) ****

1235»

Comments

• purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2019
    Jinkies! He's awful! 
    - Change the hero designation. Talos was not a villain in MCU but game chose source version. So now MCU has made Jake G a hero and the game goesagainst source. It just.... no. Devs you got it wrong.  Go read Old Man Logan and tell me about his being a hero, go ahead I'll wait........
    can we have a new neutral/non designation for some new chars? cuz like IS  Ronin a hero? the whole point is he is not. Is Blackcat a hero , not really, Namor? some of these are not as clear cut and we don't NEED it to be a binary choice.  
    - Art - giving the clenched fist is cool, the mist one is lame and gah stop showing me bearded Jake Gyllenhall's face! especially on the load screen. Nobody needs to see that. He has one of the most iconic looks with the fishbowl! and we get another barrista sneering at us. beards are not cool on superheroes. 
    - Weak like a tired kitten. 

+ The trap destroyed language is a great improvement on traps. but as noted Does Not work. I love traps and think they need a major inclusion in the meta, like Repeaters are. * EDIT: actually they are just like repeaters in the grittymeta=meaningless) Which can only happen when they are valued for the level of difficulty involved. With his language allowing them to trigger on destroy effects I understand they are low but it is right inbetween Kravens and Elektras Black which is all just tickling with a wet noodle compared to JJ.
    himatako said:
     You can spam the traps enough for it to be threatening and since it's easier to activate, it's not completely useless like Spiderwoman's.
    I love you but you don't know what your talking about.... She's my TrapQueen!! 15kdam w/ independently stacking triggers per match is a one shot to anyone not boosted and has been kicking tinnykitty this season. The flip is a fantastic universal removal for a great rate. Do you find Mockingbird useless? J.Drew and Cap'n Marvel just leave that tasty powerful color bait out there....nomnom AI. 
    +Invisibility is always cool. now if only there was any chance I could get my hands on a Quantum realm

= Yellow conversion is okay - we have other green sources so I am glad that it's a different color.(Kingpin also does it) but still seems seems like treading water. I think this power can be exploited if there was a killer yellow power. The best I see: Uppercut, Light Daggers, Fury/Cap'n Avengers call. I think it's most intriguing possibilities lie in the conversion: Uncanny strategist, Brush Pass, Striking distance, Indomitable Spirit, Aurora Totallis. 

TEAMS:
    AV/Okoye - OK tanks AV colors and in theory Mysterio will be invisible so it keeps putting Okoye in front and pushing her a constant stream of yellow, Or that yellow will allow AV to turn him invisible. Then when AV is shaking the board and randomly destroying tiles you getting actual damage out of it from OKoye. If the destroyed tiles actually trigger.

I could see him running with a strong red nuke and an IM40, all that blue just converts over, IM comes out of stun fires his CD and the purple keeps the invisibility/traps going, 3* torch would be ideal for newbs.

Wiccan, Merika - shake baby shake

Namor/Bishop? couple ways to generate blue, an active green

Sandman/bishop? yellow keeps spitting out protects to convert to blue to convert to shields, and if you balance SM right you would occasionally be getting that yellow to nuke.

MEH/Shuri -  Crowd goes wild triggers shuri who throws down some virtuosity and da bomb which melts the board and all the stacked fortified match triggers finish off.

He kinda helps the spiderverse; Miles stacks up needless blue which eventually get converted to either ramp Miles/gwen adding more webs or just take the Pledge and funnel into peekaboo or stun. 

The most hurtful rub is of course dilution. Even though he is soft, Even though he is not a villain to use my Corvus Glaive on, Even though he harms yourself,  I can see myself enjoying playing around to try and make him work but I won't be able to champ him without bonus heroes. Which currently have Saber, and ronin and blackcat deservedly ahead of the likes of him! 

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    tiomono said:
    ZootSax said:
    tiomono said:
    Another problem I have is his yellow damages your team.  Are there any good powers that damage your own team (except Thanos)?  It's like they wanted to make him Konran (or whatever the big hand goon is called...).  
    Fastball special, but its pricey. I dont mind 3* Gambits black but I would not call it good.

Sentry's old green used to do team damage and be good.  3* Hulk's black does team damage and enables Hulk Bombing & Hulk/KK/Mohawk to do their thing.  ...otherwise, it's a pretty short list.
    Yeah, I guess my real point was more along the lines of "why is this a thing"?  I just don't get the thought process behind adding a self damaging aspect to a power that's not OP to begin with (also looking at you Banner, Phoenix... that's in addition to direct damage to your team from other powers).  I know the damage is trivial, but can't come up for an argument as to why it's needed...ever...
    Banner helps my kitty beat teams that dont make their own specials.
    I applaud your ingenuity B).  I never even thought about that.  Learn something new ever day.  I guess you can use Banner with Fatpin too :)  

Your next mission is to figure out how to use 5* Wasp ;)
    I dont have her champed yet. She is at 11 covers and level 345. I pull classics so I might get her. My antman is at 290. So 30 more covers on him and she is good. Or 10 covers and a classic pull. I will definitely try to find something to do with her.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think that Dr Strange's passive triggers when Mysterio's The Pledge countdown goes off...is that how it is supposed to work?  I am pretty sure that happened to me in his PvP, but I'm not 100% sure.  Can anyone confirm this?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZootSax said:
    tiomono said:
    Another problem I have is his yellow damages your team.  Are there any good powers that damage your own team (except Thanos)?  It's like they wanted to make him Konran (or whatever the big hand goon is called...).  
    Fastball special, but its pricey. I dont mind 3* Gambits black but I would not call it good.

Sentry's old green used to do team damage and be good.  3* Hulk's black does team damage and enables Hulk Bombing & Hulk/KK/Mohawk to do their thing.  ...otherwise, it's a pretty short list.
    Yeah, I guess my real point was more along the lines of "why is this a thing"?  I just don't get the thought process behind adding a self damaging aspect to a power that's not OP to begin with (also looking at you Banner, Phoenix... that's in addition to direct damage to your team from other powers).  I know the damage is trivial, but can't come up for an argument as to why it's needed...ever...
    I haven't seen the movie, not do I know if the intent of the design is such, but I feel certain that at some point Mysterio betrays Spidey.  The team damage aspect emulates - to me, anyway - him revealing his true intentions.

Gameplay-wise I have no argument for why he should do this in terms of balancing him out, other than the auto-stun on top of (cheap) invisibility is perhaps viewed as a strong combination.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find him to be really helpful between GE Doom and Okoye in his pvp, I kind of like him lol
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Eventually, Mysterio sounds like another good partner for the Medusa + Carnage duo. 
    Matching all of those enemy attack tiles will result in green, blue, and purple AP, on top of the health boosts from friendly attack tile matches.
    That free blue could help stun the highest level enemy more often, and the purple could be spent making Mysterio invisible. But I'd probably use it more often for Medusa, to steal many of the enemy attack tiles with her swap. 
    His cheap yellow will work to earn even more purple from yellow matches, which could happen automatically when she meddles with the board. 
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    5/5/3
    AlexR said:
    Shield Training with him was tinykitty frustrating--- but I didn't come away way with "he's useless". He felt like he could actually be quite interesting ...in a different team. In THIS team? PAIRED WITH PEGGY? Someone was feeling seriously sadistic. Like, I was feeling like the game was trying to make a philosophical statement about the futility of life by deleting your blue anytime you get close to Peggy's blue.
    It kinda goes back to my prior post. Blue is a very valuable colour for many characters-- so you can't just slap him on any random team, because chances are, this will happen: You can't use your best colour in favour of yellow, which we have very few good active users of in the tier.
    ...but on the other hand! With a constant stream of blue, he was constantly stunning the opponent. I can see a use for that, you just gotta actually put him on a team that does not need blue. Maybe run him on a Vulture team? Idk, would need to experiement more, but I'd still rate him above Talos and Emma Frost. Maybe he'll end up like 4* BW where I just needed some time to find a good synergy-based team that can work with what he can bring to the table.
    When he's boosted, he works extremely well with the Spider-Verse characters, especially Miles and Iron Spider, as neither actively uses blue. I need more covers in his powers before I'm totally won over, but he is winning me over as a nice pairing for that team if I need a little more rainbow coverage with more random stunning.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's an interesting addition to a Sinister 3 team. Vulture/Mysterio/Brock Venom maybe, where everyone is generating AP for each other. Well, venom is mostly burning AP there, but still. Strange that Prowler has the Sinister 6 affiliation and Mysterio just has "heroes." I wonder if there is some broken Support interaction with him I can't think of on one of the villain only supports that required that?

• heybub
    heybub Posts: 287 Mover and Shaker
    I am starting to like the guy.  I've been asking for Mysterio for quite some time, so the character is just cool.  After playing him in the PVE, he ultimately kinda sucks, but interesting and a bit fun.  I tried getting blue and yellow to generate pink and keep him invisible, as I envisioned him to be like IW, ie very annoying, as he could continuously make himself invisible, but this wasn't really the case.  Maybe I need to pair him with some accelerators, or use him differently (I'm still not sure who to use him with).  All in all, he is growing on me a bit, even though he is ultimately not that great. 
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2019
    5/5/3
    AlexR said:
    Shield Training with him was tinykitty frustrating--- but I didn't come away way with "he's useless". He felt like he could actually be quite interesting ...in a different team. In THIS team? PAIRED WITH PEGGY? Someone was feeling seriously sadistic. Like, I was feeling like the game was trying to make a philosophical statement about the futility of life by deleting your blue anytime you get close to Peggy's blue.
    It kinda goes back to my prior post. Blue is a very valuable colour for many characters-- so you can't just slap him on any random team, because chances are, this will happen: You can't use your best colour in favour of yellow, which we have very few good active users of in the tier.
    ...but on the other hand! With a constant stream of blue, he was constantly stunning the opponent. I can see a use for that, you just gotta actually put him on a team that does not need blue. Maybe run him on a Vulture team? Idk, would need to experiement more, but I'd still rate him above Talos and Emma Frost. Maybe he'll end up like 4* BW where I just needed some time to find a good synergy-based team that can work with what he can bring to the table.
    When he's boosted, he works extremely well with the Spider-Verse characters, especially Miles and Iron Spider, as neither actively uses blue. I need more covers in his powers before I'm totally won over, but he is winning me over as a nice pairing for that team if I need a little more rainbow coverage with more random stunning.
    Absolutey. I've had Miles/Infinity Spidey/Mysterio recommended to me since I just champed Miles and was looking for a Miles team. And it's incredibly fun, even with a slightly underleveled Iron Spider and a 0/1/1 Mysterio-- with Mysterio's conversion you can spam Miles' yellow in addition to Spidey passively making web tiles and Spidey's green and the board is webbed SO FAST. Which turns Miles into a serious purple/red/blue feeder which helps feed back to yellow & get off some stuns while you're at it and feed both their nukes. Mysterio's definitely winning me over in the "can be used for cool team building" department.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    After his pvp and my now having a rudimentary basic 1/1/1, I have to admit,  He is AMAZING!! he is really well built. I must have been blinded by the lowlowbasementlowlowlow dwarfs digging in the deep lowlow damage numbers. 1*'spidey using his damage numbers to sit on. It's like you had this beautiful cashmere sweater and hotwashed that tinykitty and threw it in the dryer; cuz your numbers look shrunk!  Them numbers are so small they don't let him ride the fun metacoaster, so he wishes on a Zoltan machine to be a real 4* but then realizes in the cut-throat downtown world of 5* matchdam that he misses his family and returns back to his best friend bishop. Anyway, He is a fixer; his numbers don't really need to do anything, because it's all in that stun and those filters.

For my next trick+Bishop = autostun. behold the new gambatt: 0/5/0 Mysterio......Myshop? ...Batterio? .......mysterbatt...that's MR. Batt to you!.

The yellow is a denial/ramp/randomdamage fountain all rolled into one, for cheap. Next time sinister 6 comes around- remember him against Sandman.
    His invisibility is timed and not CD dependent which can only then be changed with a non-targeted status shift (stunned/airborne) which is nice when "destroying" the board is now a viable Trap strategy. 

vs him 1v1 he will be a pain. take forever to kill. All the annoyance of Deadpool's CDFW.
    His crash is gonna be breezy though

I think he is worth taking another look at and personally once they let him enter the pool; I'm chasing. Where he is in the dilution means he might be my new unicorn!  <3
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor

I'd like to see his yellow CD become fortified, and have it also create some Blue tiles when it triggers. Seven or so.

Also, adding a passive to purple that makes him (or his whole team) turn invisible for a few turns at the start of the battle would widen his usage potential considerably. Even just 2 turns of team invisibility would be a promising buffer against early enemy cascades (esp. with say, Jugoye or Gritty). 

• Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm still curious why Mysterio is a hero. I'll admit I'm not a comic guy and likely out of the loop, but isn't Mysterio one of Spiderman's worst enemies?
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Regarding why he's a hero, this version is specifically tied to the movie "Spider-Man: Far from Home".

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    sinnerjfl said:
    Regarding why he's a hero, this version is specifically tied to the movie "Spider-Man: Far from Home".

More specifically, it's tied to the trailers, so they don't generate inadvertant spoilers. The same reason that Talos is tagged as a Villain.