**** Mysterio (Quentin Beck) ****

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    tiomono said:
    KGB said:

Yellow is garbage because unless he's damaged it does nothing for you (ie can't heal allies) and it's of course a burst. If the Yellow could have healed a targeted ally (ala Widows heal) then he and Bishop could have teamed up for some real shenanigans.

KGB
    -snip-

Brigby  
    Do we know if enemies can match his traps and damage themselves?
    Mysterio's traps can be matched OR destroyed by either enemies or allies to activate
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa said:
    Warbringa said:
    <snip>
    Would pair well with Red Hulk I think.  Feed Red Hulk's purple easily and then crush away.
    <snip>
    I thought about that too, but it seems a bit too slow because you will first have to get his yellow tile out before yellow matches generate purple. 

Both yellow and blue matches will help you get that countdown out though.  And at that point all of yellow, purple, and green matches (roughly half the board) will help fuel Hulk's green.

I suspect half the effectiveness would come from better immunity to bad boards.  The more colours that will feed a move, the less likely it is to find no usable matches.

• MrBowers
    MrBowers Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Looking at his affiliation it says heroes. Surely he should be a villain? 
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,907 Chairperson of the Boards
    ***Mod Note***

Just a friendly reminder to please use the spoiler tag function when discussing spoiler information regarding new movies, comics and such. Thank you for your kindness and cooperation.
  • steakleather
    steakleather Posts: 121 Tile Toppler
    Played with him in the loaner node of shield training, and boy is this character a pile of hot garbage. Put him next to Emma Frost in the "I will never use" bin.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Played with him in the loaner node of shield training, and boy is this character a pile of hot garbage. Put him next to Emma Frost in the "I will never use" bin.
    Totally concur, fun to watch the animations (turned them on just to see fishbowl do his thing), but otherwise sloooooow and no such low damage.

Also posted the following to the bug section about his purple power:

The description says "damage when matched or destroyed," but during SHIELD Training there were two instances where this wasn't true

1) Domino's "Enter the Fray" destroyed a trap tile and no damage was assessed
    2) When the trap tile was in a row/column and was destroyed by a match 4.  If it was part of the match 4 the damage would assess, but if it was not it didn't.

Based on 1, this might also be applicable to Quake's Resonance Frequency, but she never targeted blue in my match.
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    The blue potentially has some use, but it isn't great and the rest of his kit is garbage.

Traps seriously need to be overhauled in general as they are so weak when facing countdown generators who can wipe them out without triggering them and in his case they do negligible damage even if that doesn't happen. You could add a zero to his and they still wouldn't be great. 
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2019
    sweet Jesus, just played the loaner node in shield training... 
    why do you hate mysterio that much? 

just so you can troll people next time there is a shield training?
    he will be essential, right? 
    RIGHT?

mysterio and peggy.
    totally clueless or great troll? 
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2019
    I too wish the damage numbers were higher, but I believe many are missing some of the strategy here. 

Be patient, wait to play his purple when you have a blue match available on the board. This will make it very likely that you will match a trap on this turn. 

Be strategic, play his yellow when you have a yellow match available on the board. This will help the likelihood that you will gain purple from this yellow match (being fortified would greatly help if this CD appears within the yellow you intend to match). 

Blue, purple, yellow characters are usually heavily support related, and not the forefront damage dealers. Coulson, Prof-X, Ant-Man, etc. These types of characters are not commonly used in PvP shield hops or PvE grinds, but they can be very fun and helpful to play in general.  

Now let's look at Bishop, is he a huge damage dealer? Sometimes yes kinda, but definitely not always.
    Will Mysterio require a health-pack after the match? Probably not very often, but Bishop almost always does. 
    Plan your team accordingly and I think Mysterio could be very strategic and useful, as others have stated.  
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    @Brigby So running him in the loaner node it seemed like his traps were not going off when destroyed but only matched. 
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Wow he’s awful, the loaner node was a massive pain. Peggy’s Blue is her better power, but you’ll never get to use it because the blue will get converted to purple, unless you get a huge cascade of blue in one specific turn.

Plus you have MEH’s purple nuke to worry about, Quake and her AOE damage suppressor, and Domino bring in a ton of Black with no Black user on our side.

Took me two tries, and barely survived on the second one.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Another character with an unreadable move.
    The font on his blue is too large so you cannot see what it does. Add this to 4* Black Widow's black move and one of Hela's moves and it's a weird glitch that keeps happening that seemingly never gets fixed.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    RickOShay said:

Be patient
    The point in your post you lost 99% of the players  :D
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    MrBowers said:
    Looking at his affiliation it says heroes. Surely he should be a villain? 
    Haven't you been reading the Daily Bugle?  Spider-Man is the real menace.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I don't know why they put IW there in the sim. I thought Mysterio's trap would benefit from the strike tiles she can create but you'll never get to use her blue because of his passive. 

If his blue were an active ability, he would have been a much better character. His purple is also useless when you don't have enough blue tiles to place your traps on. I'd rather it place traps on random tiles when this happens instead of less traps when the damage is already low.

Other than that I kinda like him? You can spam the traps enough for it to be threatening and since it's easier to activate, it's not completely useless like Spiderwoman's.

Increase his damage, make his blue active and I think he'll be much more fun to play.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,568 Chairperson of the Boards
    I won his cover and it was a yellow - quick question as I haven't tried (or even rostered) it yet, the power apart from making useless purple for me steals health from a random ally or foe - as I wont have any allies in Mysties section of ST am I right in thinking it will 100% steal my enemies health? Or will it attempt to and fail to steal somebody non-existent like some of the AP stealers do? Apologies if this got answered already elsewhere.

Just trying to figure out if he is just mostly useless or completely and utterly useless with this one cover.

Although, I guess it doesn't matter that much, I'll bring a team-up.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    The worst part about his Blue is that you often don't get the stun component because you don't have enough left over Blue for that part to trigger.

If you don't run it at 5 covers then unless you have 10 or more Blue at the start of a turn you don't get the stun. 10+ Blue is hard to hit (3 matches of 3 don't get you there). If you run at 5 covers then you need 9 or more more to get the stun but that means you are running Yellow at 3 covers (which means very low health steal) since you always run Purple at 5.

He's a bottom 5 character, maybe not quite as bad as Talos/Emma but he's very close to them. The fact so many here are *trying* to find teams or situations to use him says he's garbage because for average characters (never mind good or meta) you don't have to do that.

KGB
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/5/3
    himatako said:
    I don't know why they put IW there in the sim. I thought Mysterio's trap would benefit from the strike tiles she can create but you'll never get to use her blue because of his passive. 

If his blue were an active ability, he would have been a much better character. His purple is also useless when you don't have enough blue tiles to place your traps on. I'd rather it place traps on random tiles when this happens instead of less traps when the damage is already low.

Other than that I kinda like him? You can spam the traps enough for it to be threatening and since it's easier to activate, it's not completely useless like Spiderwoman's.

Increase his damage, make his blue active and I think he'll be much more fun to play.
    But with his blue as is you are getting free damage plus a possible stun at no ap loss at all. He is converting to another color at a 1:1 ratio. 

I just feel like people are hating on him because of low damage numbers.
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:

I just feel like people are hating on him because of low damage numbers.
    Nope.  I'm hating on him because he is freaking slow and really has no place on any of my teams.