The Safe Rant Thread for Letting Off Steam.

Comments

• Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    There are so many cards not functioning as they are worded, and interactions not happening like they should.  I feel like I'm relying more on luck of "gee I wonder how this card really works," than skill
    Skill is relative when you still contend with gem matches, and card draw. 
  • Gurthshaker
    Gurthshaker Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Alright, ranting, raving, and conspiracy theories.  Here we go. After only a few days of encountering vanguards I realize that I  will be forced put at least one card to destroy them in every deck.  It's like playing with 2 support destroyers in a deck.  Not that I have no experience with that :glares at everyone playing teferi decks with settle the wreckage and  starfield of nyx:  As for raving I never understand why trying to finish an event is so difficult near the last hour. It's like every opponent gets 6 landfalls  in a row.  Conspiracy theories,  okay is it just me or does the computer know if you never spent money on the game? Your rocking out in the top 5 in an event and all of a sudden you get no creatures or matches for 57 turns lol.  There  :smiles at the kitty: 
  • Mcclaine
    Mcclaine Posts: 59 Match Maker
    Alright, ranting, raving, and conspiracy theories.  Here we go. After only a few days of encountering vanguards I realize that I  will be forced put at least one card to destroy them in every deck.  It's like playing with 2 support destroyers in a deck.  Not that I have no experience with that :glares at everyone playing teferi decks with settle the wreckage and  starfield of nyx:  As for raving I never understand why trying to finish an event is so difficult near the last hour. It's like every opponent gets 6 landfalls  in a row.  Conspiracy theories,  okay is it just me or does the computer know if you never spent money on the game? Your rocking out in the top 5 in an event and all of a sudden you get no creatures or matches for 57 turns lol.  There  :smiles at the kitty: 
    Confirmation bias. But trust me, spending money on the game won't make that feeling go away. It sometimes seems like the damn AI knows exactly whats in your hand and makes the exact match that will leave you starved for mana.
    BSZ and/or sarkhan 3 etc. won't always save you. And on that note, I have discovered today that i despise Teferi time raveler as a vanguard just as much as I do in paper
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Mcclaine said:
    Confirmation bias. But trust me, spending money on the game won't make that feeling go away. It sometimes seems like the damn AI knows exactly whats in your hand and makes the exact match that will leave you starved for mana.
    BSZ and/or sarkhan 3 etc. won't always save you. And on that note, I have discovered today that i despise Teferi time raveler as a vanguard just as much as I do in paper
    Actually, on the conspiracy train, I do wonder whether Greg can see trap gems. While color mastering of late, I've noticed that Greg absolutely won't touch trap gems unless it's via a cascade, even when the trap gem is on a match-four on his best color bonus.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Just Dropped In
    wow what a super short list. have you seen mine? It was before VIP went live so I can easily double to triple that list now but who has the energy?
  • Stalker
    DumasAG said:
    Mcclaine said:
    Actually, on the conspiracy train, I do wonder whether Greg can see trap gems. While color mastering of late, I've noticed that Greg absolutely won't touch trap gems unless it's via a cascade, even when the trap gem is on a match-four on his best color bonus.
    Seen this many times and greg grabbing my color matches when his was available with no cascade coming from it. Some times I have also seen greg skip free swap matches due to an unforeseen on my end cacade lol
  • Llv777
    Llv777 Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    edited July 2019
    Sick of doing events where other decks have cards that have nothing to do w objectives just going for the win. But how could you know you may say? Because I count their cards and make a list and have very good idea of about 80%plus of what is in there from the battle log. 

Why not have some kind of hard lock where just like you have to have a certain coloured walker, or you have to use certain expansions, then you have to have st least two cards with amass (say), or at least three cards w knights warriors soldiers etc in your deck, or it’s a no go. 

Bear at in mind I’m a mighty Silver casual so the oh noes some people don’t have the cards is quite possibly going to apply to me. That’s fine. This is a special event and it requires special cards and special objectives.

otherwise, why the hell would I massacre what little synergy I have and drop what few powerful cards I have when the other ppl show up with tezz artifact decks in the war of the spark glory event (really? Really? Cmon.) I may as well go screw the amass, I’ll just play my usual lil deck and get the win. 

In which case, why have the event. It defeats the purpose. 

Other events where its AI you have no choice but to alter your deck to meet the objectives and get the bonus points. Why not with all events? 

And confirmation bias... people could do a spreadsheet w a good sample size show it with statistics and you could still go oh no but it’s confirmation bias. The ai gets a LOT of cascades. You know it. I know it. Stop pretending that it makes sense for it to ignore an on color match, ignore a Adapt match, ignores the four off color match and goes for some random thing and then somehow gets cascades from off the screen. It happens and it’s absolute tripe. 

• DumasAG
    Llv777 said:
    Sick of doing events where other decks have cards that have nothing to do w objectives just going for the win. But how could you know you may say? Because I count their cards and make a list and have very good idea of about 80%plus of what is in there from the battle log. 

Why not have some kind of hard lock where just like you have to have a certain coloured walker, or you have to use certain expansions, then you have to have st least two cards with amass (say), or at least three cards w knights warriors soldiers etc in your deck, or it’s a no go. 

Bear at in mind I’m a mighty Silver casual so the oh noes some people don’t have the cards is quite possibly going to apply to me. That’s fine. This is a special event and it requires special cards and special objectives.

otherwise, why the hell would I massacre what little synergy I have and drop what few powerful cards I have when the other ppl show up with tezz artifact decks in the war of the spark glory event (really? Really? Cmon.) I may as well go screw the amass, I’ll just play my usual lil deck and get the win. 

Other events where its AI you have no choice but to alter your deck to meet the objectives and get the bonus points. Why not with all events? 

And confirmation bias... people could do a spreadsheet w a good sample size show it with statistics and you could still go oh no but it’s confirmation bias. The ai gets a LOT of cascades. You know it. I know it. Stop pretending that it makes sense for it to ignore an on color match, ignore a Adapt match, ignores the four off color match and goes for some random thing and then somehow gets cascades from off the screen. It happens and it’s absolute tripe. 

Its actually a simple fix. Only award points for support objectives, none for actually winning.
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Llv777 said:
    And confirmation bias... people could do a spreadsheet w a good sample size show it with statistics and you could still go oh no but it’s confirmation bias.
    The ai gets a LOT of cascades. You know it. I know it.
    Actually, at least one instance of said spreadsheet has been catalogued (link is in sig), and it shows that however many cascades the AI gets, a tactical human gets more.

(I know this is the rant thread, but if I do somehow manage to deprive you of this rant topic, it looks like you will still have others.)
  • Stalker
    Volrak said:
    Llv777 said:
    And confirmation bias... people could do a spreadsheet w a good sample size show it with statistics and you could still go oh no but it’s confirmation bias.
    The ai gets a LOT of cascades. You know it. I know it.
    Actually, at least one instance of said spreadsheet has been catalogued (link is in sig), and it shows that however many cascades the AI gets, a tactical human gets more.

(I know this is the rant thread, but if I do somehow manage to deprive you of this rant topic, it looks like you will still have others.)
    The one stat I would like tracked is gregs cascade when you take the games suggestion on the next match vs when you go out of your way to avoid using the games suggested match
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    DumasAG said:
    Llv777 said:

Its actually a simple fix. Only award points for support objectives, none for actually winning.
    I hate how this gets suggested so often.  The point of playing a game is to win.  You shouldn't get rewarded for losing.  Secondary objectives are just that, secondary.

It should be possible to make it so that you can only submit decks that have the ability to meet the objectives (so you need to have at least 1 proliferate card, or at least 1 creature with power 5 or more...ect).  That would mitigate the issue, but not ruin the game.
  • DumasAG
    Mburn7 said:
    DumasAG said:
    Llv777 said:

I hate how this gets suggested so often.  The point of playing a game is to win.  You shouldn't get rewarded for losing.  Secondary objectives are just that, secondary.

It should be possible to make it so that you can only submit decks that have the ability to meet the objectives (so you need to have at least 1 proliferate card, or at least 1 creature with power 5 or more...ect).  That would mitigate the issue, but not ruin the game.
    I am not suggesting you receive points for losing. I'm only suggesting that you receive points after winning a game only for the support objectives. In essence, if you lose you get zero points. If you win, you're allotted points based on following the guidelines of deck-building. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've had some fantastic mythic rare/mythic pulls the last couple weeks, only to find that most of them are glitched and dont work. :/
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    So, tonight I picked up Fblthp the Lost. The runes he came with gave me enough to take him straight to 60 so I did, then I decided to give him a spin in Training Grounds, test out some ideas.

Deck 1: well, I've never really abused Naru, and Fblthp here just seems like he's basically designed for abusing Naru. So I throw together a Naru/Quasi deck, with Adeliz in there and some fetch and the usual sort of stuff.

Game 1: I'm up against a neat Domri deck that runs Killer Instinct with Izoni and Hatchery Spider. Unfortunately, the game is SO buggy that...I honestly have no clue what even happened. I can't even open a bug report because things went so pearshaped I don't even know where to begin. Creatures appeared and disappeared basically at random; the battle log offered no clues whatsoever. After a while of it going basically nowhere and me having absolutely no idea what's happening, my opponent's deck finally has enough stuff in the graveyard to really go off and I end up facing a 30something-power Hatchery Spider with (inexplicably!) nothing on my board and no cards in hand, so I quit.

Deck 2: Well, that buggy mess wasn't fun. I did get enough of a Quasi/Naru loop going on at one point to appreciate how it's Cycling-esque levels of tedium to actually do. Scratch that deck, let's make something more fun. How about Djinn of Three Wishes and Rupture Spire? Fblthp can bounce the Djinn in and out all day long, that should get fun right? I throw in that nightmare Sphinx, Soulblade Djinn for the extra djinn flavor, StV and River's Rebuke, then Talent of the Telepath, the blue Finale, Connive/Concoct, and Stitch in Time (basically an auto-include in every deck it can go in). It's not the most refined djinn deck ever but it seems workable for something I slapped together in a couple minutes.

Game 2: I'm up against a random Kiora deck that does basically nothing except try to hardcast Ghalta every time I bounce it. I start with a ton of cascades but no creatures in hand. I cast Stitch in Time repeatedly and end up using my 3rd a couple times with an empty board, just to draw the cards. I can't draw a creature to save my life. I go so long without drawing a creature that I start to wonder if Fblthp's 3rd ability is doing weird things with shuffling the deck like somehow putting all the creatures at the bottom. I surveil, I draw extra cards, I fetch cards, I still can't find a dang creature. Eventually I draw one sphinx - after going through ~22 non-creature cards in my 40-card deck - but I'm bored and obviously the deck didn't have enough fetch to ensure I could actually get to a Djinn (somehow?!?) so I decide the deck needs more work and quit out, planning to add in Fblthp (the card) and Neoform or something, despite being ahead at that point. Bug or mathematical oddity? I can't begin to guess.

Deck 3: I was going to refine my Djinn deck some more, but then I get into a conversation with a friend who also plays this game, about Fblthp and whether the game distinguishes between "owner" and "controller" the way paper magic does. I decide to test it out with a wacky deck that feels fitting for Fblthp, of Mirror Image, Fblthp (the card), Hostage Taker, Switcheroo, Mass Manipulation, Chaos Wand, and similar nonsense. Neoform still makes it in; Djinn does not.

Game 3: It turns out that MTGPQ makes no distinction between owner and controller - as far as the game is concerned, the current controller of a card owns it. There goes my idea of giving my opponent my creatures and then using Fblthp's 2nd to shuffle my guys back into my deck and get myself more free guys. Nevertheless, my opponent is playing Teferi with some big beaters, and I swap a Mirror Image for that same nightmare sphinx whose name I can never remember (which Mirror Image also gives me a copy of), and then I swap a Fblthp for a Fleet Swallower, and it's an easy win in a few turns. Except, you know, when I actually get to the screen that should say "Victory" instead I get the dreaded "Something Went Wrong", which persists through a bunch of tries until eventually I hit "cancel" and there I am, hit-point drained with still no TG wins.

And that's how I spent forty minutes playing around with a new planeswalker. 2 games wrecked by bugs, 1 game maybe bugged or maybe not, I can't even tell anymore.

This is why no amount of new content, no matter how fun or interesting it theoretically is, is ever gonna save this game.

tl;dr - FIX YOUR BUGGY MESS OF A GAME.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Stormcrow - enjoyed reading about your experience. Do not enjoy your experience. Makes me wish I hadn’t spend MC on mr. F.
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    I never learn. Just bought another mythic vanguard pack and opened my third Ajani which brings me to 3 Nissa 3 vivien and 3 ajani for the 9 times I've tried. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    I never learn. Just bought another mythic vanguard pack and opened my third Ajani which brings me to 3 Nissa 3 vivien and 3 ajani for the 9 times I've tried. 
    That's rough :/
  • OmegaLolrus
    OmegaLolrus Posts: 253 Mover and Shaker
    Wish I could trade my extra Teferi for a Nissa...
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    Somebody needs to take my keys away. Opened a teferi yay! Figured I finally got a new card might as well go for it and buy another pack... opened a second teferi. So now I'm up to 11 mythic vanguard packs resulting in only 4 unique cards.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Narcoticsagent - sorry to hear that! I can only recommend that you ignore the vanguard cards altogether - I have - it is simply to much of a money grab.