I love Magic: The Gathering - I don’t want to play it

Options
2»

Comments

• Bensdad52710
    Bensdad52710 Posts: 1 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have been playing for years and it seems now more than ever the AI just keeps getting 5-12 matches per turn. I don't mind losing to better decks. It's just disappointing to know that I am not going to get many meaningful gem matches and then lose because of that. It's kind of like being bullied. I have some great cards and combos but they are neutered with by the 3 minute AI cascades. This is why I won't pay for cards and why I only have the patience to play in the PVE and coalition events. Please find a way to turn down the number of gem matches for the AI. I am not sure I will be willing to play after awhile if the trend continues. I enjoy seeing the mechanix of other players decks. I think there are some great setups and great cards. I wonder if there could be some sort exchange for cards we don't like or use like Thropter pie network for example and get some of them yellow gems in return. 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    rafalele said:
    Boogeyman said:
    rafalele said:
    It also would be nice that Greg should fight trying to achive the node objectives. Sometimes is not fair waiting to cast the needed cards and Greg casting things without restrictions. I know that for this Greg should be much more clever.
    Here is a take on this though:  There are two ways to get node secondary objectives.  Gain them yourself OR prevent Greg from achieving them.  Now that sounds fun and it would keep people from making troll decks. 
    Well said, preventing Greg achiving objectives also would be fun.
    Like preventing him from damaging you for 20 points? :neutral:
  • Feiticiera
    Feiticiera Posts: 34 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I really liked the restricted decks component of the event.  Forced me to think outside my standard BSZ, StV, river's rebuke, etc. that I've been relying so heavily on for just about every match in the last multitude of events. 

I was bummed I couldn't use dowsing dagger for the kill objective,  but found using awaken the erstwhile to be a decent enough replacement that saved me a few times.  Playing with cards I wouldn't normally use (without being restricted to pauper decks, yuck) was fun for me to experiment around with.

Didn't place as well as I would have liked but overall I felt it was a step in the right direction.  I'd much rather see more events like this than the same old recycled events with slightly different objectives.  I'm also interested to see how this deck swapping event pans out... hoping for the best although somewhat apprehensive at the same time.
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This has been a problem since the start really ( Story - less than 5 life .... ) It is one of the dumbest things the developers of the game have done and it has continued to this day. Objectives that make you achieve a goal by managing cards to achieve a goal other than WINNING. isn't Magic the Gathering, not WINNING  .. AND... 
  • Stalker
    Stalker Posts: 141 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This has been a problem since the start really ( Story - less than 5 life .... ) It is one of the dumbest things the developers of the game have done and it has continued to this day. Objectives that make you achieve a goal by managing cards to achieve a goal other than WINNING. isn't Magic the Gathering, not WINNING  .. AND... 
    yes and no. The object of magic is to sell you cards and continue to make new ones to sell those to you. They just happen to make having the cards beneficial for more than just collecting dust in a box. Playing the game is fun and akin to chess.
    Same with this game. They use objectives to make up for a lack of story or other things to do in this collecting app. If it was a pure gem game there were be levels and a goal. But this is a hybrid where the jewels are a sub component and your collection and rng for draw is the variable for play.
  • Outersider
    Outersider Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I totally disagree the objectives don't make me want to play the game, it makes me want to get rid of it at times.... There is no if and or but, the object of Magic the Gathering is to win. Period. Not win AND complete an objective. If they actually served a useful purpose (what purpose does having less than 5 life serve).. I could probably get behind objectives along the lines of With with only Standard cards, win with only multi colored cards,that allow the new players to learn about the cards.... there is nothing served by having less than 5 life. period. As I said before bad objectives have been part and parcel of the game since it's start. It's nothing new... it's just bad decision making at it's best to continue to create objectives that serve no useful purpose. 
  • Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I really like the limited format, though I agree there should have been warning (the main thing the 2 companies together fail at over and over and over).

From  casual perspective I had problems at the start and then got things working well by the end by playing differently. But for top 10 players there are huge layers of extra stress from unexpected things, they are the ones who don't get to just "have fun" with different stuff and that sucks...

I wish the whole stupid competitive side of games didn't exist, it ruins so so many things, and causes stress and messed up headspaces and feelings in so many people who'd otherwise just be happy and excited.

In this case wereotter is right, but big overboard cards of the past have ruined people expectations, storm the vault is no different from New Perspectives, just a dumb I win button that people use as a crutch now.

You fixed Etali and Blue Suns (both in nice ways) why was Storm left alone?

Anyway... Yeah, there isn't much way to get things free, but there are tons of ways for things to cost half. Except for your first card you can pretty much never pay full cost for anything. It's slightly slower than before but NOT by much.
    And there are still new and different weird combos.

The only problem here was that the top 10 people didn't get a "test run" of things with no rewards or pressure. You can't surprise people at the last minute unless you get rid of the stupid competitive environment.

• Kinesia
    Kinesia Posts: 1,621 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    starfall said:
    I totally disagree the objectives don't make me want to play the game, it makes me want to get rid of it at times.... There is no if and or but, the object of Magic the Gathering is to win. Period. Not win AND complete an objective. If they actually served a useful purpose (what purpose does having less than 5 life serve).. I could probably get behind objectives along the lines of With with only Standard cards, win with only multi colored cards,that allow the new players to learn about the cards.... there is nothing served by having less than 5 life. period. As I said before bad objectives have been part and parcel of the game since it's start. It's nothing new... it's just bad decision making at it's best to continue to create objectives that serve no useful purpose. 
    Some objectives are indeed better than others. 'Cast >3 spells" is generally great because it shuts off all those broken spell combos we're sick of. But "Kill >X creatures" always involves hunting through your deck for loads of copies of Turn to Frog, or "Take >X damage" is mostly shooting yourself in the face with Beacon Bolts, and they are tedious.

By wording it should let you kill your own creatures and if it _did_ it would be just fine. WHY haven't Wizards and D3Go given extra (initial) resources to fix the wording on things which is one of the KEYSTONEs of paper magic? That the objectives and cards aren't rigidly worded breaks the Wizards IP and should theoretically void D3Go's contract to use it.  Oktagon aren't native english speakers, that's fine, so part of their agreement with D3Go should be D3Go filling in that gap.
  • arNero
    arNero Posts: 358 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    What hurt me about this game is that it's just about the only game left in my phone where I absolutely CANNOT obtain all non-renewable resources daily reward within 30 minutes.

What I mean is that all games I know have two types of currencies: Renewable currencies (in MtGPQ's case, this applies only to Runes) and Non-Renewable currencies (crystals and jewels).

In most other games I play, getting the maximum possible nonrenewable currencies per day usually won't take more than 1 hour, sometimes even doable within 30 minutes, which means when I play the game at my leisure the rest of the time it will be for grinding renewable currencies. Sadly MtGPQ fails completely at this parameter...