I love Magic: The Gathering - I don’t want to play it

Options
nerdstrap
nerdstrap Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
I want match 3 gems, cascades, and power ups that enhance the bombastic experience! I want Magic: The Gathering IP synergized with match 3 gems to make the experience familiar and fantastic.

I do not want to spend 10 turns waiting for the opponent AI to drop a creature so that I can damage it and meet an objective. I do not want to spend > 3 minutes setting up my board state to do small things. I do not want to spend more than 3 minutes playing any one game.

MTGPQ used to be these things. It used to be fun. Now it’s work. Now it’s not fun. Now it’s Magic: The Gathering but with software bugs and greed.

I don’t see a way for me to stay... Day 1 player. Top 10 coalition. Friend and mentor to many others on this forum, FB, reddit, discord... ugh

Comments

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I am one of those you have inspired, groomed, (spanked). But I do have to agree.  This last event was work, not fun. And I definitely call you my friend.  <3
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Definitely felt like an unpaid job.  I havent felt good about any mtgpq updates in a long time
  • bobby_2613
    bobby_2613 Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    Sad but true. 
    Whiners got what they wanted: nerfs and new events with less cards available. Hope this will bring new players cause this event was a chore... And we're supposed to get 5 colors of that? Ugh...  :'(
  • fiirst
    fiirst Posts: 438 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @Brigby
    RAW's tediousness is same level as prototype RTO (and get changed later), would you please consider to adjust both of objective and reward of RAW?
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not convinced it's the objectives that killed this event. I think what the original sentiment comes from is rooted in the powerful gem converters from Ixalan. Someone in my coalition asked how do you play this event without Storm the Vault, and it got me thinking that after a year and a half of that card, and to a lesser degree Itlimoc, defining the meta and the speed of games, going back to being forced to make poor mana matches and weaker gem conversion tools has really slowed down the speed of the game.

We should anticipate this trend to continue when the fall set is released later this year and the Ixalan block and Dominaria rotate out of Standard events. Best to look to what tools you have to replace that now and prepare.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I like the tribal creature objectives.  I don't like it when it picks 4 super obscure and non-thematic creature types, since I can't search for all at once when making my deck and its hard to remember which ones are which while deckbuilding.
    Also, I don't get the color of the nodes.  This is still a Ravnica set, they should all be 2 color unless you're featuring a specific story thing or character.  Since you had the same objective on each node it really didn't make sense why those particular pairs were chosen.

I really don't like the Kill Creatures objectives, like most others it seems.

Overall I give this a B.  Nice idea, but really poorly done (like everything else lately it seems)
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    I'm not convinced it's the objectives that killed this event. I think what the original sentiment comes from is rooted in the powerful gem converters from Ixalan. Someone in my coalition asked how do you play this event without Storm the Vault, and it got me thinking that after a year and a half of that card, and to a lesser degree Itlimoc, defining the meta and the speed of games, going back to being forced to make poor mana matches and weaker gem conversion tools has really slowed down the speed of the game.
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: In a game that hands out rewards based on grinding, faster games are better. If that means busted cards, so be it. Or maybe it just means rebalancing all of the PWs' life totals so games don't drag out.
    Regarding OP's thoughts, I agree that pedantic objectives that depends on opponents' decks are a guaranteed way to make this game not-fun. I heard more than one complaint about playing against creatureless decks on a node where casting creatures was required. If you're going to put that stuff on an objective, add some sort of deck check before it can be submitted.
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2019
    Options
    For the killing objectives nodes, would be enough that when the game selects the deck that Greg is going to use, to apply filter to get only the decks that have creatures and discard the other decks.

This can be done with alll kind of objectives. In this way anyone can play the deck they want.

It also would be nice that Greg should fight trying to achive the node objectives. Sometimes is not fair waiting to cast the needed cards and Greg casting things without restrictions. I know that for this Greg should be much more clever.
  • Boogeyman
    Boogeyman Posts: 223 Tile Toppler
    Options
    rafalele said:
    It also would be nice that Greg should fight trying to achive the node objectives. Sometimes is not fair waiting to cast the needed cards and Greg casting things without restrictions. I know that for this Greg should be much more clever.
    Here is a take on this though:  There are two ways to get node secondary objectives.  Gain them yourself OR prevent Greg from achieving them.  Now that sounds fun and it would keep people from making troll decks. 
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Boogeyman said:
    rafalele said:
    Here is a take on this though:  There are two ways to get node secondary objectives.  Gain them yourself OR prevent Greg from achieving them.  Now that sounds fun and it would keep people from making troll decks. 
    Well said, preventing Greg achiving objectives also would be fun.
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    I like the tribal creature objectives.  I don't like it when it picks 4 super obscure and non-thematic creature types, since I can't search for all at once when making my deck and its hard to remember which ones are which while deckbuilding.
    Also, I don't get the color of the nodes.  This is still a Ravnica set, they should all be 2 color unless you're featuring a specific story thing or character.  Since you had the same objective on each node it really didn't make sense why those particular pairs were chosen.

Overall I give this a B.  Nice idea, but really poorly done (like everything else lately it seems)
    The top node is the color of the Finale card that the event is based on. In this case it was RaW: Devastation. The top node was green, the node effect was a play on the green finale card, and the other two nodes were just two of the not-green Ravnica guilds. I expect this trend to continue for the next 4 versions of this event.

Overall, I didn't mind the objectives too much. My biggest issue with this event was the combination of 6 hr refreshes and absolutely horrible individual placement rewards. Giving out more jewels to the entire playerbase as a whole does not make it easier for any individual player to get more jewels and thus acquire more of those locked away vanguard cards. Giving 5 jewels to top 5 and 2 jewels to top 250 makes it a "why even bother playing this event?" scenario. We already have a lot of scenarios like that. Soon it's going to be "why even bother playing this game?".
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ZW2007- said:
    Mburn7 said:

The top node is the color of the Finale card that the event is based on. In this case it was RaW: Devastation. The top node was green, the node effect was a play on the green finale card, and the other two nodes were just two of the not-green Ravnica guilds. I expect this trend to continue for the next 4 versions of this event.

Overall, I didn't mind the objectives too much. My biggest issue with this event was the combination of 6 hr refreshes and absolutely horrible individual placement rewards. Giving out more jewels to the entire playerbase as a whole does not make it easier for any individual player to get more jewels and thus acquire more of those locked away vanguard cards. Giving 5 jewels to top 5 and 2 jewels to top 250 makes it a "why even bother playing this event?" scenario. We already have a lot of scenarios like that. Soon it's going to be "why even bother playing this game?".
    Ah.  Makes sense.  Didn't realize that there is going to be 5 different versions of this event.

And yeah, the rewards are terrible.  I got 2 jewels.  2!  That is about as useless as you could get.
  • wereotter
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    ZW2007- said:
    Mburn7 said:

Ah.  Makes sense.  Didn't realize that there is going to be 5 different versions of this event.

And yeah, the rewards are terrible.  I got 2 jewels.  2!  That is about as useless as you could get.
    Better than me.... my ranking reward got me 1 jewel. I’m super annoyed now since my jewel total isn’t a number ending in 0/5 and now will be 1 off of a nice, round number. 
  • ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wereotter said:
    Mburn7 said:
    ZW2007- said:
    Mburn7 said:

Better than me.... my ranking reward got me 1 jewel. I’m super annoyed now since my jewel total isn’t a number ending in 0/5 and now will be 1 off of a nice, round number. 
    I've been sitting on an ending of 2 or 7 for almost an eternity. When they did the holiday stuff i think RT was giving 18 jewels instead of 20, something like that. It killed me for a while but now I'm used to it. Figures I ended up getting top 5 for 5 jewels, the one time I really didn't care how I ranked.
  • Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Partner cards for the green node objective while green dominate Profilerate instead...
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I liked the event and enjoyed even more the return to a less broken meta. This event reminded me of how I played when I started. 

It was slower paced experience compared to the first to combo race we are used to in current standard and legacy formats.
  • wereotter
    Options
    Dropspot said:
    I liked the event and enjoyed even more the return to a less broken meta. This event reminded me of how I played when I started. 

It was slower paced experience compared to the first to combo race we are used to in current standard and legacy formats.
    It was a double edged sword... if your opponent got a good cascade, like happened to me... then you have just lost the match. The lack of good gem conversion is really standing out at this point.

I still think the basic lands should be added as supports in the Origins set so that they're always legal and makes sure every deck always has at least one good support for mana (obviously this would depend on how they create those lands)