WAR Blog Post: Vanguard Supports (6/18/19)

2»

Comments

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    300 pink gave me a duplicate.  Avoiding till the fix it. 
  • IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    The good:
    Vanguard are a new strategic aspect of the game. I like that.

The bad:
    Vangard are you only available via mana jewels (except the tutorial cards) and they come in dupe packs.

The ugly:
    I only played tutorial matches with the new set, but the AI took really long for "thinking" with a vangard card on board. I hope that didn't cummulate with Vangard heavy decks.
    And yea vanguard gamplay steal a lot more of time, because you have to interact so much more. I think for daily business I will use non-vangard decks.

• IM_CARLOS
    IM_CARLOS Posts: 640 Critical Contributor
    The finals aren't for cash. They come with regular booster. But you are right: they are powerful.

With vanguard card's I disagree. Vangard heavy decks can make an impact. Synergy is the key. 
    Think of Karn with his Ult. that bring back support (didn't test with vangard yet). 
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    starfall said:
    Much as I like the general design, none of them really look very GOOD. Even the better ones look like sideboard cards for when you know exactly what deck you're going up against; only good against niche PvE decks. Creatures they put into play are too small and they all cost too much mana.

Kaya is decent, I suppose.

The Finales are good cards, aren't they? I suppose they're being sold for cash. Why didn't they push the power levels of a few Vanguards the way they did with the Finales?
    I dont have a whole lot of the new cards as I only had 1000 pinks but some of the ones I did get are really quite powerful. I am really liking saheeli and i cant remember its name but the one that prevents your opponent from drawing more than one card a turn is really really good with days undoing. 
  • DumasAG
    DumasAG Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I would like to know why, specifically, the vanguard cards were made exclusive and locked behind mana jewel packs that give dupes. These cards are the focus of the set, all of the pro/anti vanguard cards care about vanguard supports. All of the partner cards care about vanguard supports. Without vanguards being played regularly, this set literally makes no sense. So I want to know the specific reason behind making these exclusive and locking them away. 

I think I know the reason, but I want to hear it from The Man.
  • Dropspot
    Dropspot Posts: 200 Tile Toppler
    I bought 1 vanguard. Pulled teferi. Was happy. Decided to go for another. Pulled teferi. Was completely angry. Not buying vanguards anymore.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bil said:
    starfall said:
    Much as I like the general design, none of them really look very GOOD. Even the better ones look like sideboard cards for when you know exactly what deck you're going up against; only good against niche PvE decks. Creatures they put into play are too small and they all cost too much mana.

Kaya is decent, I suppose.

The Finales are good cards, aren't they? I suppose they're being sold for cash. Why didn't they push the power levels of a few Vanguards the way they did with the Finales?

Some of them are pretty strong actually.

Tamiyo is very versatile and fits in any deck : anti discard, fetch and free casts on a single support ... I just wish i had pulled her instead of Chandra, flame of uselessness.

I dunno. Once you get her there, draw 6 cards, deal 14 damage to your opponent is a pretty powerful effect for a red deck. 
  • morgue427
    morgue427 Posts: 783 Critical Contributor
    welcome to pay to win, even if you dont have to "pay to win", if you want any but the vanguard started pack. The vangaurd for n00bs if you will then you have to pay, smacks alot of "your first sample is free rest will cost you" to me
  • rafalele
    rafalele Posts: 876 Critical Contributor
    Also, as mythics/rares vanguard supports are not in War boosters we have a lower rate than usual of getting mythics/rares of the new set in them.