The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 3,392 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm thinking right now that I'll go back to Classic with my CP, and just sit on LTs for a season. I'm curious what that will look like for fleshing out some of my older 5s.
    I spent a few pulls in classic, felt dirty every time I did it, and got nothing but 4*s for my trouble. I spent 2 LTs into Latest, got a second Rescue for my trouble, and felt like "i don't know..."

So I think now I'm really going to try and save up till Hela is just about to leave, and let Danver5 go. I really want Hela, but I don't know how likely it is with the spread I have (4/0/2).
    Decided to pull a few more times out of classic. pulled a purple Thano5 (5/1/2) with a bonus blue JJ (4/3/4). I need a lottery ticket now lol
    The saving continues. I've got 3 LTs and just under 100cp in the bank. I've also been saving HP so that I can get at least a 10-pack if Stars and Strikes or whatever Shuri's pvp is called comes back around again. I'm kind of expecting S&S to show up on the 4th of July, I doubt I'll be in 40-pack territory for that though.

It's been interesting doing PVP with dual-champ 5*s. In many ways it's better than before - I see more variety in teams if you can believe that, since there are more dual-5* teams and less Gritty teams. I can take Thorkoyes when I'm attacking more easily than I can take on Gritty teams. Depending on the required character status on my end, my float point is back up in the low-500s now rather than the high 300s too. Of course, the first PVP I had come up was Iceman, and I don't have him champed, so that was a bit painful. But i have a 280s Wiccan, and that worked out pretty well. I think Mystique probably goes pretty well between Doom and GRRR or even my 405 JJ, since she is also an AP morass on off-colors from Doom.
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,380 Chairperson of the Boards
    The saving continues. I've got 3 LTs and just under 100cp in the bank. I've also been saving HP so that I can get at least a 10-pack if Stars and Strikes or whatever Shuri's pvp is called comes back around again. I'm kind of expecting S&S to show up on the 4th of July, I doubt I'll be in 40-pack territory for that though.
    Stars and Strikes is Chavez, not Shuri. IIRC, they've run Peggy Carter's PvP over the last couple of 4th of July slots.
    Im still 28 Chavez covers off of Jessica Jones, I’d like those first
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,380 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, it just sounded like you were referring to S&S as Shuri's PvP. I can see now how I misread it, tho. Still feels more likely we'll get Peggy to me.
    Oh yeah, I can see that read now also. I was just meaning that a 40 pack in either of those stores would align with my goals. I don’t know that we'll see either event run any time soon though, since we just had both
  • DAZ0273DAZ0273 Posts: 3,373 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 19 June 2019, 09:56
    The "we will be running more 4* PvP" seems to be entirely tied into "events" now, so I wouldn't hold my breath for Shuri any time soon.
    It's no big deal. It'll take me ages playing to progression to get up to the 16k hp i need anyway. The reason i want it to be one of those 2 is so that there is a higher organic draw chance on them in addition to the better bonus hero odds from the big packs.

Any Featured Feeder would be fine I suppose, though of course there are a few I'd prefer. I have a few desirable 4*s within 5-7 covers of 300 (g4mora, mordo, vulture, medusa), so any of their events will do as well. I might be able to scrape up the last 700hp i need for a 10-pack out of Scrapper 142 before it closes, but i feel like the 10 pack may be a trap compared to the 40.
    Well Vulture sounds like a decent possibility for a Far From Home featured PvP (figure they will only squeeze one 4* out of that release and so we will get some affiliated PvP stuff) judging on the Cap Marvel and Endgame stuff.
    I'm not actively chasing SM:PP since he has a pretty dismal 1/0/2 build, but Vulture is objectively great and worth adding levels to. I'd definitely consider it if it comes up. I do like Spider-Man though; he is definitely on the better end of not-meta.

I've been trying to figure out what a good anti-gritty team is at this point now that my dual-5* MMR is making it nearly impossible to get above 1900pts. I'm really considering dumping the iso into Lumbercap. For now, I like Main Event/Vulture/Invisible Woman. Invisible Woman can lock down all Kitty's nonsense as well as clear it out on green. Ideally main event hulk can wreck a few on entry to the fight, and you can get Vulture moving quickly to fuel IW.

I'm not actively chasing SM:PP since he has a pretty dismal 1/0/2 build, but Vulture is objectively great and worth adding levels to. I'd definitely consider it if it comes up. I do like Spider-Man though; he is definitely on the better end of not-meta.

I've been trying to figure out what a good anti-gritty team is at this point now that my dual-5* MMR is making it nearly impossible to get above 1900pts. I'm really considering dumping the iso into Lumbercap. For now, I like Main Event/Vulture/Invisible Woman. Invisible Woman can lock down all Kitty's nonsense as well as clear it out on green. Ideally main event hulk can wreck a few on entry to the fight, and you can get Vulture moving quickly to fuel IW.

I use Bishop/Xpool/Riri but don't come up against as high level Gritty,'s as you do - the beauty is you can stun and send airborne for a breather. I sometimes sub in Thor to use Green and yellow.
    I ended up throwing 3300hp at the Infinite Pursuit store 10-pack, got all 2s and 3s lol. But then one of the individual progression tokens in Shield Training landed me a Gwenpool and bonus Chavez, so that's good. 
    The savings continue. i've been dumping iso into my 2/4/4 Lumbercap to see if the Suicide King team of Doom/Cap can handle Gritty for me. The jury is out, but I still need another 150k to get him to 405. 

Currently I have 6 TLs and 318 cp, the most cp I've ever had at one time. That DareDevil costume is really calling my name, but I would really prefer it came with a non-yellow color I could use on my 6/1/1. I am currently planning to continue sitting on resources (unless I feel impulsive) at least until 5torm lands in Latest, if not all the way until the next 5* gets announced (presumably Mysterio for Homecoming in a couple weeks). 
    I saw that 5torm was already in latest, so I pulled until I got one. 4 LTs, first was a red Rescue (1/0/2), 4th was a yellow 5torm. So now I'm back to saving up until Hela is about to leave so I can see who is up next, or have a look at the novelty classic store they'll probably put up to tempt me.
    I have Lumbercap up to lvl 398, and Suicide Kings does NOT work against Gritty teams featuring Bishop lol. I need to find somebody to put in between them, I'm not sure who. I can't tell if it's a strategy thing (trying to chase the strikes or trying to leave the strikes but keeping doom in front), a team composition thing (who is the third), or something else.
    As of this morning, Lumbercap is bought up to 405, so I'll do a little more experimenting with Suicide Kings. One thing I wasn't doing was going in to that first match with a killable Doom, which would put me in a situation where there were far too many opportunities for Lumbercap to get out front and eat strike damage and die before Doom did. 

I didn't mention it here, but I ran through all that cp/lt stash to work on Hela before she leaves latest. I'm currently on a streak so hot, I'm expecting one of those 100+ cold streaks on the back end everybody cries about before they quit lol. In my last 25 draws, I've pulled 7:25, 28%. I also landed a bonus Chavez in that run, so she is up to 325. Rogue hit 300 today, I've never had her set as a bonus, so she is just organically (and inexplicably) my highest leveled 4* after Chavez. I did get another Hela this morning also, but still no greens.

Current Latest crop:
    Danver5: (6/1/3) - out

Hela: (4/0/3)
    Rescue: (3/0/3)
    5torm: (1/0/1)
    edited 27 June 2019, 12:27
    Landed another yellow 5torm (1/0/2) from today's crash token... this pull rate is truly astronomical and worrying lol. I'm 8/26, 30.77% this week.
    edited 6 July 2019, 20:35
    Inexplicable hot streak remains scalding hot. Hela is up to 5/0/4 now; sure would like some greens. 5torm is 1/1/2, and Rescue remains at 3/0/3.