My 5* single champ "Season" experience. Was it worth it?

2»

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    You definitely need at least a functional force-multiplier of some kind to have fun in PVP with 5* MMR. I'd say that as often as not, my 5/4/1 Okoye + a passive damager like Chavez or Medusa is my go-to in PVP over Gho5t Rider since he hardly benefits from Wakanda Forever. If you're not going to have somebody that compounds damage, you need somebody with a true heal like DD5, OML (less so nowadays), or GE Doom who is so far for me doing pretty well in that regard at lvl 426 5/3/5.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    God Emperor Doom is the only 5-star I've completed while he was still in Latest, and while he may not be top tier like Okoye or Thor, he still greatly impressed me, especially when he was the boosted 5E. Of course boosted 5-star Champions always make a mess of their opponents, but a Champion Doom should not be underestimated.

You're still going to get hit, a lot, with Doom and Ghost Rider as your sole 5-star Champions, but I get hit a lot running my ThorKoye team, while I hit a lot of Kitty+R4G teams. Until recently, the only teams I was steering away from were Gritty+Bishop teams, but ThorKoye with Sabertooth can take them down somewhat reliably.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    The recent store with Kitty, Strange and Jessica got me the last 2 purple I needed to get Kitty to 13 covers. Threads like this one made me consider champing her, and that she was the wrong build was another factor. So I did.

I haven't regretted it at all. I can clear ScL 9 in 45 min, including the 5-star node. And with a favorable match up (i.e. not the Royal family or the tougher ones in the current Marvel even), I can even do 5-6-7 on that. The rest of them are a breeze, either 3-Thanos or Medusa depending on my health pack status. I might think about trying SCL 8 for placement though, I am comfortably top 50 but not quite top 20 unless I wait for a late flip.

For PvP, I did worry it might be hard.  I have 5 or 6 level 360 5s (those had not hurt my mmr), and now I am seeing champed 5 teams but usually just 1, or even still double boosted 4s. I can beat those teams and I avoid the most troublesome, but the other Gritty teams I have had a lot of success with Kitty/Valkyrie, their hits generate strikes so in the purple repeater battle I win. I had hit 1200 for the first time just before I champed her (thanks in large part to my new alliance mates and the Line war room), but I have made 1200 in each event since as well.

Now I am a little nervous what a second champ will do. But the first was fine.
  • JSP869
    edited June 2019
    @St_Bernadus I had a lot of fun with just Okoye as my single 5* Champion. Like you, I was only ever seeing other single 5* Champion teams, or double boosted 4* teams. I actually steered away from the 4-star teams because unlike a Champion 5*, a boosted 4-star's match damage does not trigger XPool's X-Enforcer passive. edit Then I championed Jessica but wasn't using her because in my experience XPool worked a lot better with Okoye. But now I was facing dual Champion 5-star teams, and that actually made PvP more difficult. Sure, X-Enforcer still worked, but facing two 5-star Champions means more opportunity for things to go wrong for you.

Unless your second 5-star compliments Kitty perfectly, I'd be reluctant to Champion a second 5-star. If you do, you'll start to face dual 5-star Champion teams a lot more often, but you'll still only be using Kitty+R4G or Kitty+Valkyrie. Trust me, a second 5-star Champion WILL significantly impact your PvP experience.

I'd actually be inclined to wait until you can Champion another two 5-stars that play well together, such as Okoye & Thor, Thanos & Black Panther, or Jessica & Daredevil.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I’m surprised to hear that JJ doesn’t work that well with Okoye. Seems like they would...
  • JSP869
    Jessica and Okoye do work okay together, it's just not they were not as quick as XPool, in my experience.
    When you're shield hopping you want fast wins, and that meant I needed to use Okoye & XPool.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I can see that. XFDP vs a 5* team would be pretty fast for sure. The problem I find with JJ tends to be finding her traps. They’re great when you catch them, but it’s a little hide and seek until you have the blue.
  • JSP869
    Another problem is Jessica tanks both Blue and Red, and if Okoye is not tanking she starts to get peckish and snack on your Team-Up AP. Not good.

Also my Jessica is 3 levels below Okoye, and yet she's almost tanking Purple as well. The last thing I want is for Jessica to tank three (or more) colors over Okoye.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Match damage creep is real. Doom Tanks most of the board at 450 for me, leaving just Green and Red for GRRR at 452. If I put Okoye in that mix (405) she really only tanks team up.

OP, this is all useful right? lol