Has anyone been able to make Jace, Cunning Castaway worthwhile?

Jace, Unraveler of Secrets is already a powerhouse on it's own. And with Tezzeret, Artifice Master seems to be on the same league as Jace 2 in mono-blue; coming next week.

I can't seem to find a reason to get him. To have a deck that buffs or helps with the abilities of this PW compared to the others.

I would have placed this Jace above Support Tezz but, found that he synergizes very well with Treasures.

Comments

• Magagumo
    Magagumo Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    I use Jace CC as my pureblue PW and like him a lot.. especially with the potential abuse of 1000-year storm, beacon bolt, and new GRN discard/draw cards (Discover/Dispersal, Unmoored Ego), which require a lot of deck space, his bringing in tokens on both 2nd and 3rd ability has been handy.  Plus, his 1st ability is useful for discarding spells into the graveyard for Beacon Bolt or ranking up huge draws to slow your opp down with Psychic Corrosion.
  • Tengu316
    Tengu316 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    Not to resurrect a thread but any luck? I want to make him work, I really really do, but every time I get him there I realize it's much simpler to use Ral. :neutral:

I did make him a token guy, basically creating fish sticks to get merfolk out and make use of his 2nd and 3rd, and it did work okayish, but then I got Thopter Spy Network and that was the end of that and I went the thopter route instead. But white has more token support, so...

I'm looking for ideas. :wink:
  • Snappyturtle
    Snappyturtle Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    I couldn't figure it out myself. I just turned him into a generic blue deck with berserk because the tokens usually stack quick to the point that damage becomes irrelevant on them.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you can get the card, Mesmerizing Benthid has good synergy with Jace sine Jace can make your illusions hexproof and the octopus has hexproof if you have an illusion.

But for me, my deck is an Ixalan merfolk deck. You don't actually need green to play that tribe well, and he has solid mana gains across the board, makes him a bit more agressive than other blue walkers.
  • Quantius
    Quantius Posts: 228 Tile Toppler
    Dunno if you're looking for something standard friendly, but I recently made this:

1 creature 1 support 8 spells

Murmuring Mystic (creates a bird illusion when you cast a spell)
    Teferi, Time Raveler
    Incubation/Incongruity
    Negate
    Discovery/Dispersal
    Talent of the Telepath
    Precognitive Perception
    Connive/Concoct
    Warrant/Warden
    Beacon Bolt

You get your mystic down and just cast spells to bounce and draw, pop 2nd ability for the hexproof illusions, and the bird stack will just keep growing and you can close out with some beacon bolts.