Should I Roster every single 3* (+ duplicates?)

Hello,

I know that the common 3* Farm now is to roster every 3*, champion them and then get them to full-champ, then roster a duplicate to begin championing before you sell the MaxChamp copy. My question is, when should one start this process? My Roster is still what I would describe as "budding". I have a championed Hulkbuster as my only completed 4Star - my next is XForceVerine with max covers, but level 170. I have 68 Roster Slots, currently rostering every 3* except for DocOck, Elektra, Gambit, Hawkeye, Psylocke, Quicksilver, Ragnarok, Sam Wilson, Spiderman, Star Lord and Storm. I can currently regularly earn 4* heroes from progression, which leads me to a problem - I can't drum up enough HP to pay for my PVP Shields AND the Roster Slots I'd need to roster all these 3* heroes PLUS duplicates PLUS the rewards for my budding 4* list. I'm guessing that this duplicate farming strategy is more for the players that have hit the point where this is one of the only things they'd be spending HP on, and don't have to worry about 4* Roster Slots? I'd love advice from one of my superiors.

Thanks,

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 3,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Until you have 1 of everyone on roster, I'd have a hard time keeping dupes going. Do you have 3s anywhere near hitting max-champ yet? I'd be surprised if you did given the general sound of that roster.
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,322 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, don't worry about dupes unless you've got max champs. Before that point, they'll just slow your roster development down. Get one of everyone on board first. I'm not much of a PvP player, so I don't even bother with most of them* now that I am hitting maxed 3s. I just wait until I can champ the dupe and then sell off the original.
    *Thanos and Strange are the two biggest exceptions. It is well worth keeping them around at max champ level.
    Once you get a champ 5, or a few high enough leveled 5s that you are routinely being served up to 5* players, you'll want to keep max-champ 3*s on roster. Until then, you'll generally want just a champ.
    Yeah. I don't care because I just do one climb to 575 and then shield out, but if you're going any higher than that, it makes a big difference.
    edited 3 June 2019, 19:39
    You can typically climb with a baby champ, but you won't be able to hang on to points in my experience. I really miss the days of floating at 650pts unshielded as a 4* player lol. though I am floating at ~600 in this Stars and Strikes pvp having spent the last 5 months bonusing Chavez to 319...
    Yep, not arguing with that at all. If I don't shield, I end up getting smacked back down to like 200 or something. It's not so much that there isn't a downside, it's that the downside is something that I don't care about. For someone who actually cares about PvP, keeping max champs is far more important.
  • DAZ0273DAZ0273 Posts: 3,243 Chairperson of the Boards
    I sold my max champ Thor when they ran his PvP never imaging that it would run again so soon for Endgame. The two experiences in relative short time to each other showed me the value of having max champed 3s if like me you like to PvP.
    And just to add to the above from Warrior and Alexis, farming 3* is a decision that you can't really make until you get a few and understand the amount of work involved in getting there. By that point you will have experienced the flow of champ rewards that come from 3s and 4s and it is an entirely different game.

On another note - dude, roster Falcon, Storm and Hawkeye! Those are some good 3*!
  • IIAlonditeIIIIAlonditeII Posts: 73 Match Maker
    So, is it worth rostering every 3* (including the less desirable ones, like Doctor Ocotopus) at the cost of the 4 Star Covers I earn? Or are the 4* covers more pertinent?
    yes, roster then champ everyone, at every tier.
    So, is it worth rostering every 3* (including the less desirable ones, like Doctor Ocotopus) at the cost of the 4 Star Covers I earn? Or are the 4* covers more pertinent?
    I'm not saying this is for everybody but what I did was champ the 3* tier in two stages. The first stage consisted of the meta characters I felt I needed (Strange, IM40 etc) together with those who otherwise had something useful to bring such as Patch. I then have around a 20 cover difference to the second tier which I champed one by one by using Bonus Heroes. The reason for this was so I would have a spread of Champion rewards even after my characters were max-champed. That way even if I started on new 3* champs I still had another wave producing higher end rewards whilst the first bunch recycled.

It actually didn't take that long to champ the D Listers mostly from scratch (Doc Ock was one of the last!) thanks to Elites and BH.

However, whilst I wouldn't recommend skipping the 3* tier champing wise, I can understand the desire to chase 4* but those 3* champ rewards will come in handy when you champing your 4's.
    edited 4 June 2019, 12:22
    You can roster 3*s between the 4* release schedule as well; no need to champ them all before you move up, but you want them on roster for node access. It sounds like you're playing largely the way I played, which was to not quite skip the 3* tier, but to try and fully roster the 4* tier as soon as I could and then work backwards on building a farm. I did that so pulling as I go wouldn't result in as much wasted covers (this was way before saved covers went live), and what I did was sell off all my un-used 3* characters that were in the low 200s to make room for 4* and 5* covers I would land from Classic Legends. I'd keep a flex slot where I'd cycle through the required 2* and 3* characters per-event, just rostering a cover at a time from my vine. Then as I had the requisite hp, i'd add a slot and just leave whoever was last rostered. Sometimes during alliance events, I'd roster, sell, and roster again the same character across rounds. You just never clear out your vine when you play that way, and it can be done. Having told you how i did it, I don't recommend it as the truly strong long-term plan. You will be way better off establishing your roster tier-on-tier since the champ rewards from the lower levels are what allow you to grow the upper levels. 
    You can roster 3*s between the 4* release schedule as well; no need to champ them all before you move up, but you want them on roster for node access. It sounds like you're playing largely the way I played, which was to not quite skip the 3* tier, but to try and fully roster the 4* tier as soon as I could and then work backwards on building a farm. I did that so pulling as I go wouldn't result in as much wasted covers (this was way before saved covers went live), and what I did was sell off all my un-used 3* characters that were in the low 200s to make room for 4* and 5* covers I would land from Classic Legends. I'd keep a flex slot where I'd cycle through the required 2* and 3* characters per-event, just rostering a cover at a time from my vine. Then as I had the requisite hp, i'd add a slot and just leave whoever was last rostered. Sometimes during alliance events, I'd roster, sell, and roster again the same character across rounds. You just never clear out your vine when you play that way, and it can be done. Having told you how i did it, I don't recommend it as the truly strong long-term plan. You will be way better off establishing your roster tier-on-tier since the champ rewards from the lower levels are what allow you to grow the upper levels. 
    Yes, that is actually exactly what I was doing (when I had left the game a couple of years ago, it seemed like the best course of action for a free-to-play player). Thank you for the advice.
    You have a little more room to make choices on pull strategy once you have every 2*+ on roster, but you will be seeing HP incoming more regularly for adding slots if you have easy-to-acquire covers adding value regularly. So it's going to feel like a step back, or a plateau for a bit as you roster all the 2s, then 3s, then work on 4s, and in some sense it kind of will be, but once the beast is being effectively fed, you can keep up with the treadmill pace. If you try and get ahead of it, you'll realize that you're actually behind the curve against other players if you care about placement at all. 
    I have added my roster to my signature now, for reference
    You can safely dump 1* widow, she's not required ever for anything, and you can solo with Juggernaut in DDQ with no trouble if you're feeling roster slot pressue.

I just updated my roster as well (down to 3*, my 2* group moves too fast) having been inspired by your post there.
    I have Widow to give clanmates for team ups, should I still dump her?
    Oh, in that case probably not. My alliance doesn't ask for team ups specifically, so i often forget people do that. I've seen rosters with 4-5 1* widows just for that purpose.
    You can safely dump 1* widow, she's not required ever for anything, and you can solo with Juggernaut in DDQ with no trouble if you're feeling roster slot pressue.

I just updated my roster as well (down to 3*, my 2* group moves too fast) having been inspired by your post there.
    I keep meaning to update my roster with my 3* dupes but never seem to get the time. I should probably do that and then finally add it to my sig.

Sorry: Back to thread topic - I know it is pretty Old Skool for the 1* Widow stun team-up roster slot but there are enough decent characters with cheap stuns that I also have never really bothered with having one and nobody ever requests one.
    Well, I have no rostered every single 3* hero. 

Highest Level: 194
    Total Champs: 26
    Lowest Level: 40 (4 Way Tie)
    Total # Missing Covers for 13 Cover: 12