All-New Cos-June Collection! *Updated (7/2/19)

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was referring to Cable's costume. :/ That's why I was referencing top 10 placement.  Magneto's costume is available via progression reward. I shall see whether more 5* players are dropping down to lower SCL later when the event starts.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was referring to Cable's costume. :/ That's why I was referencing top 10 placement.  Magneto's costume is available via progression reward. I shall see whether more 5* players are dropping down to lower SCL later when the event starts.
    What's low to you?  Most 5* players and all of the comp players who can actually place T10 or better already space themselves out through scl9-7.  and none of those players can  play in scl6.  

But truthfully what slice do you play in?  because even in scl7.  There are plenty of rosters with 10+ 5* champs, who have already disperse through scl7.  

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    I understand that many vets here don't like costume because it does nothing for them and the idea of having to place in top 10 instead of putting Cable's costume in progression rewards kind of irks them. However, it doesn't mean that all 5* players in MPQ don't want to have a better shot at getting Cable's costume...  :)
  • Phumade
    I understand that many vets here don't like costume because it does nothing for them and the idea of having to place in top 10 instead of putting Cable's costume in progression rewards kind of irks them. However, it doesn't mean that all 5* players in MPQ don't want to have a better shot at getting Cable's costume...  :)
    It won't matter how much they want or don't want that cover.  There already more competitive  5* rosters (10+ 5* over 460) than placements slots in SCL 9-7.  People already disperse to improve there chances of T5/T10 just to get the 4* placement reward.   If your playing in SCL7+ bracket and it isn't dominated by comp tier player than please share the bracket number.  specifically what time you join, so other players can prejoin, mid join, or late join into that bracket.

• maguirenumber6
    maguirenumber6 Posts: 457 Mover and Shaker
    I'm just pleased there is finally a costume available from PvE progression, as there should have been from the beginning. Monkneto will be my first ever MPQ costume. I'm nowhere near T10, so the Cable costume isn't on my radar. It doesn't make much difference to me personally, since I don't have many covers for him and only use him when he's the 5* essential. The main thing is that costumes are now earnable. As I said in my previous post, this is a positive development and should be applauded.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,570 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    jamesh said:
    I was thinking if 5* players will drop down to lower SCL just to get the costume. So, there's a possibility I might get boot out of top 10.

My 4* champs can't be faster than Gritty, 5* Thanos, Thorkoye.  :'(

Do you really think a 5* player is going to drop down a SL to get a 3* costume that they don’t care about?   LOL.  Man you must really over value costumes to the rest of the 5* players.   
    The 3* costume is a progression reward.  The top 10 placement reward is the costume for Cable, which is probably more interesting to players who actually have him covered (i.e. 5* players).  It might not appeal to everyone, but I suspect some will be chasing it.
    I'm more amazed that out there somewhere is a SCL7-9 PVE bracket that ISN'T filled with 5* players in the Top 10! I dunno how HoundofShadow found it but good luck to him if he can stay in the Top 10 on a regular basis without even a Gritty.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phumade said:
    What's low to you?  Most 5* players and all of the comp players who can actually place T10 or better already space themselves out through scl9-7.  and none of those players can  play in scl6. 
    That's only for PvP. For PvE, we can drop down as low as we want to. But the reward dropoff from 7 to 6 is pretty huge, so I don't think many people do that unless they're going for a semi-vacation.
  • DAZ0273
    Phumade said:
    That's only for PvP. For PvE, we can drop down as low as we want to. But the reward dropoff from 7 to 6 is pretty huge, so I don't think many people do that unless they're going for a semi-vacation.
    Like for a Cable costume... ;)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Y'all know I love me some Liefeld Cable, but I love that CP in progression a little more...

I haven't gone back through the thread, but is there a reason that the Cable costume doesn't show up in-game on the placement rewards?
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    OJSP said:
    I haven't gone back through the thread, but is there a reason that the Cable costume doesn't show up in-game on the placement rewards?
    No space? It says there in yellow: "Cable (X-Force) costume"
    Yeah no picture but ranks 1-10 have it writing that it is a reward. I'm in scl 9.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah, yeah, i see the yellow text now on the preview. 
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Free stuff for doing what i am already doing? yes pls, and thanks!
  • DAZ0273
    edited June 2019
    Having thought about this more I am scratching my head a bit as to why the Cable costumes are available at such low SCL. You need Cable to make any use of it but if you have Cable then why are you playing SCL4? Oh right...it's to get the Cable costume if you feel like slumming it! Meanwhile those SCL4 players who probably have zero use for it are now getting annoyed that their top places are getting filled up with ridiculously OP roster players...even 4* players or guys with a barely functioning Gritty...

Why not have made both progression? 3* Mags for all and Cable for SCL7 and above?

Oh well. First world MPQ problems.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    Having thought about this more I am scratching my head a bit as to why the Cable costumes are available at such low SCL. You need Cable to make any use of it but if you have Cable then why are you playing SCL4? Oh right...it's to get the Cable costume if you feel like slumming it! Meanwhile those SCL4 players who probably have zero use for it are now getting annoyed that their top places are getting filled up with ridiculously OP roster players...even 4* players or guys with a barely functioning Gritty...

Why not have made both progression? 3* Mags for all and Cable for SCL7 and above?

Oh well. First world MPQ problems.
    I would imagine that one of the reasons is to test the utility of devices like this to induce players to reallocate themselves among different SC strata. This opens up placement opportunities for many more players — kind of like a board-shake for players. Seeing what happens here might provoke other tests, like breaking up each slice and into multiple sub-slices (based on time-zone, roster-scoring algorithms, or whatever other criteria deemed useful). 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    Getting a progression Costume is crazy stupid awesome. That's what "earnable" means, and it's awesome that it's finally happening after that was part of the original pitch to us.

Having a Costume in placement... Like, technically it's earnable, but if it's top 10 only, it's really only "earnable" for the people who already get top placement. The same people who always get top placement because they have better rosters and/or more free time to play optimally will get it, and for the vast majority of people, it's not "earnable" at all. The number of people who don't normally get top 10 that will make the effort for this is going to be negligible, you know? This is the same problem we've had with Support Tokens in the Support Circuit and PVP placements. The kind that makes people get grumpy about "the rich getting richer," you know?

So... how about something partway between here ("here" being the gamestate before this announcement) and there?

What if progression had a Costume Token? Crack a token, get a costume, better odds of lower tier costumes, higher tier costumes are rarer, etc, just like characters. Duplicates give HP (the way the costumes in VIP already do, probably not that much though), maybe based on tier (so pulling a dupe of a higher tier costume gives a more valuable reward). With enough costumes, it doesn't matter if you get one token per event, it'll still take a while to collect them all (or you could only put tokens in certain events, like not boss events, not events that have special cover rewards like Webbed Wonder). AND it would give everyone a chance at some of those covers that you charged $75 for instead of giving people a chance to earn them.

Placement still gets specific costumes, so you can fight for one you want, and if the devs feature costumes in placement, the top end players will stand a better chance of getting all of them over time. And you can still do the Ca$h bundles when a new costume comes out to let people pay to bypass the RNG. Those that want to drop $50+ on a bundle of resources with a costume can, but the costume isn't denied to the people who can't.

Then eventually you can put specific costumes or just costume tokens into special event vaults (like those 40-item vaults we do from time to time), or maybe consider extra costume tokens for placement (EXTRA), so they can be earned, or bought with in-game resources, and you've actually got something extra in the game to chase. And not a trophy for top players that feels like a waste to the rest of the playerbase (you know, like the Infinity Stones, we'll work on fixing those once the rest of Supports get sorted out, deal?)
    The problem with this is that it's the equivalent of 'participation trophies for all'. :p

I personally love the idea of T10 get another unique costume even though there is no way I'm going to finish T10 and get it (but I will be trying extra hard for one).

Don't you see, this costume (and the Infinity stones) are status symbols. They say I've won a PvP season (Infinity stone) or finished T10 in a PvE event (eventually there may be specific costumes for every PvP event). So when you see a player who has one you know what they've accomplished.

Thumbs up from me for having both a progression AND an placement costume and I hope they do more of this.

KGB
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Getting a progression Costume is crazy stupid awesome. That's what "earnable" means, and it's awesome that it's finally happening after that was part of the original pitch to us.

Having a Costume in placement... Like, technically it's earnable, but if it's top 10 only, it's really only "earnable" for the people who already get top placement. The same people who always get top placement because they have better rosters and/or more free time to play optimally will get it, and for the vast majority of people, it's not "earnable" at all. The number of people who don't normally get top 10 that will make the effort for this is going to be negligible, you know? This is the same problem we've had with Support Tokens in the Support Circuit and PVP placements. The kind that makes people get grumpy about "the rich getting richer," you know?

So... how about something partway between here ("here" being the gamestate before this announcement) and there?

What if progression had a Costume Token? Crack a token, get a costume, better odds of lower tier costumes, higher tier costumes are rarer, etc, just like characters. Duplicates give HP (the way the costumes in VIP already do, probably not that much though), maybe based on tier (so pulling a dupe of a higher tier costume gives a more valuable reward). With enough costumes, it doesn't matter if you get one token per event, it'll still take a while to collect them all (or you could only put tokens in certain events, like not boss events, not events that have special cover rewards like Webbed Wonder). AND it would give everyone a chance at some of those covers that you charged $75 for instead of giving people a chance to earn them.

Placement still gets specific costumes, so you can fight for one you want, and if the devs feature costumes in placement, the top end players will stand a better chance of getting all of them over time. And you can still do the Ca$h bundles when a new costume comes out to let people pay to bypass the RNG. Those that want to drop $50+ on a bundle of resources with a costume can, but the costume isn't denied to the people who can't.

Then eventually you can put specific costumes or just costume tokens into special event vaults (like those 40-item vaults we do from time to time), or maybe consider extra costume tokens for placement (EXTRA), so they can be earned, or bought with in-game resources, and you've actually got something extra in the game to chase. And not a trophy for top players that feels like a waste to the rest of the playerbase (you know, like the Infinity Stones, we'll work on fixing those once the rest of Supports get sorted out, deal?)
    The problem with this is that it's the equivalent of 'participation trophies for all'. :p

I personally love the idea of T10 get another unique costume even though there is no way I'm going to finish T10 and get it (but I will be trying extra hard for one).

Don't you see, this costume (and the Infinity stones) are status symbols. They say I've won a PvP season (Infinity stone) or finished T10 in a PvE event (eventually there may be specific costumes for every PvP event). So when you see a player who has one you know what they've accomplished.

Thumbs up from me for having both a progression AND an placement costume and I hope they do more of this.

KGB
    The problem is that this is a game about collecting things (mainly characters, which is broken into gathering HP, ISO, and CP, but also now Supports and Costumes), and when stuff is completely unavailable to players, there are some that react by thinking "If you can't complete the collection, why bother at all?" 

I'm not talking about giving things away as participation trophies. I'm saying that players who have champed most of the 5-star tier and have been playing for 4 or 5 years by now should at least have a chance of being able to earn these things.

The "trophy" players are still going to have their 550's, and I could see them reasonably having all the Costumes and the Infinity Stones (rank 4/5) too. You can let them have that as trophy status, and still make the basics available to the rest of the populace, so veteran players can grab their favorite Infinity Stone, or pick up a costume for their favorite 5* even if they were unable to when that costume was introduced.

We've already had people tracking slices and numbers to notice the overall population of high-end players appears to be going down. We need new shiny things to encourage people to play, and for people to chase, and methods for them to feel like they can get from the start to where players are now (specifically, being able to overcome 4* Dilution). We DON'T need things that are only trophies for the superwhales that tell the new players not to bother before they even come in the door. You can entice new people to play by telling them they can now work hard and get an Infinity Stone of their own without giving away a single one as a "participation trophy."
  • DAZ0273
    Well Dr. Strange had a new costume...if you have a spare 70 quid...
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    KGB said:

The problem is that this is a game about collecting things (mainly characters, which is broken into gathering HP, ISO, and CP, but also now Supports and Costumes), and when stuff is completely unavailable to players, there are some that react by thinking "If you can't complete the collection, why bother at all?" 

I'm not talking about giving things away as participation trophies. I'm saying that players who have champed most of the 5-star tier and have been playing for 4 or 5 years by now should at least have a chance of being able to earn these things.

The "trophy" players are still going to have their 550's, and I could see them reasonably having all the Costumes and the Infinity Stones (rank 4/5) too. You can let them have that as trophy status, and still make the basics available to the rest of the populace, so veteran players can grab their favorite Infinity Stone, or pick up a costume for their favorite 5* even if they were unable to when that costume was introduced.

We've already had people tracking slices and numbers to notice the overall population of high-end players appears to be going down. We need new shiny things to encourage people to play, and for people to chase, and methods for them to feel like they can get from the start to where players are now (specifically, being able to overcome 4* Dilution). We DON'T need things that are only trophies for the superwhales that tell the new players not to bother before they even come in the door. You can entice new people to play by telling them they can now work hard and get an Infinity Stone of their own without giving away a single one as a "participation trophy."
    But it's 99.999% likely players will never complete the costume collection now since many were 1 time only (presumably) so if you didn't get them then, you'll never get them.

Also, if high end participation is dropping doesn't that make it more likely that you/me/others will get these costumes in the future as the T10 in PvE rotates out the players who retire/quit?

What we don't know is if this Cable costume is a 1 time only (fathers day) reward or if it's going to be a regular PvE T10 reward. It makes a big difference. If it's going to be a regular T10 reward then over time you will get one if you work hard/try for it since I know that I do on occasion manage to get into a slacker bracket in CL7 and nab a T10 finish (esp in 7 day events that many don't like to play in).

I'm more than fine with some being $ only, some being VIP renewal only, some being limited vaults, some being progression rewards and some being placement rewards.  They could eventually offer even more ways to get them (1000/2000 etc days played, 100/200 rostered characters etc). I don't expect to get them all any more than I expect to hit every achievement in games like Skyrim/DragonAge etc.

KGB

P.S. Today they are selling yet another new costume for $75 (plus associated goodies). It seems players have either responded to prior buy offers or requested more costumes in their surveys.

• Phumade
    Whoever is in charge of the pop up messages, Needs to do a better job of scheduling the pop up. I saw my messages for the costumes and survey appear right in the middle of pve start.

i getit people play all over the world at different times.  But can these messages be schedule for 90m after a pve start tim to avoid impact the largest number of players
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ah there it is, the 75 dollar costume. 

Easy come easy go for the earnable ones I guess lol