All-New Cos-June Collection! *Updated (7/2/19)

Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
edited July 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
Hi Everyone,

This June, not only are we bringing out the Dad jokes, but a whole plethora of new Costumes for your characters to don for the summer too! In addition, we're also introducing a few new ways for players to earn Costumes, such as adding them as rewards for both Story Events and Versus Tournaments!

Keep your eyes on the details below, as we'll be updating it with more info as we get closer to each Costume reveal!

Week 1

Monday 6/3

Magneto (Grand Inquisitor) Costume
  • Progression Reward in The Hunt
  • Earned by reaching the 7,000 Event Points threshold (S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance 3 or higher)
Cable (X-Force) Costume
  • Placement Reward in The Hunt
  • Earned by reaching Rank 10 or higher (S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance 3 or higher)

Tuesday 6/4

Wrestling Demons - Limited Legendary Store
  • Starts: 6/4/19 12pm ET
  • Ends: 6/7/19 12pm ET
  • 15% chance to get Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme), Jessica Jones, or Kitty Pryde
  • Additional pulls cost 25 Command Points
Doctor Strange (Defenders) Costume
Does not include Doctor Strange (Sorcerer Supreme)
  • Starts: 6/4/19 12pm ET
  • Ends: 6/7/19 12pm ET
  • Cost: $74.99 USD (converted to your region's currency and/or platform)
  • Contents:
    • 10,000 Hero Points
    • 5 Command Points for you and your alliance!
    • Doctor Strange (Defenders) Costume
    • 5x Wrestling Demons Tokens

Friday 6/7

Cyclops (Apocalypse) Costume
Maybe he's born with it. Maybe it's Apocalypse
  • Log into the game anytime between the following date and times to receive the Cyclops (Apocalypse) costume for 3-Star Cyclops (Uncanny X-Men)
  • Start: 6/7/19 12pm ET
  • End: 6/14/19 12pm ET

Saturday 6/8

Shuri (Wawa Aba) Costume
She's SHURI-ly having a BLAST in her casual outfit

• Starts: 6/8/19 12pm ET
  • Ends: 6/11/19 12pm ET
  • Costs: 2,750 Hero Points
  • Content:
    • 3x Covers of Shuri (Master Engineer) [1 of each ability]
    • 1x Shuri (Wawa Aba) Costume
    • 3x Heroic Tokens

Week 2

Thursday 6/13

Daredevil (Vigilante) Costume
  • Starts: 6/13/19 12pm ET
  • Ends: 6/26/19 12pm ET
  • Costs: 300 Command Points
  • Equips to Daredevil (Matt Murdock)
  • Content:
    • 1x Cover of 5-Star Daredevil (Matt Murdock)
    • 1x Daredevil (Vigilante) Costume
    • 70,000 Iso-8
Rocket & Groot (Classic) Costume
  • Equips to 4-Star Rocket & Groot (Awesome Mix Volume 2)
  • Progression Reward in Something Wiccan
  • Earned by reaching 9 Wins / 350 Points or higher

Week 3

Monday 6/17

Iron Man (Stealth Armor) Costume
Mark 15...times he's already won Hide & Seek today

• Equips to 3-Star Iron Man (Model 40)
  • Progression Reward in "Meet Rocket & Groot" Story event
  • Earned by reaching the 7,000 Event Points threshold (S.H.I.E.L.D. Clearance 3 or higher)

Tuesday 6/18

Thor (Old King Thor) Costume

• Starts: 6/18/19 12pm ET
  • Ends: 6/22/19 12pm ET
  • Costs: $9.99 USD (converted to your region's currency and/or platform)
  • Equips to Thor (Modern)
  • Content:
    • 6x Covers of Thor (Modern) [2 of each ability]
    • 1x Thor (Old King Thor) Costume
    • 750 Hero Points

Thursday 6/20

Deadpool (Piratepool) Costume
Arrrrr you ready to sea what pilfered panoply Piratepool has plundered?

• Equips to Deadpool (Uncanny X-Force)
  • Progression Reward in "Pool Party" Versus Tournament
  • Earned by reaching 9 Wins / 350 Points or higher

Week 4

Wednesday 6/26

Loki (Goddess of Lies) Costume
This is the last costume....or is it?

• Starts: 6/26/19 12pm ET
  • Ends: 7/1/19 12pm ET
  • Costs: 8,000 Hero Points
  • Equips to Loki (God of Mischief)
  • Content:
    • 1x Loki (Goddess of Lies) Costume
    • 5x Legendary Tokens
    • 1x Rank 2 Mirror Image Support
    • 2,000 Red Iso-8

Week 5

Monday 7/1

Captain America (Private Rogers) Costume
We may have JULY-ed about only June having costumes

• Starts: 7/1/19 Daily Patch, S.H.I.E.L.D. Rank 9 or higher
  • Ends: 24 hours after the offer appears
  • Cost: $5.99 USD (converted to your region's currency and/or platform)
  • Equips to Captain America (Super Soldier)
  • Content:
    • 1x Captain America (Private Rogers) Costume
    • 3x Captain America (Super Soldier) Covers [1 of each ability]
    • 600 Iso-8

Tuesday 7/2

Spider-Man (Stealth Suit) Costume
What does Peter Parker call himself when he's wearing his Stealth Suit? ......Shhh-pider-Man

• Starts: 7/2/19 12pm ET
  • Ends: 7/7/19 12pm ET
  • Cost: $14.99 USD (converted to your region's currency and/or platform)
  • Equips to Spider-Man (Classic)
  • Content:
    • 1x Spider-Man (Stealth Suit) Costume
    • 3x Spider-Man (Classic) Covers [1 of each ability]
    • 2,100 Hero Points

Comments

• ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    Here's hoping for Emma Frost and Iceman costumes! Each could have a much better look
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Every day I check the forums looking for something that may inspire me to return to MPQ

This doesn't move the needle
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 718 Critical Contributor
    Oooh Dad jokes - can't wait, best addition to the game in a while.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s about time that they are “earnable”. Just hope there is more coming. 
  • GKar
    GKar Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Very positive way to add costumes, encourage us to play.  Huge thumbs up for me, as it gets more casuals jumping in events.  Gives placement a bit more meaning as well, without removing anything.

Hopefully this could be a good model for support tokens moving forward.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Yay costumes! They‘ll sure come up handy „soon“ with CL10! :-)
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Making a couple costumes available as earnable prizes is long overdue, so I'm glad to see it's happening.

At the same time, costumes are a hard thing to get excited about given that we use so little of our rosters. I mean, I have a champed Cable and he's nothing more than a bench warmer and Court Death sponge in easy PvE nodes. He could be wearing nothing but a pair of Fruit-of-the-Looms and smoking a cigar for all I care.
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    abenness said:
    Dormammu said:
    Making a couple costumes available as earnable prizes is long overdue, so I'm glad to see it's happening.

At the same time, costumes are a hard thing to get excited about given that we use so little of our rosters. I mean, I have a champed Cable and he's nothing more than a bench warmer and Court Death sponge in easy PvE nodes. He could be wearing nothing but a pair of Fruit-of-the-Looms and smoking a cigar for all I care.
    That’s their upcoming Wolverine costume...
    :)
    It would probably be inappropriate for a family game. But it’s so right for the character, they should just give him a pass and do it. Actually, putting X-Force Wolverine into Weapon X helmet and monitor gear would be a great costume.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Getting a progression Costume is crazy stupid awesome. That's what "earnable" means, and it's awesome that it's finally happening after that was part of the original pitch to us.

Having a Costume in placement... Like, technically it's earnable, but if it's top 10 only, it's really only "earnable" for the people who already get top placement. The same people who always get top placement because they have better rosters and/or more free time to play optimally will get it, and for the vast majority of people, it's not "earnable" at all. The number of people who don't normally get top 10 that will make the effort for this is going to be negligible, you know? This is the same problem we've had with Support Tokens in the Support Circuit and PVP placements. The kind that makes people get grumpy about "the rich getting richer," you know?

So... how about something partway between here ("here" being the gamestate before this announcement) and there?

What if progression had a Costume Token? Crack a token, get a costume, better odds of lower tier costumes, higher tier costumes are rarer, etc, just like characters. Duplicates give HP (the way the costumes in VIP already do, probably not that much though), maybe based on tier (so pulling a dupe of a higher tier costume gives a more valuable reward). With enough costumes, it doesn't matter if you get one token per event, it'll still take a while to collect them all (or you could only put tokens in certain events, like not boss events, not events that have special cover rewards like Webbed Wonder). AND it would give everyone a chance at some of those covers that you charged $75 for instead of giving people a chance to earn them.

Placement still gets specific costumes, so you can fight for one you want, and if the devs feature costumes in placement, the top end players will stand a better chance of getting all of them over time. And you can still do the Ca$h bundles when a new costume comes out to let people pay to bypass the RNG. Those that want to drop $50+ on a bundle of resources with a costume can, but the costume isn't denied to the people who can't.

Then eventually you can put specific costumes or just costume tokens into special event vaults (like those 40-item vaults we do from time to time), or maybe consider extra costume tokens for placement (EXTRA), so they can be earned, or bought with in-game resources, and you've actually got something extra in the game to chase. And not a trophy for top players that feels like a waste to the rest of the playerbase (you know, like the Infinity Stones, we'll work on fixing those once the rest of Supports get sorted out, deal?)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd guess that many players are puzzled by the Magneto costume, but I am really digging that you went to the 1602 series for a costume.  Very cool.

And now we can all laugh at Pouch-Man, er, X-Force Cable.  (Dads love pouches, right?)

Glad to see earnable costumes coming!  Looking forward to more details/opportunities too.

I'm fine with the some costumes being hard to get, by the way....if you get it, cool.  If not...it's a costume and won't impact your game.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, this seems all positive.  

I had had been hoping for Endgame that they would roll out the white suits from the film/trailer as a series of VIP rewards, but this is also good.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Please give us Fat Thor...
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Magneto dressed like a monk.  :D
    I'm interested to know if I will get kicked out of top 10 in PvE because of Cable's costume.  :disappointed:

Do they come with new animations?
  • DarthDeVo
    DarthDeVo Posts: 2,176 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

This June, not only are we bringing out the Dad jokes, but a whole plethora of new Costumes for your characters to don for the summer too!

Many costumes? Would you say we'll get a plethora of costumes? 

Brigby, what is a plethora? 

Because you told us there are a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone there is a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.

(I'm referencing a movie, for those who don't know. Bonus points if you know what I'm talking about without using Google/IMDB.)
  • Steel_Colt
    Steel_Colt Posts: 277 Mover and Shaker
    This coming out on May 31st, makes it a cool birthday present! Thanks! I already liked costumes, making them more available just boosts this!
  • iron-n-wine
    iron-n-wine Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    DarthDeVo said:
    Brigby said:
    Hi Everyone,

This June, not only are we bringing out the Dad jokes, but a whole plethora of new Costumes for your characters to don for the summer too!

Many costumes? Would you say we'll get a plethora of costumes? 

Brigby, what is a plethora? 

Because you told us there are a plethora. And I just would like to know if you know what a plethora is. I would not like to think that a person would tell someone there is a plethora, and then find out that that person has *no idea* what it means to have a plethora.

(I'm referencing a movie, for those who don't know. Bonus points if you know what I'm talking about without using Google/IMDB.)
    3amigos, right?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    @Brigby

One question I, and other players have, is whether the costumes are in any way replacing existing rewards.  I assume no, but the question is out there.