The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 5,102 Chairperson of the Boards
    Crash token:
    ant-man: yellow
    Had a cp draw and an LT champ level
    wiccan: green
    thing: yellow

getting pretty deep into this dry spell now; I haven’t really had one across the Doom tenure yet. I’m curious how bad it’ll be?
    Got to my season 10-pack - managed to get 2 bonus Punish3rs. So now PunMax is covered. I have just Carnage (9 more ocks) and Drax (need like 60 Rock3ts? for that last cover), and then I'm down to just unfed, bishop+ 4*s that need covers.

I've been looking at who to champ next, and perhaps comically this run of Webbed Wonder will be my 10th saved cover for Howard, so he might make the cut. The other affordable 4*s I have with 10 covers are all feeders like XFW (who I'm putting to 209 for ST right now), so it won't result in multiple LTs if I do it.
    Ground out the Bucky from the Thanos pvp, good for 3cp and a cp draw.

Drax: Red (5th saved, not the color I needed)
    Had another CP draw

Professor X: Blue

Now 16 deep into this dry spell. 
    Cp draws from Webbed Wonder:
    carnage: green (last missing cover)
    c&d: black

Hit the LT in the WW vault last night
    Frost: Purple

Today's Crash token:
    Hela: Red (4/0/1)

Got 266 for Punish3r
    Fury: Blue

Working on iso for another 4* champ. I can just pick a random 209, or I can save up to do Howard or 4* Lord who need around 350k each with 10 saved (and aren't feeders). If I'm strictly chasing LTs, it would cost about the same to re-champ a pair of 3*s for 1 LT each as it would to go for a single 4* worth 2, so I may do that instead.

Now that Pun Max is covered, I can start walking my 3* bh around chasing LTs for a bit. I'll put it on Torch next, he's at 265, then I have a few down lower in the range at 226, a couple within 2 covers of 238, and then i'd need a few sentries to get him to 257. 

It occurs to me that I'd absolutely have a covered Doom if I were using my 5* BH to chase the latest leaving soonest - I've gotten a pair of bonus Okoyes during his run but after Kingpin left. I still think pushing on Okoye is the stronger play for now though. 
    After Fury, I got 227 LT champ levels for Beast and Gambit:

Coulson: Blue
    Vulture: Green

Then I hit a CP daily reward
    Ghost: Blue

Then I got the last CP i needed to break 25 off the 5e node in Strange Sights + DDQ
    Ant Man: yellow

Then I sold off Punish3r to champ XFW with 11 saved on the premise the 5* OML would push up my shield rank XP. OML is now 4/1/3

Domino: Black

Depending on whether that dry spell was penance for pulling relatively hot earlier this month, or a lead in to another hot streak remains to be seen, but it's been 6 4*s since my last 5* - expecting another soon.
  • Daredevil217Daredevil217 Posts: 2,995 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m a big Doom fan, and actually think there could be some good synergy with GR green and Doom yellow. The board shuffle will help give the repeaters new life after they’ve burned to the ground. Might have to try this. GRRR is probably my least used 5. So could good to play around a bit with him. 
    Got a Namor (4/4/3) with a bonus Chavez (316) off an SS token for 5cp

Hela: Black (4/0/2)
    edited May 2019
    Since that Hela, I flipped 2cap, Punish3r, and 3torch, and champed 4* Lord for the 2 LTs. Got a bunch of random cP and LT draws as well for a total haul of:
    prof x: blue
    kingpin: yellow
    mordo: black
    hulkbuster: black
    spider woman: purple
    P4nther: red
    xfw: green
    chavez: yellow
    wasp: blue
    bonus
    chavez: Yellow
    edited May 2019
    Today's crash token:
    XFW: Green

Bonus 

Chavez: Red (319)

I felt like my chavez rate was in the basement for awhile there, but she's really rallied. Next one will put my JJ at 4/3/3. As I suspected, a high-level chavez is pretty great for playing up, and I use my 405 Okoye/Chavez as my fast climb team with +AP boosts in basically all pvps now. It still doesn't defend well, but I'm kind of thinking there are no good non-bishop defense teams in the current meta. I know it's still quite a ways out, but It'll be nice to spend a little time playing Cover Catch-up with my bonus to shore up my shield training readiness after Chavez spits out that last cover. 
    I see that the Chavez PVP is coming on 6/2 - I wish I'd been saving my HP for this day a little more diligently so I could have gone for a 10 or 40 pack, but oh well, such is life.
    Congrats buddy! Been on this journey with you for awhile. And am excited to see how he plays for you!

I like the idea of hoarding for a bit. I’d consider hoarding through Rescue personally. She really doesn’t seem good to me at all. 
    Thanks y'all! I'm going to champ him, I like the heal he brings to the table and his black is solid all the time as opposed to GRRR who has to target the highest damage dealer or take a penalty. Ghost Rider is 452, and Doom is going to be 450 on the dot, but between the 2 of them I'd only be missing high purple match damage which ought to make some kind of difference for me. I'm curious how they'll play in Simulator. There are a number of 4* characters that would fit comfortably between them - Domino, TA Hulk, Chavez obviously, Main Event, C&D, probably other I'll come up with as i use them more. Should be interesting for awhile at least.

Regarding Rescue - I don't know that she is completely useless, I think she might just be more like Kitty or Hawkguy who play down better than playing laterally, which is good for transitioners. I fought one in PVP that somebody'd champed early and paired with Bishop, and needless to say I did not win. Admittedly it was with the god-mode boost, so maybe it's different at normal levels? I don't know - I haven't come across one since then. I would be curious what a P4nther/Bishop/Rescue team looks like though.

Looking over the last 2 5*s that I was chasing, I feel like I was able to get Doom because I effectively had a horde on layaway - locked into saved levels for unchamped characters that I bought access to with iso, and I also only had the one long dry spell. I had 2 long dry spells chasing Kingpin AND he left early, and I was able to get him to 11 covers. So playing this way (progression only, pvp to 575 at least, F2P, spend only into Latest Legends as you go) IS a way to get 5*s covered as they come out, assuming you are fairly deep into the 4* tier. It's not 100% reliable, and you won't be positioned to take advantage of any of the special stores that pop up, but you can stay pretty current moving forward from the point where you start doing it. That being said, I did get enough 5* bonus heroes across both Kingpin and Doom that had I been applying that to the character about to leave soonest I'd have finished Kingpin shortly after he dropped into classic and Doom would have been done a little earlier in his tenure. I also didn't spend any pulls outside of Latest that weren't token-based this time. 

Stats:
    GE Doom entered Latest on 2/4/2019

Total LL Pulls: 236
    Pulls per day: 2.07 - I actually found this surprising. I really felt like I was pulling way more LTs due to champing than before, but evidently not.

4* BH total (only from LL): 13 (all Chavez)

Total Organic (non-bh) 5*s: 36
    5* BH (only from LL): (both Okoye: Yellow)

5* draw rate: 15.25%

Current Latest Builds
    GE Doom: 5/3/5
    Danver5: 4/1/3 
    (1 came from a C4rol champ level)
    Hela: 4/0/2

Rescue: 1/0/0 
    (not in latest yet, got lucky from an alliance token)

Longest dry spell: 19 (no bonus heroes of any kind)

As for next steps: 

For now I'm staying the course, using my 5* BH to chase Okoye and my 4* BH to chase Jessica Jones. Once I champ Doom, I'll get back to work on my 4* champing operation. At the moment, I don't plan to spend anything but iso until Doom leaves latest, at which point I'll make a decision on picking up with Danver5 or letting her go by. She is feedable as it is, but I don't see a day where I spend a year growing my C4rol for her. 

I need to update my GamePendium roster big time. For posterity, my 4* tier looks like:
    Champed: 60
    Unchamped: 24 (including limited)
    Covered: 14 (including limited)
    At 209: 6 (only 5 of those are champable)

As I sit here and stack resources, i suppose it's as good a time as any to revisit my 5* situation. I'll organize them by cover count:

13 Covers
    Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes) - champed lvl 452
    God Emperor Doom - 5/3/5 lvl 316

11 Covers
    Kingpin - 4/4/3 lvl 255

10 Covers
    Okoye - 6/4/1 lvl 405
    Cable - 1/4/5 lvl 255
    Lumbercap - 2/4/4 lvl 255

9 Covers
    Jessica Jones - 4/2/3 lvl 390
    hawkeye - 1/5/3 lvl 352
    Star Lord - 5/1/3 lvl 345

8 Covers
    Old Man Logan - 4/1/3 lvl 285
    Danver5 - 4/1/3 lvl 255
    Loki - 3/4/1 lvl 255

7 Covers
    DareDevil - 6/1/1 lvl 330
    Thano5 - 5/0/2 lvl 345

6 Covers
    First Avenger Cap - 5/0/1 lvl 285
    Gambit - 1/3/2 lvl 285
    Silver Surver - 2/1/3 lvl 285
    Hela - 4/0/2 lvl 255
    Wa5p - 3/2/1 lvl 255
    Green Goblin - 2/2/2 lvl 255

5 Covers
    Jean Grey - 2/2/1 lvl 285
    Black Bolt - 3/1/1 lvl 300

4 Covers
    Iron Man XLVI - 2/1/1 lvl 255
    BSSM - 3/1/0 lvl 270
    Banner - 0/3/1 lvl 285
    Archangel - 1/2/1 lvl 285
    5trange - 4/0/0 lvl 300
    Kitty Pryde - 2/2/0 lvl 315

3 Covers
    Gladiathor - 1/0/2 lvl 300
    Doc Ock - 1/0/2 lvl 270
    SM PP - 1/0/2 lvl 270

2 Covers
    Panther - 1/0/1 lvl 285
    Widow - 2/0/0 lvl 270

1 Cover
    Rescue - 1/0/0 lvl 255

Characters I use every day: 
    DDQ: Thano5/Panther (required 3/D3adpool in the middle)
    Easy Nodes (seeds in pvp/first 3 in pve): 5* Lord/4ocket/thano5
    Hard Nodes: (last block + requireds in pve, most climbs in pvp) Okoye + Passive Damager (chavez, medusa, strange, 3 thanos)

PVP is where I find the 5* game most intersting, and is why I've been chasing Jessica Jones. I think a Doom/JJ/Okoye team would be strong in simulator, and JJ + Okoye or Doom would be similarly nice in a required character event too. But some of the things I would be curious about and throw to the group: Is it worth shifting focus to G4mora/thano5 to be able to use him on hard nodes in PVE? I feel like Okoye + 3* is maybe even better, minus the added purple match damage. Is anyone in that 8-11 cover range worth moving my bonus hero to? Should I focus fire on JJ with my 4* and 5* bonus to get it done, THEN focus fire on Okoye now that I have a second 5*? What would y'all do with your bonus strategy given the shape of this roster?

So I personally hate playing as Gritty, and Kamala’s group heal messed up Thor. Decided to build around my favorite character of late, Doom, and was pairing him with different 5* Green users who aren’t Thor (Carol, Cable, etc.) to take advantage of Kamala’s battery. Finally with no other options (except Archangel who never made it off the bench), I dusted off Ghost Rider and the team just murdered. It was a ton of fun. 

Use GR green to burn three colors, the Doom board shuffle usually then creates nice cascades and repositions the tiles. You have two sources to collect black (other than straight matching). It was also pretty healthpack friendly as I usually focused on matching Dooms colors, then using the double heal (Doom active yellow to Kamala passive yellow) to keep the others afloat.. It worked well because Kamala gives an additional color for the rainbow. I’m guessing it’s less effective without the really good purple outlet. Still, it’s a fun team I plan to try again. 
    edited June 2019
    GRRR slays if you’re not in a hurry lol. I’ve been thinking about my BH strategy as I grind for iso, and I’m thinking of focusing fire on JJ now that it’s not so pressing for me to try and simultaneously cover JJ and Okoye. I have 100cp and an LT saved up since I covered Doom. 

On the topic of green, I was having fun with Okoye/Danver5/Boosted Sandman on the 5e node in today’s Venom Bomb. 
    Well fam, let me tell you, spending 5 months bonus hero-ing Chavez has really paid off in this Stars & Strikes pvp. Hopefully we see this again next month on 4th of July