The overwhelming drive to offend your customers -- Thanos (Endgame)

Comments

• Bubba3210
    Bubba3210 Posts: 244 Tile Toppler
    KGB said:
    Where has it been posted that Thanos End Game is needed for the next Shield Training? Or is this just speculation?

KGB
    S.H.I.E.L.D. Training - ??? (5/23/19) *New Update*
    Required Characters:
    4-Star: ???, Thanos (Endgame), Thor (Goddess of Thunder), Wolverine (X-Force)
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    jp1 said:
    Agent262 said:
    Yes Talos is garbage, as is Thanos for that matter, but the reason to invest in him is to get a cover of the new 4*, which tbh will probably also be garbage.  But you gotta catch 'em all!  So which is more unfair:  penalizing people who have responded to this surprise in the last day, or penalizing people that have been working under a now incorrect assumption for a few weeks?
    Well, one action is based on an announcement they have made, the other purely on speculation. Personally I think it’s clear. Also, they haven’t penalized anyone since they never even eluded to it possibly being Talos in the first place.
    On the other hand, they stated that Magik being in Shield Training after only featuring once was a mistake and yet here we are with the very next character where that is exactly what happened.
  • Agent262
    Agent262 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    jp1 said:
    Agent262 said:
    Yes Talos is garbage, as is Thanos for that matter, but the reason to invest in him is to get a cover of the new 4*, which tbh will probably also be garbage.  But you gotta catch 'em all!  So which is more unfair:  penalizing people who have responded to this surprise in the last day, or penalizing people that have been working under a now incorrect assumption for a few weeks?
    Well, one action is based on an announcement they have made, the other purely on speculation. Personally I think it’s clear. Also, they haven’t penalized anyone since they never even eluded to it possibly being Talos in the first place.
    Speculation based on what they have done from the very beginning of Shield Training, yes.  In every other case where it was not a random older character, it was the current characters in order of release.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Perhaps, but speculation nonetheless. If past behavior was a perfect indication of future behavior we would never be surprised. 

The point Im making is you have a group of people making assumptions, and a group of people listening to the facts. You probably should avoid making announcements about particular events that may cause people to spend ISO, HP, even real world currency and then changing them at the behest of someone who is mad that their predictions didn’t come true. I’m sorry if that seems harsh, but as far as I’m concerned if you gamble on the wrong horse and lose out, that’s on you.
  • Agent262
    Agent262 Posts: 17 Just Dropped In
    Your argument would have some merit if the announcement that they were changing a pattern they had followed up to that point came early enough for anyone to do anything about it.  I am guessing anyone who is serious about the game has about 6 Thanos covers right now, assuming they got the max number possible so far.  There will be one cover available in placement and one in progression before the Shield Training is over.  Are you then suggesting that getting 2 bonus covers in a one week period is reasonable?  You are opening 40 4*'s a week?

The reason we are forced to make "assumptions" is that we are not given information to the contrary.  And the "group of people" that are making these "assumptions" is the entire player base.  The people that are now "listening to the facts" are the same people, but we were not given those facts early enough to do anything about it.  If you would stop being pedantic for 2 seconds you would see that.

And yeah i used the word pedantic to make up for the fact the fact that I cant figure out how the quote feature works.  
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    If someone cares enough about getting these bonus 4* covers, they can take precautions to make sure they are ready to pivot as needed.  For example, I never open heroics unless I need 4* BH's, because I do want to be ready.  That decision comes at a cost that personally I feel is worth it.
    I somehow doubt they expected our response to be positive to this, yet they did go with it, so they are clearly comfortable with these types of unpopular decisions. 
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Standard operating procedures.  If we get an answer here about it this is a mistake or not, I would not expect anything until Tuesday at best.  Expect the unexpected with this Dev team.  

My EG Thanos is a whole 3/3/2 but have PVE coming up that I will end in Top 5 so that is a few more covers.  

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    So either they were flat out lying when they said that Magik was a mistake.
    Or they were careless enough not to update the characters for the following shield trainings.

Both isn't a particularly great outlook.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    After getting 1 Thanos BH in the Rescue store my Thanos had 7 covers. Knowing I'm getting 1 more in the Webbed Wonder event I decided to open some LT's in search of either a Thanos cover or a BH to get him to 10 covers.

I started with 3 5*s (2 Hela and a Marvel) in my first 5 draws! Then I went on a long cold run of 5*s (ended with 5 total) and I could not draw Thanos or a BH. Eventually after 42 LT's I finally hit a BH so I stopped thinking I was now at 8 covers (figured I'd hope for another BH in the next few days before Shield Training ends).

However when I was applying the covers I discovered I had not 1 but 3 Thanos Green covers so he's now at 10 covers. I *know* I didn't draw a Thanos cover during the time I was opening LT's and I only saw 1 BH (on my 42nd LT). Yet I ended up with 3 Thanos Green covers. Is it possible to get a BH without the game showing you the BH animation? It's the only explanation I have (unless during the opening of LT's it showed the wrong cover/symbol). I never looked at all the covers before applying (to see if they had a heart symbol) since the first cover in my list was Thanos so I just hit apply and was surprised to see I could 'apply 2 more of the same color'. Anyone ever had this happen to them before?

I clearly would have stopped opening LT's at 2 Thanos covers since I only needed to go from 7 to 9.

KGB
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 426 Mover and Shaker
    Rod5 said:
    I can’t help feeling there’s a bit of entitlement going on here. If you placed well in the events he was featured in, you should be well-placed to have him ready. It does feel a touch early but Talos has been out a while so it couldn’t really be him. 

Stick a heart on on him and pull a few...that’s what I’ve done when I’ve ended up short. If you’re protecting a hoard and refuse for whatever reason then you only have yourself to blame really.
    Put a heart on him?  So funny for those of us who haven't gotten a bonus hero for months on end.  Requiring bonus heroes to actually get characters was pure **** when they did vaulting and it still is now that they diluted the game down the drain in the sewer, moved backwards making the game full on dilution and now seem to have no interest in fixing it.  Game is turning to garbage, but yeah bonus heroing him will save the day
  • NotBAMF
    NotBAMF Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

Not that this helps anyone else, but I've gotten ridiculously lucky with Thanos in the last three days. I've gone from 3/2/1 to 4/2/3 because

1) One of my Rescue Me tokens was Thanos.

2) A second Rescue Me token gave me a BH Thanos.

3) I opened my season 10 pack today and got a 4* with another BH Thanos.

So I went from nowhere near being able to get 10 covers on him in time to knowing the progression cover in Strange Sights will be #10.

• Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    Fortunate favors the few as they say. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Fortunate favors the few as they say. 
    This is such a defeatist attitude. There is no fortune, there is just math. It's a numbers game. Percentages. As with all percentages, there are hot streaks and cold streaks.

Are you guaranteed to get enough covers for a character with bonus heroes and token pulls? No. But you get another chance with every pull. This is why I stress to anyone who'll listen to hoard LTs, CPs, and Heroics at least for a season, every season, if it's that important to you to get a cover out of SHIELD Training. Once you get that new 4-star to the required amount of covers, stop pulling and wait for the next one to come around. This helps to survive those cold streaks.

Now, some would argue that the same thing is accomplished with the pull-as-you go method, but that's rubbish. When you get the newer 4-star to 10 covers and keep pulling before the next 4-star enters tokens, those are strategically squandered pulls. You want as many chances as you can get after the next 4-star enters tokens, not before.

As I said, there are no guarantees in MPQ when it comes to RNG, but there are good times to pull tokens and spend CP and there are bad times. Knowing when to spend resources, I'd argue, is as important as gaining them in the first place.
  • Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2019
    So math can't be a defeatist attitude? Good luck with that.

The whole idea of if you're not spending your resources 100% based on %s and averages is fallacy in itself. Those players doing that are the vast minority versus the people just trying to play the game and gain forward momentum. 
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, I do hate math.  :s
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    I don't hoard ( too boring for me) and I haven't been trying to cover Thanos and he is sitting at a 3/3/1 right now for me. 

Maybe I got lucky, but I also grinded for him when he could be earned either in PVE or pvp. 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Rod5 said:
    Stick a heart on him

That might work except...we all know Thanos has no heart!!!
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anybody notice that the Dev team was active yesterday with some announcements but didn’t take the time to answer if this was a “mistake” like Magic or not??  Wonder if they will answer this today?