Droprates in packs

Options
ArielSira
ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
Just bought a Rav Allegiance premium pack cos I had crystals saved. Not only did it just have the bonus rare (like half the premium packs), 2 of the packs were 5 commons. Something that happens quite a lot with reward boosters too.

Imagine spending actual money (€15) to buy crystals for these packs.

Imagine asking actual money for these.

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Drop rates may not be doubted!!! If you feel there is something wrong with the drop rates, you are the one that is wrong!

That is my experience when I have raised this subject, so sit back and prepare to be shouted down.
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 490 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Oh I know the droprates are as displayed (aside that 30% actually is 6% per pack) but they're disgustingly bad. I also recall the 5 common packs were at some point gone.

Asking that much money is just bad (I've raised this before too), you can get a lot better buying real MTG packs. That alone should have made them reconsider prices already.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ArielSira said:
    Oh I know the droprates are as displayed (aside that 30% actually is 6% per pack) but they're disgustingly bad. I also recall the 5 common packs were at some point gone.

Asking that much money is just bad (I've raised this before too), you can get a lot better buying real MTG packs. That alone should have made them reconsider prices already.
    The all commons packs are still very much alive and well... I get them pretty often. Also still alive are the packs with multiple copies of the same card in them. My record so far is four of the same common in a pack. 
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Single packs were prevented from dropping 5 commons from around Dec 2016 until Feb 2018.  Since then, it's happened at the normal rate you'd expect from randomness (once every 60-70 packs).

It's always been possible to get multiple copies of the same card from a pack; unlike real MtG card packs, there's no special action taken to prevent that.

(I hope nobody sees this as "shouting down"; given that the answers are known, my assumption is that anyone with an interest in this thread would be interested in knowing them too.)
  • ShaarkBiite
    ShaarkBiite Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    It would seem that the probability in getting a duplicate within the same 5 card pack has to be tiny, but yet it happens all the time. Anyone out there do the math? 
  • Tilwin90
    Tilwin90 Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options
    5% duplicate chance in a 200 cards set, naively assuming all cards are evenly distributed regardless of rarity. Looking at 5 boosters this chance gets bumped up to 79%. 
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tilwin90 said:
    5% duplicate chance in a 200 cards set, naively assuming all cards are evenly distributed regardless of rarity. Looking at 5 boosters this chance gets bumped up to 79%. 
    Yep.  And considering rarity, dupe rates are higher, since most cards drop as common or uncommon. From simulating opening thousands of RNA packs, around 1 in 13 boosters (7.5%) has a repeated card, and it goes up to 91% for PPs.
  • Tourmaline
    Tourmaline Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I pulled a card pack a few sets ago that gave me 4 copies of the same common in one pack. 😂😂
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I recently opened a 5 card booster with 3 cards being the same common ... RNG rules ...
  • ShaarkBiite
    ShaarkBiite Posts: 39 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Thanks @Tilwin90 @Volrak .  It's been a while since I've done that kind of math. I thought it was more like pulling any one card out of a 50 card deck is 1/50 and pulling the same card twice is 1/50 x 1/50, but I didn't remember how to figure in that you have 5 chances.