March + April Contest Winners! (5/17/19)

Options
Brigby
Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
Hi Everyone,
We recently asked the following question for our March + April Forum Contest:
  • How many friendly Strike, Attack, Protect, Countdown, or Critical Tiles can you get on the board at the same time to net you the most points?
All you theory crafters raced into battle and came up with a plethora of unique combinations. Gradually the entries started getting submitted one by one, each displaying more points after the other. Finally, we reached what seemed to be the pinnacle of points-gathering. 

The players that scored the highest points are...
  • 1st: @GKar with 203 points! (4 Protect Tiles, 50 Countdown Tiles, 9 Critical Tiles)
  • 2nd [Tie]: @Vladdy with 194 points! (63 Countdown Tiles, 1 Critical Tile)
  • 2nd [Tie]: @Basepuzzler with 194 points! (63 Countdown Tiles, 1 Critical Tile)
  • 3rd: @scottee with 193 points! (61 Countdown Tiles, 2 Critical Tiles)

Congratulations to our 4 winners! Please send me a private forum message by 5/24/19 with your in-game name and prize selection to redeem your reward! (Please note that if you do not message me by then, we will consider you to have forfeited your prize, and it will go to the player with the next highest points.)

Thank you so much to everyone that submitted guesses! Keep an eye out for our next contest!

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    A great contest that was easy to play while we waited for timers and shields etc, etc.  the real plus was the ease of just trying again.   It might be worth passing on to event designers that this exactly the type of one off challenge that appeals to the avg forum poster.  They would much rather chase a unique challenge vs another day of rocket Groot
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Had a lot of fun with this one, great idea for a contest.  Hope to see more like it in the future.  Was nice to have something to play for that didn’t have to be done at a certain time, wasn’t a race, and encouraged use of characters you would otherwise ignore.

pmed @Brigby
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This was a lot of fun @Brigby.  Please do more of these to really make some things fun again.  
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Things like this should be in-game, with rewards. Would give the Puzzle Quest aspect of the game a proper push, and a well-deserved change of ever-same gameplay. :-)
  • Ed_Dragonrider
    Ed_Dragonrider Posts: 581 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Congrats to all the winners!

I would love it if you told us the teams you used...
  • ManoPA
    ManoPA Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Vladdy said:
    My team was War Machine, 4* Starlord and 4* Black Widow. In addition I used 2 4* Kingpin TU and 1 3* Magneto TU.
    Thanks for sharing!
     :) 
    I was curious how to perform that board.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vladdy said:
    My team was War Machine, 4* Starlord and 4* Black Widow. In addition I used 2 4* Kingpin TU and 1 3* Magneto TU.
    Nice! I wasn't familiar with Black Widow's skill set enough, so didn't think to use her cost reduction. Brilliant.

My final board I believe was War Machine, 4* Starlord, and 4* Kingpin. Then used a Sentry TU, and I think 2 1* Hawkeye TU.

I could have taken 2nd place if I had manipulated the colors to get just one more Kingpin countdown on the board.

One help was the 2nd to last day of the contest, there was a PVE wave node that had 3* Groot at the end. 1st wave was gathering AP. 2nd wave, damage Groot, then let him use his heal to eat the TU tiles. Rinse and repeat until there were none left.

Without that node, it meant bringing a 3* Magneto TU.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    why doesn't mpq have in-game career challenges like this? like 'have 10 critical tiles on the board at one time'. this is how you could award costumes, or *gasp* 5* covers..
  • Basepuzzler
    Basepuzzler Posts: 180 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I used war machine, 4* star lord, and 3* angel.  And brought along a 4* bw TU and a 3* magneto TU.  I should have brought a 1* HE TU as well.
  • Richyyy
    Richyyy Posts: 305 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jredd said:
    why doesn't mpq have in-game career challenges like this? like 'have 10 critical tiles on the board at one time'. this is how you could award costumes, or *gasp* 5* covers..
    Or just have things like that be how you actually win nodes. They don't all have to be 'hit your opponent enough to deplete his energy to zero'. If the target was occasionally 'get 12 countdown tiles on the board simultaneously' or 'cover half the board in blue' it'd force people to use characters that are virtually forgotten (like the ones people used in this challenge). It could even just be an alternative way to win some nodes. If the enemy energy pools were high enough, people playing competitively would switch tactics if it was quicker.

It's the complete refusal to listen and implement stuff like this that has left me utterly bored with the same old grind and quitting the game. It's just a shame.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 973 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Any other players willing to share their team/strategy to achieving these impressive feats?
    I've enjoyed reading the tactics shared thus far.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Options
    *Please keep all comments on the topic of the contest and the strategies players used.

If you wish to discuss the topic of how these kind of challenges could theoretically be implemented in the game, then please start a separate thread. Thank you!
  • GKar
    GKar Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I used Coulson/Shuri/1* Hawkeye with Black Widow TU/Storm TU/Sentry TU.  I had some other teams that scored over 200 as well, and almost had a 12 crit board but misplaced a crit that ended up causing a chain that took out most of the board.  Very fun challenge and I am looking forward to getting a red Hela cover.

Thanks to all the HSquids who had to suffer through me talking about various strategies and helping with my strange team up requests.