***** Rescue (Pepper Potts) *****

Comments

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    I only requested Rescue, like...5 years ago =B

So hurray! We finally get her =D

Here's hoping for a later costume to give her her original look, too.

• RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2019
    Versus Gritty in Sim: Rescue, 50% Thor and Endgame Thanos.
    While you are actively gathering blue and yellow, Thanos is removing 1 enemy special each turn and adding green to the board for Thor. In just a couple of turns, the enemy team will be down to just 3-4 strike tiles, which are a bit buffed but not necessarily deadly yet. Thor's chaos should help align blue matches for you, and gain his own colors efficiently. 
    Fire off Rescue's yellow (before blue!) to produce 2 protect tiles.
    Now immediately fire off Rescue's blue to steal 3 strikes and possibly convert a 4th enemy strike to red.
    Then fire Rescue's red against Kitty since the multiple hits could be quite strong with the strikes adding to each blow. If enemy Kitty is not down yet, you have 1 turn of Thor auto-damage with those strong strikes out before she gets the benefit of her repeater tile. 
    This will now allow Thor to actively match green since he will be healed a bit each turn. This could be quite helpful since you are normally afraid to match his colors and take some damage. 
    You should quickly have Thor's green ready, or even Thanos' black which will do decent team damage since the enemy team is likely all Heroes. 

*If you happen to get way ahead on yellow there is nothing wrong with Thor's instead. You definitely do not want to play Rescue's yellow after you have stolen enemy strike tiles, since they would then be converted to protect tiles. 
    ** This team does not address normal PvP, and doesn't sound great on defense. But Gritty teams that fight against you in Sim will definitely be losing many strike tiles prior to downing one of your team members, and the AI  could play Rescue's abilities reasonably well for you.
    *** Yes, I understand Okoye, 50% Thor, and any various 3rd's could be better versus Gritty anyway.

**** Don't have 5* Thor? I'm thinking a 3/5/5 Hela would also play quite well in this situation. Rescue Blue followed by her red, then Hela's green, could be excellent with all of those multi-hits. Sneak in Hela's black before downing opponents so she will buff those attack tiles among all of your specials.
  • bk201
    bk201 Posts: 94 Match Maker
    AlexR said:
    Looking at this, I should probably hoard past Rescue. But the problem is, I want Hela.
    So I either hope that the 5* after Rescue redeems Hela/Rescue/?? as a latest trio, which is a serious gamble at this point. Or I throw all my LLs at Doom/Hela to try to get my 0/0/2 Doom better covered. hm.
    @AlexR, I'm in the same spot and want Hela too. I was hoarding for CM, disappointed. Decided to wait for the next release during Endgame, also disappointed. I'm thinking about getting Doom, instead of Rescue, to pair with Okoye, my sole 5* champion. Also getting Hela, with the drawback of getting CM.

When she'll enter the latest? Probably by the end of May?
  • RickOShay
    bk201 said:

When she'll enter the latest? Probably by the end of May?
    Rescue's release store will run through the end of Sunday, so she should enter Latest two weeks from when it closes.
    {Three weeks from yesterday morning)
  • RickOShay
    edited May 2019
    Damage on her blue is way too low of course. As others have stated, the Dev's often over-value abilities that can convert colors / cause cascades. 
    That said, I'm looking forward to playing All Systems Go after enemy Hela has played her black. All blue tiles would be enemy attack tiles, so after stealing 3 of them, the remaining would all be converted to red and potentially create lots of red matches for you. Maybe running Rescue at 3/5/5 is better for this, since you will only steal 2 of the attack tiles and convert the remaining.

To be fair, most 5* abilities that either steal or convert/remove enemy special tiles have no direct damage tied to this ability. 
    It's quite easy to rate Hela's red, and Daredevil's purple well ahead of Rescue's blue here. Kitty's purple passive could also be much more valuable.
    But, I think the purple abilities of Star-Lord, Gambit, Dr. Strange (often forget this), and Black Widow can have similar or worse drawbacks in comparison - randomness, too slow, expensive, etc. 
    For damage abilities with the opportunity to remove enemy specials, Okoye red rates much higher for damage but you can't rely on how many enemy specials will be lined up for you to destroy along the chosen line-break. Randomness of the line-break is a similar drawback to Captain Marvel's and Loki's green.  
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    RickOShay said:
    Damage on her blue is way too low of course. As others have stated, the Dev's often over-value abilities that can convert colors / cause cascades. 
    That said, I'm looking forward to playing All Systems Go after enemy Hela has played her black. All blue tiles would be enemy attack tiles, so after stealing 3 of them, the remaining would all be converted to red and potentially create lots of red matches for you. Maybe running Rescue at 3/5/5 is better for this, since you will only steal 2 of the attack tiles and convert the remaining.

To be fair, most 5* abilities that either steal or convert/remove enemy special tiles have no direct damage tied to this ability. 
    It's quite easy to rate Hela's red, and Daredevil's purple well ahead of Rescue's blue here. Kitty's purple passive could also be much more valuable.
    But, I think the purple abilities of Star-Lord, Gambit, Dr. Strange (often forget this), and Black Widow can have similar or worse drawbacks in comparison - randomness, too slow, expensive, etc. 
    For damage abilities with the opportunity to remove enemy specials, Okoye red rates much higher for damage but you can't rely on how many enemy specials will be lined up for you to destroy along the chosen line-break. Randomness of the line-break is a similar drawback to Captain Marvel's and Loki's green.  
    I think you have a really good point on powers that steal special tiles typically do not do damage.  This point made me look at this power again to see different possibilities.  
    When I look at it again it feel really situational still.  If you are facing someone who spans a lot of special tiles that conversion to red can be great.  The problem is how situational it is.  If the AI is not spitting out special tiles her blue is useless.  

Unfortunately I still think she is a weaker 5* but your point opened me up to some possibilities she might not be as bad as I thought.  Thanks for bringing context to her blue.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    I will also point out that it is really sad that she has 0 interactions with 5* IM. They share the 3 colors. If she had another color combination at least it would have been cool to play them together to get red cascades.

In the end, she is kinda similar to IM, without the team IM limitation, but worse in almost every way (his yellow is clearly superior, his blue doesnt need special tiles, and if there is just one team IM his red is also better). She is clearly superior in match damage and hit points though, she is a bit like Carol with very high match damage.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5
    Of course she has higher match damage than 5IM.  

Other than the reworked Doc Ock, the top 10 5's for match dmg numbers were all released after Thor.

IM is #20 (now).

The bottom 10:

Wolverine
    Captain America (FA)
    The Hulk (Hulk)
    Black Bolt
    Hawkeye
    Black Widow
    Silver Surfer
    The Hulk (Banner)
    Green Goblin
    Phoenix

Match damage power creep is real.  Note that sometimes match dmg is relatively lower to mitigate things like healing or passives, but mostly the older the 5, the worse their match damage.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Where does Tony Stark grow jalapenos?

In his pepper pots.

:P
  • ursopro
    ursopro Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Zeofar said:
    Quebbster said:
    Doesn't Bishop remove protect tiles? That's less than ideal if you run him and Pepper together.
    Kinda. You could try to go Rescue / Bishop / Thing and cycle through intercepts while healing up and nabbing blue AP from the protects. I don't think Rescue is really an above average addition to Bishop / Thing though, since you'd rather just have a reliable way to close out the game.
    Bishop/Thing doesn't work

They're bugged in a way that neither will jump to the front.
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hilk said:
    Brigby 
    can you confirm yellow heals only allies and not self.
    for a healer, you want the people being healed to be on the front line... looks like she will be tanking instead.. not great if she doesn’t self heal.
    I just did some testing, and it doesn't seem like Rescue will heal herself; only the other two characters on her team.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm just praying Rescue isn't modeled on Gwneth Paltrow. Then again, Rescue seems like they will be really annoying to play against, so maybe it would be appropriate?
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    I'm just praying Rescue isn't modeled on Gwneth Paltrow. Then again, Rescue seems like they will be really annoying to play against, so maybe it would be appropriate?
    She'll probably be in her suit like Riri/Iron Man so you wouldn't see any face shot. So you'll just have to imagine it's Gwyneth when the enemy team with her on it is defeating you :D  

KGB
  • IMH
    IMH Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Well, at 3/5/5 Pepper can spam out a Swarm token if paired with Wasp.... so that’s... a thing. Maybe a cool interaction is coming for those 5*s that we now see as terrible. 

E.g. GroKitty teams look pretty dumb when BiB Spidey 3/5/5 comes to play. He was unplayable previously. 

I might be alone, but I’m waiting for Rescue. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    Of course she has higher match damage than 5IM.  

Match damage power creep is real.  Note that sometimes match dmg is relatively lower to mitigate things like healing or passives, but mostly the older the 5, the worse their match damage.
    It is so sad that this game has moved into a match tiles only game. You just chose your team, and that's it, passives and super high match damage do the rest. No need to fire powers anymore, just passives.

I still remember when strategy was needed in the match (not just before the match)... :(
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5
    I only requested Rescue, like...5 years ago =B

So hurray! We finally get her =D

Here's hoping for a later costume to give her her original look, too.

I really miss these threads, so much fun, and some got really close!
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,517 Chairperson of the Boards
    3/5/5
    That red is a really good tap power, similar to 3* Gamora's red.

The yellow passive component is nice IF you bring someone to boost the protect tiles. But the fact that she steals her own team's strike and attack tiles on active... WOOOOOOF!

Blue seems like an attempt at a Gritty counter that can't possibly be effective at that cost unless you bring Bishop with you. But if you use 9 blue AP with Rescue, you're giving up Bishop's stun utility early match. Additionally, if you use Bishop, he's going to be removing Rescue's protect tiles with his yellow passive. So, scenario 1 is you bring Bishop, steal all of Gritty's specials, then hope you can stun lock their Kitty before Bishop dies and all the specials are off the board (because then you hit like a kitten).... OR... don't bring Bishop and you're dead before you ever fire this power.

She has the potential to be slightly annoying on defense if the protect tiles get out of control, but her weaknesses are rather glaring. I don't see using her in PvP, and she'll be slow in PvE. This is a dead roster slot.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    I think her yellow power is somewhat lackluster in many situations because you lose all of your own attack/strike tiles, which almost every player would prefer over protect tiles.  The only time I see it being decent is if you happen to have a lot of low level attack/strike tiles from something like a support etc.  Very limited use in most situations.  The healing is an afterthought as most healing powers in the game are unfortunately unless they are true healers like OML etc.  

Her blue power is ok but not that much more stellar than other steal tile abilities out there.  

Her red is good damage and cheap.  Perhaps her best value will be with characters like OML/Okoye where you can get the advantage of firing off cheap powers and getting additional benefits from allies.   I suppose a pairing with 4* Star Lord would be really good, allowing you to fire off her red for 4 AP when he has his yellow passive tiles out? Although I think 5* Hawkeye is just a better cheap power 5* character to use in this role if available. 
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    She is definitely below average.  I have no idea how the devs sit around a table to come up with someone in 5* land, knowing what they know about the game, and come up with this.  Definite fail, IMHO.
    That's the problem, they don't know their own game.