Jaya, the Combogenic

Jaya has always had this reputation of an unfair PW, which can be extremely broken, if combined with right cards.
After a long break from MTGPQ, I found out that it got nerfed/changed and the old prowess/draw based combo didn't work, it took me only 5 games to figure out the exceptional synergy between Hazoret's Undying Fury and Jaya's new 3 ability. You don't even have to cast HUF per se -- it can be fetched by other spell, and after you resolve HUF, if you have 1 or 2 other spells in your deck, you cast those into infinity. For now, my supporting shell consists of all supports that draw cards or convert to loyalty gems. Has anyone else figure out a more optimal shell for abusing Jaya? Or any other 'budget' combos for that matter?

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moving to PW Discussion

• Zzyzzx
    Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
    I truly appreciate Jaya and it's nice to see somebody else that does too.
    I've referred to her as a badass of the "Betty White Calibre" in-game chat before.
    She's my go-to gal for critterless burn builds (tokens okay) and I use her all the time in both Standard and Legacy.

• ZW2007-
    ZW2007- Posts: 812 Critical Contributor
    edited April 2019
    Malcrof said:
    Moving to PW Discussion

Aka dooming this thread to be abandoned. Why mod a forum that you don't understand?
  • TheExaminer
    TheExaminer Posts: 94 Match Maker
    ZW2007- said:
    Malcrof said:
    Moving to PW Discussion

Aka dooming this thread to be abandoned. Why mod a forum that you don't understand?
    Sad but true. The game is already almost dead, doing this kind of stuff on forum won't help...
  • Tengu316
    Tengu316 Posts: 37 Just Dropped In
    I found this after they moved it, not before. Shows I'm just plain confused on how this forum is subdivided. :dizzy:

Anyway...

Has anyone been able to make Jaya reliable outside of simply plain red good-stuff? I've been able to make her competitive with HUF, but I just can't seem to get her to have any inevitability (if that makes sense).
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use her a lot in all events, coalition and not, standard and Legacy. She's one of my top competitive pws.

It's rather counterintuitive, but she wants few but good spells. I usually only use three - in standard banefire, elektrodominance and "gimme an extra swap". For legacy, the 12dmg rare burn spell and harness the storm. With her ult, one spell becomes three!
    For creatures I usually use dragons, and fill it all up with ramp - dragon hoard, Unclaimed territory and the 4 mana flip thingy.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I use her a lot in all events, coalition and not, standard and Legacy. She's one of my top competitive pws.

It's rather counterintuitive, but she wants few but good spells. I usually only use three - in standard banefire, elektrodominance and "gimme an extra swap". For legacy, the 12dmg rare burn spell and harness the storm. With her ult, one spell becomes three!
    For creatures I usually use dragons, and fill it all up with ramp - dragon hoard, Unclaimed territory and the 4 mana flip thingy.
    Funny, I do the opposite.  Have a couple creatures that combo with spells and then just 7 burners.  Usually win within a couple turns of dropping her ult.  The high spell density means I draw a new one almost every turn, so I can keep the chain going for a while.