The Grand Experiment: Can you transition to 5*s pulling as you go as a progession-only F2P player?

Comments

• ThaRoadWarriorThaRoadWarrior Posts: 5,113 Chairperson of the Boards
    Post-post credits scene:

One last CP draw this morning after DDQ:
    Mockingbird: Yellow (286)
    Still no Hela, but the last 2 LLs I've drawn  have come with bonus Chavez covers back to back. She's at 308 now.
    No 5* news to speak of, but Chavez is up to 310, and I have 2 greens on Th4nos.
    Got another bonus Chavez (311), and a red Danver5 (2/0/2)
    edited April 2019
    Since that Danver5, I've pulled:

Flaptain: red
    Spider-Woman: Red
    Hela: Red

Now it's time to decide if I stop pulling until Doom is about to leave latest, or just keep pulling as I go. I'm going to attempt to save up, and work on champing my 4*s during this golden age of double iso; we'll see how that goes for me. I do like Doom though, I'll probably end up pulling for him before he leaves if he doesn't end up with a feeder announcement.

I see that Danver5 is getting a feeder in the form of C4rol on Friday. My own C4rol is at 292 right now. I'm mildly tempted to shift my BH off of Chavez for the week, but it seems unlikely I'll pull down 8 C4rols in that time. I see there is one on day 6 of the endgame stuff, but my 3* carol is in the high 190s, so she won't be any help. I'm going to stick to the plan, and leave it on Chavez. 

I'm currently averaging 0.29 Chavez covers/day. Since 1/24/2019 I've brought in 26 from organic and bonus pulls across varioius stores. I have 49 more to go until JJ is cover-complete.
    edited April 2019
    Interesting enough, in this Main Event Hulk event, I've been climbing with my old favorite sim team of Main Event/Mockingbird/Chavez even though neither wingperson is on the boost list, and I actually have a float point up around 600 again compared to the +/-50 of 400 I have had otherwise since champing GRRR. I guess people don't love that Gamma Powerbomb in their face for free...

The retals I am seeing are much more diverse than Kitty/Rocket and the usual Thorkoye (though they are present). It's a lot more like what I heard Single 5* MMR would be like, with random Silver Surfer + Chavez or some OMLs etc. I guess double-grand-entrances aren't conducive to those Gritty-reliant climbers.
  • TPF AlexisTPF Alexis Posts: 3,813 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting enough, in this Main Event Hulk event, I've been climbing with my old favorite sim team of Main Event/Mockingbird/Chavez even though neither wingperson is on the boost list, and I actually have a float point up around 600 again compared to the +/-50 of 400 I have had otherwise since champing GRRR. I guess people don't love that Gamma Powerbomb in their face for free...

The retals I am seeing are much more diverse than Kitty/Rocket and the usual Thorkoye (though they are present). It's a lot more like what I heard Single 5* MMR would be like, with random Silver Surfer + Chavez or some OMLs etc. I guess double-grand-entrances aren't conducive to those Gritty-reliant climbers.
    Yeah, I've benched Grocket for this one. May still run Kitty/Carnage at some point if I get stuck needing some 5* power.
  • DormammuDormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, I've benched Grocket for this one. May still run Kitty/Carnage at some point if I get stuck needing some 5* power.
    I played Kitty/Carnage twice now in MEHulk's event. Carnage's attack tiles definitely start packing a punch but you do need to try and protect them a bit if possible. A cascade or match-4 that takes a bunch of yours out in one turn can really slow you down. Prioritize yellow for Kitty and cast that if it happens, allowing you to get more tiles out when you're low and keep her buffing.
    I attempted to run New Reed/Carnage to see how often i’d Get free power bombs out of it. It didn’t work as well as Mockingbird.
    I got tired of saving up, and went back to spending into Latest after that previous post. I unloaded all 6 of my max-champ 3*s during Double Iso, and threw it mostly at the characters I had at 209 with 10 covers saved up. I was able to champ:

Quake (13 saved)
    Cyclops (10 saved)
    XFDP (9 saved)
    Gwenpool (10 saved)

There were a few CP draws across that pull streak as well. I had a 9 cover dry spell between the red Hela and my next 5*, which was a yellow Danver5. Coupled with the feeder going live, that puts her at 3/0/3. Then I had 3 4*s, and got a GE Doom: Black - putting him at 4/2/4.

I'm pretty close to champing Ant-Man who has 10 saved, I'll get there just before his PVP I think. That'll put my Wa5p at 3/2/1 (yay...i guess). 

I haven't started the G4mora pvp yet, but that 4ocket PVP was a full on nightmare. I was 16 wins and out as soon as I could be lol.
    Since pulling that Doom, I was able to champ Ant-Man, and I got a 266th for Dak3n. Those three pulls were:

Lady Thor: Blue
    Hela: Black
    Hela: Red (2/0/1)

I'm glad they were hela's over Danver5, but I would really like to finish up Doom. I like to think that I'll have the fortitude to wait out the Danver5 run for whoever is next, but maybe not when it comes down to it.
    I managed to champ Spider-Gwen with 10 saved covers, i've just started aggressively flipping over max-champ 3*s as they happen at this point to get the iso for that. I'm down to 7 champable 4s at 209, then 11 more champables in various states of trivial leveling (including Devil d and howard), and 10 that need covers (including Ham and Taskmaster but not Ronin).

Since that last post, I went 6 pulls, then got

Hela: Red (3/0/1)

I'm wondering if pulling as I go really is going to just result in a bunch of 11 cover 5*s....I definitely prefer Hela covers to Danver5 covers, but Doom is so close y'all - can't we just finish one before we start getting those? lol
    edited May 2019
    Got a green for my Danver5 over the weekend, she's 3/1/3. I've been pulling 5s at a rate that makes me think I'm due for a mega dry spell. Hopefully it doesn't come before I get those last 3 Dooms I need, but if it does, I guess that's life. I had multiple 15-24 pull dry spells across kingpin's run, which I suspect is part of why I wasn't able to get him done before he left. If my relatively solid odds hold out for Doom, it could work.

I managed to champ Iron Spider this morning, so now I have a complete 4* Spider-Fam team. I wonder if it'll work in Simulator against all those gritty/bishops I see, or if their levels are too relatively low? I need to try it out, see who tanks what. Miles and IS are at 278, and Gwen is at 281
    edited May 2019
    My expectation for IS is that he is going to negate some of that Bishop damage, and the web-spam would ideally be accruing purple for Gwen to mutli-stun, as well as keeping that health up generally until somebody can nuke Bishop off the map. I don't expect it'll be The Answer to that team, just one more reliable option to get some of those last few points climbing from 1,800-2,000 in Simulator where those teams are all I see. My Rogue/G4mora/Vulture team was pretty reliable if I stocked it up with +AP boosts first.
    I got a Kamala Khan from a pvp token that got a medusa that got me some cp that got me to latest yesterday. pulled:

Danver5: Red (4/1/3)

bonus
    Okoye: Yellow (6/4/1)

This is a great spread for using her un-finished, but a terrible spread for feeding her to completion since I still need to take Shuri from 283-360 to do it lol. 
    edited May 2019
    Ended up champing Kate Bishop with 7 saved

GE Doom: Blue (4/2/5)

Incidentally, I"ve pulled like 4 dazzlers in the last 2 weeks, the first I've gotten since I moved my bonus hero off her months ago. I was so sure she was going to be the anti-Kitty at the time, and she likely would be if she had any kind of health to survive the teams I'm up against. Oh well.

So far 11 covers is as good as I've done pulling from latest. I got Cable to 10, Kingpin and now Doom to 11. It's hard to project how sustainable this LT rate is going to be after I finish this batch of low hanging 4*s at 209. I have 5 left, and then I'm back in to the 300K-375k each range again. I do have a number of 3*s within a cover or three of 266, and I have a few ready to re-champ, so it's not completely going to dry up. But still, it will be interesting to see how it plays out. I think once i'm out of 209s, I'll move IW there next in the hope she'll be a Doom feeder - she has 12 saved covers now. I suppose it could end up being Namor as well, in which case I will not be so well positioned...

Current Latest Crop:

GE Doom: 4/2/5
    Danver5: 4/1/3
    Hela: 3/0/1

edited May 2019
    Pulled a black GE Doom today, making him 4/3/5. I'm getting close to champing another 4* as well for another couple LTs. It'll be tight for me to finish him in the next 2.5 or so weeks, but at least he's going to get finished by whoever they announce as a feeder from the first cover (assuming standard reward color drops) if I don't.
    I champed Invisible Woman, even though she wasn't at 209, since she had 12 saved covers and seems to be to be the obvious choice for a Doom feeder eventually. 

X-23: green
    bonus: Chavez Green (314)
    EB Venom: Yellow

I guess as we grind down to the end of the Doom run in Latest, it might be fun to see a play by play again.
    edited May 2019
    Had 50cp coming out of Simulator
    Mordo: Black
    Miles: Red (280)
    Bucky: Blue (280 -> red Lumbercap 2/4/4)
    got the Team Cap LT from the vault
    Elektr4: black

threw 1800hp at the pepper Potts vault, scored the rescue token
    Rescue: Blue
    Had some CP and LT champ levels, Max-champed and flipped Thor so I could champ Riri with 8 saved.

Bucky: Red
    Quake: Blue
    professor X: blue
    Cyclops: Yellow

I'm now on an 11 pull dry spell. My long term play of max-champing Punish3r to finish off Pun Max is 3 covers from done, then I’ll move on to Carnage via Doc Ock (9 covers away from the green I need). Then I’ll move on to Rock3t to finish up Drax, and that will be the last Fed 4* who is missing covers. But I need to start a dupe rocket and go to 223 to do it, so it’ll be awhile.