Returning Player, Need Help!

SupremeChefGio
SupremeChefGio Posts: 19 Just Dropped In
I took a hiatus from the game after i spent so much time with it, its been about 2 years so coming back, of course, seems like a new game altogether. I have all 2* most champed and i have a bunch of 3*, some champed but most have enough covers to make them useful in PVE. I have 4* and 5* but only 1 to 2 covers for them, question is, should i get rid of the rest of the 4*-5* and focus on my 2*-3* roster? Plus i need more roster space for the new 3* coming through. Any input is useful.

TL:DR - Should i sell my 4*-5* to focus on champing my 2*-3*? Then go into 4* land naturally?

Comments

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, in general, it works better to build up each tier in turn. If you have 3* champs, you can start farming your 2*. Sell them off when they hit max champ, roster another and start building them up, repeat. Gives you a nice steady source of HP for more roster slots, among other things.
    More specifically, when looking at which 4-5* to sell, consider how well covered they are, how highly rated they are (yes, there's been some power creep, but there are still a number of excellent older 4*), and whether or not they have feeders. Also keep an eye on the Sneak Peeks thread, and try to avoid selling off anyone until you really have to, because otherwise Murphy's Law says they're going to be Featured right after you do that. You might want to keep a single 5* around for the high match damage to help clear easy nodes, but it might make PvP harder depending on where your 3* champs are at.
    Speaking of which, don't spend CP and don't open LTs unless you know for a fact you're going to be able to use whatever cover comes out. The fun of pulling them doesn't make up for having to sell the cover 2 weeks later because you needed the roster space for someone less cool, but more useful.
    If you haven't yet, you can also sell off all your 1* except for one. Juggernaut is the best, but Iron Man, Spidey, and even Storm can solo the 1* node in DDQ when max-leveled, and they're not necessary for anything else.
    The Big Three in 3* land are Strange, IM40, and Thanos. There are plenty of other good ones, but if you're missing them, getting them rostered and eventually champed (less important for IM40 if you get 5 yellow covers before then) should be a priority.
    Welcome back, and have fun!
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    Also, just to clarify, once you have all the 3* rostered, you don't have to worry about any "new" ones.  I wasn't sure if you meant new to your roster, or new to the game.  The last new 3* was over a year ago.  

With 4*, if you get a few covers in them, don't level them past your highest 3* until you're ready to jump into that tier.  What TPF is spot on about the 5* (ie help your clears), but having too many characters above your 3* will move you up in PVP difficulty.  If you're only talking PVE, then the levels don't matter.  
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2019
    I would hoard for now. Do PVE, find a nice midlin alliance to get more rewards, and just keep buying roster slots and nothing else. do not open heroic tokens or above.  Once you have some spare roster slots, pull until you get a new one, if it is not new release time.  Go 1 at a time, don't level things up until you are ready. 5*s are fine if unleveled, since boosted 3*s are over level 255, so use them for match damage to make pve faster. 
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    With saved covers, I'd be hesitant to throw any 2-star or 3-star you have rostered out, though. You may not have the ISO to level them at the moment, but saving those covers means you'll have a windfall of rewards when you do get the ISO you need to champ them...
    I get wanting to chase a few 3-stars to max champ and wanting to roster them all, but it might be smarter to stick with the 2-stars and what they give for feeders to build your 3-star roster, and if you stumble on one or two useful 4-stars and have room for them (people like Grocket, Prowler, Nico, Bishop), keep them and start building them, but like Waddles said, keep them leveled lower than your 3-stars.
    Bonus hero 3* Doc Strange as soon as you can. He will make your life so much easier in so many PVE nodes, it isn't even funny. 
    I wouldn't open any Legendary tokens until you're ready to start rostering 4-stars, and these days opening a heroic token can give decent chances of encountering a dang 4-star, too. 
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Do yourself a favor and don't come back, this game is circling the drain.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other than covers from progression/placement rewards, you've got a fair bit of control over when you'll see covers for new characters.  Simply stockpile your tokens until you've got enough HP to open a roster slot, then open tokens until you fill it.  Given your position in the game, it's probably best to open the standard and elite tokens first, since they will feed your 2* and 3* roster.  Use champ rewards to help speed up gathering of resources.
    When your 2* characters get to level 144 and you receive a new cover for them, sell and reroster the character.  If you've got all 2* characters rostered, you should have enough at a usable level at any one time for the cases where you need 2* characters.
    Once you've rostered all your 3* characters (not necessarily all champed though), repeat the process with your heroic tokens to roster any new 4* characters you pull.  Keep your legendary tokens and CP for last.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Do you have a link to your roster at all @SupremeChefGio? There are lots of players here who can quickly bring you up to speed on meta, who has gone up, who has gone down and why a Rabbit and a Tree are currently causing levels of debate.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    If you don't have all the 2s, the next roster slots you fill should be with those. Build them up and get them champed. You don't have to sell things (and if you do, single cover characters are the only thing you should consider and even then not 5-stars), just work on the lower tier then work on the next one once that is done.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    Until last year I had always used Juggernaut but fancying a change switched to Spidey and he is much more fun with same result.
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
    @JSP869

I gotta defend the unstoppable here.

He has more health so when things go crazy he lasts longer.

He costs less iso to max out. He takes only 10 covers to fully level as opposed to 13.

Some enemies will have more than 600 health, not a problem for juggs. 

He's the JUGGUERNAUT $!@#%!

p.s. Spidey is really good too.

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    @JSP869

I gotta defend the unstoppable here.

He has more health so when things go crazy he lasts longer.

He costs less iso to max out. He takes only 10 covers to fully level as opposed to 13.

Some enemies will have more than 600 health, not a problem for juggs. 

He's the JUGGUERNAUT $!@#%!

p.s. Spidey is really good too.

Ahh...  But who has the better TU potential?  I'd say Spidey every time.  (Widow is of course the best, but I'm just talking the difference between Juggs and Spidey.)
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    All excellent points, @tiomono and I cannot refute any of them! 
    Juggernaut is absolutely a force to be reckoned with, and a new player would definitely not be doing the wrong thing in keeping Juggernaut as their single 1-star character.

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    JSP869 said:

If you haven't yet, you can also sell off all your 1* except for one. Juggernaut is the best...

I beg to disagree, and I've already had this discussion on the Reddit sub a few times, but Spider-Man is the best 1*.
    <SNIP>
    In conclusion, Spider-Man is the best 1* character.
    Spidey is, to me at least, clearly the most fun 1* character to use (narrowly edging out Storm). I don't actually even have Juggernaut rostered*, because of how much I dislike him. When stripped down to raw numbers, tho, Juggie takes the top spot.
    * Dark Avengers Venom is the only other character I don't have. All the other 1*, I have maxed, but those two, I just can't stand, so they don't get slots.
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2019
    I used to have Juggernaut because his is a beast. Not going to say "was", because he IS a beast. (For a 1-star, of course ;)

But from time to time I did run into red & green-starved boards and that definitely did slow him down. It didn't stop him though! Because you can't stop the Juggernaut!!! But it did slow him down :disappointed:

So I took a look at the other 1-star characters to see who I could sub for him, and after a process of elimination it came down to Storm or Spider-Man, being two of the three 1-stars that have three powers. Iron Man is the third, but with his blue costing 19 AP* to fire, he may as well be a two-power character.

Spider-Man won out for all of the reasons I posted above, but at the time I switched he still had his web-powered abilities, and the way that his web tiles boosted his powers made him a lot of fun. More web tiles made his red hit harder, his blue stunned for longer, and IIRC his purple generated more critical tiles.

He's not as much fun since they removed his web tile mechanics, and IMO that stripped away everything that made him Spider-Man. I'm still using him, because he is the best 1-star ;) but he's not as fun as he used to be.

* 19 AP for a 1-star character's power. That's insane! At least bring it down to something like 12 AP. Yes, I know it's a nuke, but 19 AP? For a 1-star??? That's ridiculous, devs!

editremoved a bunch of white space/rows I accidentally left in.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm with @JSP869 here. Spider-Man is far and away the best 1-star if you're only going to keep one. Since the only reason you're hanging onto a 1-star is to do one node a day in DDQ, that's the only thing the character needs to be measured against. And in this measure, Spider-Man wins.

Yes, Juggs has a boatload of health (the only thing he has over Spider-Man) but it's wasted against three level 12 enemies that aren't going to hardly dent Spider-Man's 2750 health. And with three damaging abilities that each only cost 6 AP, Spider-Man is the fastest option to clear the DDQ node.

If you're looking for utility outside of DDQ, try teaming Spider-Man with Okoye.
  • SupremeChefGio
    edited May 2019
    DAZ0273 said:
    Do you have a link to your roster at all @SupremeChefGio? There are lots of players here who can quickly bring you up to speed on meta, who has gone up, who has gone down and why a Rabbit and a Tree are currently causing levels of debate.
    How do you link a roster? @DAZ0273

• SupremeChefGio
    And thanks to everyone for the input, I love match-3 games and Marvel, perfect combination imo. Just needed a break but all the tips coming back will make it easier. Right now im in the 2* and 3* champing phase, kinda got mixed in once i started getting the VIP deal back then.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    How do you link a roster?
    Gamependium.

You can see what it looks like through the link in my signature below.