Farewell Gambit.... the feels

Options
DjinnBabba
DjinnBabba Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
edited April 2019 in MPQ General Discussion
Some of you out there in the ether of MPQ may know me. If not, I guess you could ask around. I’ve been around since the days of the xmen alliances.  Just a stalker of the forums mainly. 

I come to you today with a farewell to my 550 Gambit. I can honestly say, I was the only one, in all of MPQ that was using him nonstop for all of 2018.  (There may have be one more player out there that has used him, but Gambit was not part of his A team.)  I loved Gambit pre-pre nerf, pre-nerf, and sadly post-nerf. He was my only 550. Of course after the nerf, Thor was not a natural partner anymore.  I went in the opposite direction and went with HawkEye.  Still great on offense, but become a slow defensive annoyance and hoped for the best.  My A team became HawkBit, and so it was for all of 2018 and into 2019. I’ll be honest, I was slow.  Always trying to keep up with the S4 speed madness of ThoyoKe.... but slowly I learned and mastered the art of HawkBit. The countdown tile priority, the shuffling of opponents to time the countdown tiles.  Praying to rng that Hawk’s 1st and 2nd countdown get fortified.  Eventually Gambit could fire his countdowns and then it was just gravy at watching 550 opponents crumbling. Of course, this took twice as long as a lower leveled Thokoye, but HawkBit was MY team and I powered on. Placed t5 routinely in scl9. Tried to be FiBO as much as I could. Even though I knew my speed would handicap me. 

HawkBit was a great trusted friend. But now it’s time to say goodbye. I will always remember you. I could always trust in your ability to make a comeback out of nowhere.  As the last true Gambit player in all of MPQ.... I salute you. From the days of your greatness, to your fall from grace as the pinnacle of OP’ness.... you will be remembered.

You ain’t never had a friend like me,

Djinn

Comments

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There are few gaming joys better than successfully using a janky team you discover which no one else will touch with a ten foot pole :)
  • thorrium
    thorrium Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Gambit was my boy, my little man.
    He was the first 5* I got, and he carried me though the hard times...

So when we got the option to sell em, I said NO!

He carried me, so now it was my turn to carry him.

He like many other elddrly likes to relax and isnt as active as he used to be, but he got a spot in  my team whenever he is ready.

God bless you Gambit...
  • Sm0keyJ0e
    Sm0keyJ0e Posts: 730 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kept my Gambit as well and, while I'm glad the days of his ridiculous rule are over (seriously, who thought he was a good design to start with??), he literally never gets used anymore. The two times a year (and dwindling) his PVE rolls around he has good boosted match damage, I guess.

It's really a shame they don't know how to re-balance their own toons. Two attempts at Gambit, both failed miserably in opposite directions.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just curious - what's he worth at 550 to sell, and what's the rationale for actually selling him now?
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,711 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gambits in the game? When did that happen.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Your story has given me hope my friend. I'll have 10 fully covered 5-stars as of tomorrow when I get an OML cover from SHIELD Drop #1095. Most of them are meh, according to the standards of the 5-star playerbase, Hawkeye and Gambit are among them: 

DareDevil
    Gambit
    Green Goblin
    Hawkeye
    Iron Man 46
    Silver Surfer
    Black Suit Spider Man
    P5ter Parker
    Star Lord
    Old Man Logan

My Thor is at 4/4/2, and Valkryie has already given me cover at 290, so I'd need to get her to 340 as it stands to finish him that way. My Okoye is 4/3/3, and Shuri is at 291, so LITERALLY the exact same situation. Not having these 2 to compete with the PVP meta was the main thing holding me back, I felt confident I was gonna get creamed otherwise. It's good to know Hawkbit is an option, albeit a slow one. I think at this point I'm just gonna say screw it after I get my last Thano5 cover. You only YOLO once. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Gambit and Rogue are my favorite Marvel characters. Rogue is my one and only max champed 4* because I BH'd her forever. 

I still haven't even re-rostered Gambit. That nerf annihilated him. 
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I sold mine without hesitation. I only had daredevil and gambit champed. After they took the nerfsledge to gambit his stopping daredevils purple became to big of a downside.

I really enjoyed the single 5* meta with daredevil but I now have 6 5* champs. My new gambit is at 4 covers. One day he may rejoin the champed ranks. 

I don't feel he is total garbage now. He just clearly doesn't throw any team on his back and carry like he used to. You need to plan a team around him now. Solid mid tier character.