Questions on how high to level 5*s and saved covers

Options
tonypq
tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
I recently fully covered 5Carol, 5Doom, and 5Hela. I wasn't sure if I wanted to max level them, or only raise them to boosted 4* levels, to avoid any crazy scaling for pve. Lately I've been playing casually and just doing SCL 7 as I can blow through it super fast. So not sure how max leveling my 5s or only leveling to boosted 4* range would impact my pve scaling.

Any advice to Max level them or stop at booated 4* level range .

Also I ended up with 3 extra red for 5Carol, which are in my saved covers. The saved cover feature mentions being able to trade 3 saved covers in for a level in any power. I have 5 in green and only 3 yellow, so was hoping to use the saved covers to boost her yellow 1.

How exactly do I trade the 3 saved red covers and pick a yellow for her which I need ?

Thanks for any replies!

Comments

• crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    PVE doesnt scale with your roster,  so if you only care about that then definitely level them.
    To use the saved covers you would choose to level up the power you want (yellow), and it will trade the 3 saved covers for that cover.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Options
    PVE doesnt scale with your roster,  so if you only care about that then definitely level them.
    To use the saved covers you would choose to level up the power you want (yellow), and it will trade the 3 saved covers for that cover.
    So for 5*s I should only need 3 saved covers to level up another color ?

She has 3 saved covers but clicking on yellow won't let me power it from 3 covers to 4. Was confused because the ? near the saved covers button said they can be used for champ levels or trading in 3 to upgrade another power.
  • crackninja
    Options
    Does it show you have 3/3 saved covers?  You do have to save them to the character first, and then it should unlock the level up for yellow.  If that's not happening even though it says you have 3/3 saved covers then I'd reach out to support.
  • hodayathink
    hodayathink Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If you have Carol fully covered and are looking to put ISO into her, why don't you just champ her so you can re-spec her any way you want?
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you've fully covered a character, you can't exchange saved covers any more: you will need to champ them in order to respec them.

As for whether you should champ the characters, it depends on what parts of the game you find fun.  For PVE story events, there is no downside.  For versus tournaments, it will change the enemies you're presented, and likely force you to only use your new 5* champs.  That can put you at a disadvantage if you've got some of the weaker characters.  I'm currently sitting of four characters I could champ but two of them are Wasp and Kingpin, so I've been holding back.

• Vengeance
    Vengeance Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Don't waste your 3 extra cover just to respec her yellow.  5* champ rewards are far too valuable to just throw away covers imo.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you mainly play PVE champion away.  Even in PVP you will mainly see Thor Okoye and Doom’s true healing should let you win those matches with Hela or Marvel.  You should be able to climb to what you would normally score in PVP previously.  

Last;y remember by championing your 5* if you have one saved cover you get a LT and you can respec your chancery anyway you want.
  • crackninja
    Options
    Sorry, looks like I misunderstood...if she's already at 13 covers then that would be the reason.  Agree with others, just champ her if you want to respec her.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,490 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2019
    Options
    What other people said - your roster no longer affects the scaling in PVE (thank goodness, that was really tough,) PVE Scaling is strictly based on SCL.  PVP matches are governed by "MMR" (Match Making Rating) which is based on your roster, though - if you have two or more champed 5*s then you will see 5*s in PVP.  Mostly Thor/Okoye and R&G/Kitty, really.  You will stop seeing 4*s pretty much completely.  If that's the game you want to play, then go for it - in the end you can probably climb higher, though with those three you may run into problems, I don't know.  CM is really meh, Doom is ok, and Hella seems good but not as good as Thor/Okoye or Gritty.

If you want to avoid affecting your PVP scaling then level your 5*s to about the level of your average champ 4*.  It means you'll forgo champ rewards, but with saved covers you'll always get them when you decide to move to the 5* level.  There's certainly no rush.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just to add to this quickly. Without a varied set of 5* champs the lower parts of 5* MMR can be a miserable/boring place to be. If your experience is anything like mine then you end up fighting the same sets of characters (gritty, thorkoye) with the same characters (your champs) over and over again. You have three possible champs so at least you can alternate though I imagine one pair will be significantly superior to any other combination. 

The other thing to think about is that without meta characters you could end up as easy pickings for the meta pairings. You might end up taking a lot of beatings from the same teams you see in PvP.

as long as you’re prepared for what happens to PvP and are happy to trade that for the PvE boost then go ahead and champ all three. 
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you care about PVP...  you can push you 5s to just under where your 4s fall when boosted.  Assume you have 2 boosted 4s and they boost to about 385, then i'd take your 5s to 380.

If you don't care about PVP and just want PVE as fast as possible, champ them.  Esp CM5.  Match damage alone should wreck CL7 PVE.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    What about just champing Doom? I think he could be a fun champ for single 5* MMR (which I never got a chance to experience myself). The healing should help with packs/sustained climbs. Gritty teams might think twice about hitting you due to his passive strike removal upon death. And there are a variety of black batteries in the 4* tier that could fuel him (Domino, Clagger, Vulture, etc.). 
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    If you care about PVP...  you can push you 5s to just under where your 4s fall when boosted.  Assume you have 2 boosted 4s and they boost to about 385, then i'd take your 5s to 380.

If you don't care about PVP and just want PVE as fast as possible, champ them.  Esp CM5.  Match damage alone should wreck CL7 PVE.
    God, this. I champed 6 5s over the weekend "just because." PvE gets wrecked, and I play CL9. PvP is a nightmare slog. I'm not impressed w/ the 5* experience so far.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Is that actually true though? My understanding was that PVP matchmaking was based on the unboosted levels of your characters.
    Or is it just that there are basically no players with max-champed 4* characters but no champed 5*s, so you only see people with low/mid-level champed 4*s and partially leveled 5*s?
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,916 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Taganov said:

God, this. I champed 6 5s over the weekend "just because." PvE gets wrecked, and I play CL9. PvP is a nightmare slog. I'm not impressed w/ the 5* experience so far.
    Which 6?
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Taganov said:

Regular PvE scaling isn't affected by your roster. Boss battles still use roster based scaling though. I hope you find Unstable ISO a better experience than Avengers vs Ultron.

Out of curiosity, which six did you level?

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,654 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster said:
    Taganov said:

Regular PvE scaling isn't affected by your roster. Boss battles still use roster based scaling though. I hope you find Unstable ISO a better experience than Avengers vs Ultron.

I think he meant pve was super easy but pvp was a pain.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    tiomono said:
    Quebbster said:
    Taganov said:

I think he meant pve was super easy but pvp was a pain.
    I
     suppose it could be read either way.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Sorry for late reply guys! I champed Doom, Thanos, Cable, JJ, the better 5Cap and Spidey. None of them are meta, but Doom and JJ are decent, and Spidey is a decent counter to Gritty teams.

And yes, I did mean that PvE is now largely trivial (OMG Th5nos) while PvP, which I'm used to hitting 900 when I feel like it, is a Sisyphean task. If I could at the outset of PvP opt to not use any 5s and play all 4s, that'd be great. In my incredibly brief foray into 5 land, it feels like 4 is more fun and allows quite a bit more variety.
  • Quebbster
    Options
    Taganov said:
    Sorry for late reply guys! I champed Doom, Thanos, Cable, JJ, the better 5Cap and Spidey. None of them are meta, but Doom and JJ are decent, and Spidey is a decent counter to Gritty teams.

And yes, I did mean that PvE is now largely trivial (OMG Th5nos) while PvP, which I'm used to hitting 900 when I feel like it, is a Sisyphean task. If I could at the outset of PvP opt to not use any 5s and play all 4s, that'd be great. In my incredibly brief foray into 5 land, it feels like 4 is more fun and allows quite a bit more variety.

Yeah, it looks like you don't have a good climbing team for PvP unfortunately. Maybe try Doom and Thanos? There are worse combos out there at least - Doom can heal away the Court Death damage and he has a nasty black nuke that can be used to trigger it. It also covers every color except red, though you don't have a blue Active Power. It's probably something that could take attackers by surprise at least.