Hour of Devestation Event - Related Improvements

Gargoyle
Gargoyle Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
So I wasn't sure if I'd buy Eslpeth or not when I saw that the current Hour of Devestation event required her for one of the 3 Nodes.
First of all, I don't think this should ever be the case; forcing someone to buy a specific Planeswalker if they want to compete in a given event is frustrating. Let us choose which Planeswalkers we want to focus on obtaining.

Beyond that, if it's going to determine whether you can place on the ladder at all, then don't cap the number of Matches for that Node. Because I was hesitant to spend before relenting I am now in a position where I can't contend the top of my Leaderboard even if I play flawlessly having purchased Elspeth. 
It's bad enough to pressure players into a specific purchase in order to participate fully but when it's like this you end up buying only to discover you were too late to the party. 

I didn't particularly want Eslpeth as Gideon is just fine and I have other PW's to save for, which is why I'm left feeling bitter rather than just being able to enjoy the event; any reward I get feels more like compensation for being pressured to spend a certain way and I'm assuming others have similar experiences.
Yes, I could have kept my crystals, but I want to collect all PW's sooner or later and not competing is annoying too.

If they still want to encourage purchasing of certain Planeswalkers with these sort of events then they could at least compromise as far as making the use of that PW an Objective so it's a matter of getting an edge rather than obligatory to actually participate fully. 

Comments

• Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    The idea was originally to run this event once per required Planeswalker. Once. Then, a comparable event came out with the next set which would run once. Per Planeswalker. HoD shouldn't be changed, it should have been deleted and replaced long ago
  • ArielSira
    ArielSira Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    Regardless of the event, Elspeth is the best mono white walker (great first and second abilities and awesome mana). You'll ditch Gideon soon enough.
  • Gargoyle
    edited March 2019
    ArielSira said:
    Regardless of the event, Elspeth is the best mono white walker (great first and second abilities and awesome mana). You'll ditch Gideon soon enough.
    People keep saying she's great but I don't really see it. Like her Colour rewards are way better as she levels but I think Gideon is underrated.
    Is she better in the long run? Probably, but I am trying to save for Sarkhan who covers my weaker colours and is better than Elspeth regardless.

In any case the post is really about the whole convention of forcing a specific Planeswalker; Elspeth maybe isn't the best example in that she is genuinely a good PW. 

Laeuftbeidir said:
    The idea was originally to run this event once per required Planeswalker. Once. Then, a comparable event came out with the next set which would run once. Per Planeswalker. HoD shouldn't be changed, it should have been deleted and replaced long ago
    That does sound like it exacerbates the issue, but if I understand what you're saying correctly you don't see a problem with doing this once, just the repetition?

If you buy a PW once you have it indefinitely, so it's basically the same problem except that if you don't buy you won't live knowing the event may recur. 
  • Gargoyle
    starfall said:
    I like the idea of being forced to play a mono PW. Otherwise, I would never play one of them. I have plenty of Duals and Triples which eclipse them in power.

I did suggest another way of forcing players to use mono PWs in this subforum:
    I thought they did this once?

Anyway, I'm talking about the enforced use of a named PW, monocolour or otherwise.

An event that requires mono-colour is fine by me; if you're using the original 5 you have a handicap but it's nothing that pressures you to purchase a specific PW.
  • Laeuftbeidir
    Laeuftbeidir Posts: 1,841 Chairperson of the Boards
    Gargoyle said:
    ArielSira said:
    People keep saying she's great but I don't really see it. Like her Colour rewards are way better as she levels but I think Gideon is underrated.
    Is she better in the long run? Probably, but I am trying to save for Sarkhan who covers my weaker colours and is better than Elspeth regardless.

In any case the post is really about the whole convention of forcing a specific Planeswalker; Elspeth maybe isn't the best example in that she is genuinely a good PW. 

Laeuftbeidir said:
    That does sound like it exacerbates the issue, but if I understand what you're saying correctly you don't see a problem with doing this once, just the repetition?

If you buy a PW once you have it indefinitely, so it's basically the same problem except that if you don't buy you won't live knowing the event may recur. 
    If you don't want to buy the pw, you usually were at a disadvantage for a single event - that was fine every once in a while. That's why I think it's fine once