MPQ Sneak Peek: March 2019 Edition *Updated (3/31/19)

Comments

• ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Will following the Cosmic Chaos story in game spoil the movie?
    Not likely. Sinister 6000, and the other recent movie themed PvE stories have done well no to spoil anything or even be vaguely related to the plot. The Wakanda one last winter was another one that wasn't a spoil stort
    Yeah, the only one that came close to spoiling anything was Strange Sights, but even that just put the villain in a very similar role rather than following the movie story.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    They seem to be featuring 5* Daredevil out of order. Does anyone else notice this or have any thoughts about it?
    Definitely. Skipped Black Widow, another run of the 3 Latest, then Banner. We shouldn't have seen Daredevil until the 24th/25th (based on whether or not the event on the 21st is 3 or 4 days, and assuming we don't get any bosses between now and then).
  • ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    JHawkInc said:
    They seem to be featuring 5* Daredevil out of order. Does anyone else notice this or have any thoughts about it?
    Definitely. Skipped Black Widow, another run of the 3 Latest, then Banner. We shouldn't have seen Daredevil until the 24th/25th (based on whether or not the event on the 21st is 3 or 4 days, and assuming we don't get any bosses between now and then).
    Any theories as to why they did this?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc said:
    Super short version? They mostly deviate for special occasions (Thor/Okoye got runs when their costumes came out, Doc Ock and Thanos got featured out of order for the two Raid events, etc). Black Widow got featured during the second cycle as part of the MCU 10-year celebration. The time between her first two runs was 6 months, and the time between the second and third would have been 9 more (as the cycle gets longer as more 5's become Classic characters). Instead her third run came 2 months later because of the MCU 10-year celebration, also meaning it would only be 7 months until her FOURTH run (so she's getting more runs more frequently than other characters).

Basically, my guess is that they want to feature her closer to Endgame as part of any celebration thing they do for that film, and by doing Daredevil now, they delay Black Widow a little, putting her closer to Endgame. They could theoretically also bring Jessica Jones and Phoenix closer, delaying Black Widow, Banner, and Doctor Strange, letting them focus on more MCU characters as 5* Essentials around Endgame. And breaking the pattern like this means they aren't featuring some characters more or less than others (like they've already done with Black Widow and Thor and Okoye). It breaks the expected pattern, but come June, everyone will have been featured the same number of times, so who cares if they break the pattern to put thematically linked characters together?

Of course, that's making assumptions on upcoming 5e's for the next grouping of Classics. If they did Daredevil early, and do Black Widow and Banner next time (sticking to the original pattern as close as possible outside of Daredevil being early), my theory goes completely out the window.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    Re:  5 Order and DD

As pointed out, BW was run last August as part of the MCU10 celebration.  We saw Thor run a second  time in about a 2 month period for his costume offer (apparently) and Okoye was recently featured much earlier than expected as part of the Wakanda celebration.  

We don't know, but can only assume, that these secondary runs will establish their new place in the classic order.  (Aside: This changes, a bit, their cover offering since an extra 5e and HFH advances their color offered beyond others around them.)

So, BW could have been skipped for now and will show up in 2 months (during the presumed Endgamestravaganza).  The next pair of Classics is DD and Banner; they have previously switched up the order of pairs a bit for unknown reasons, so maybe Banner is next after the Doom/Kingpin/Cable rotation, or maybe he's being held back for Endgame along with others as @JHawkInc suggested.  Or maybe (I don't believe this) Banner is being held back for rework, ha ha.
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc said:
    Super short version? They mostly deviate for special occasions (Thor/Okoye got runs when their costumes came out, Doc Ock and Thanos got featured out of order for the two Raid events, etc).
    I read this and immediately thought of Daredevil getting a yellow costume.  Then I thought it would be $75 like Thor's costume.  The BW delay obviously makes much more sense.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Domino boosted for C4rol's PvP? That could get interesting.
  • spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor
    JHawkInc said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Super short version?
    Followed by 6 pages of text...
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Super short version?
    Followed by 6 pages of text...
    You're right. It's hard to tell where to draw the line. I should have included dates and cycle lengths and all of the comparisons therein, to give everyone a more full and clear picture. And then you can't leave out Gambit, he's an outlier, but also the one screwball that hasn't really followed the pattern at all. And my data's incomplete in regards to his nerf, probably need to include a bit on that too and how it influenced things. And if we're going to dig that deep into things it probably wouldn't hurt to just clean up and share the spreadsheet so everyone's on the same page. Probably wouldn't hurt to collaborate with other forums users as well, make sure our data is accurate and that there aren't any gaps in the analysis. Just let me know what part wasn't clear and I or one of the other data-collecting forumites can probably help alleviate any confusion.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Quebbster said:
    Domino boosted for C4rol's PvP? That could get interesting.
    Agreed. Less so than on first glance, though, in that boosting won’t increase her black production — which power combined with Carol’s green passive, obviously, makes it so potentially interesting. It will be particularly unpredictable on defense, though — so: interesting!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    If both team strongest ap is black, which is highly probable unless you are in 5* land, the opposing team will be dealing AoE and gaining ap. Domino looks like a double-edged sword.
  • Smart80
    Smart80 Posts: 748 Critical Contributor
    If both team strongest ap is black, which is highly probable unless you are in 5* land, the opposing team will be dealing AoE and gaining ap. Domino looks like a double-edged sword.
    Double edged sword? As Domino’s extra black only works on her own turn, I would go with playing Russian roulette with an old wet dirty machine gun. Sure, you could get lucky it might be jammed, but 99,9% its just plain suicide...
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Smart80 said:
    Double edged sword? As Domino’s extra black only works on her own turn, I would go with playing Russian roulette with an old wet dirty machine gun. Sure, you could get lucky it might be jammed, but 99,9% its just plain suicide...
    I would say it is up there with Hulk and his Anger flooding the board with green on his PvP. That one is quite good fun if you bring along a Carol! This one sounds ominously like shooting your own toes off...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I may try Jessica Jones/Domino/C4rol on defense, see what comes of that if anything. Since I basically have to play for wins anyway these days, I'm not mega-concerned about losing 
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards

FWIW, both Okoye and Thano5 has black as their strongest color, so it's not uncommon to trigger C4rol' passive even for a fivestar player. It's quite fun.

I was thinking maybe a 5/5/3 build for Domino to reduce the risk of black Cascades and instead increase the chance the opponent makes the black matches instead...

• jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quickly tried Dom, and even boosted her health is paltry.

Thorkoye seems quickest (as per usual). Gritty looked like it had potential, but generating a ton of yellow doesn't end up helping much except to slow things way down.
  • jackstar0
    Also, hoping that Briggles has delivered great justice and will give us that sweet update before too much longer today.

Excited to see the off-season events and what's next on the Story side.
  • jackstar0
    Women of Marvel is well-timed and Combined Arms is a delight!

Huzzah!
  • ElReyFelix
    ElReyFelix Posts: 102 Tile Toppler
    I would love it if the women of marvel event coincided with another 5* legendary store with some classic 5* characters