Forum double standard.

starfallstarfall Posts: 1,657 Chairperson of the Boards
Imagine how awful these forums would be, if every time a newbie turned up and made a thread, the veterans descended on it with cries of "This doesn't affect me personally, so shut your whining!"

Comments

• BeyKlawBeyKlaw Posts: 12 Just Dropped In
    Imagine how awful these forums would be:

- If veterans called other anonymous players derogatory names and not want to play against them due to their game status.

- If veterans made demeaning, condescending comments about how others did their job, offering simplistic, sarcastic solutions to complex issues.

- If veterans made insinuating comments about how people would lose their jobs if the veterans were in charge.

- If veterans threatened boycotts, bad ratings, and withholding cash purchases every time a bug or questionable implementation was introduced.

Imagine if this same forum was just  about a game...

• starfallstarfall Posts: 1,657 Chairperson of the Boards
    BeyKlaw said:
    Imagine how awful these forums would be:

- If veterans called other anonymous players derogatory names and not want to play against them due to their game status.
    If you're referring to my comments about Euky07 which I've already retracted and apologised for, then please say so, because I am prepared to explain exactly what I meant by it; it's not at all an attack on Euky07 but a pretty obviously ironic remark.

I really couldn't be bothered to explain this at the time, but, if you're going to continue to make a big deal out of it, I shall.
  • starfallstarfall Posts: 1,657 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ok clearly I *do* need to explain this, in detail, so, I shall.

starfall said:
    And even if we DO get as high as him, he's rubbish! We don't want to play against him, he's only mastered 1700 cards, and we've all mastered well over 2000!!!
    This statement was written sarcastically. It was not a direct attack on Euky07, but instead, an attack on the XP system itself.

Granted, the sarcasm may have not come across. Which is why I'm happy to disown the statement, retract it so that it's no longer part of the discourse (even, though, apparently, it is), and apologise absolutely to anyone I have offended.

This is not bullying, because the intent behind it was not to bully. Bullying requires intent.

Let me explain the sarcasm behind the statement. Believe it or don't, I'm going to do it anyway.

Oktagon have been heavily implying that those players affected by the XP curbs are much better than players who have not. THAT'S the basis of the sarcasm. Look here, how they describe how players who have been clipped will easily surpass those that haven't:
    Brigby said:

Since Player Level is separate from Color Mastery, a Platinum player that may be at a lower level than say...a Gold player, will inevitably surpass them once the new features are added into the game. This is due to the difference in their rates of play. A Platinum player will likely be more engaged and active than a Gold player, therefore yielding a faster rate of Player Experience that results in quicker Player Level progression.
    and here again, where they first begin to describe us as 'veteran players'
    Brigby said:
    I understand that players might be frustrated that some others may be higher than them in level at the moment, simply because they had more cards available to master post-3.2 update, however I cannot stress enough that this is merely a temporary situation until future features are implemented.

Once those features are added in, veteran players will find that they quickly increase in player levels and surpass other players even in the short term, especially considering veteran players are far more active in the game than other demographics. Mastering cards would no longer be the limiting factor to player levels. 

They're saying, time and time again, that we will easily surpass other players with our superior skills. It is THEM who imply that I'm better than Euky07. THEIR language implies that I should quickly leave him in the dust.

On the other hand, I thought that the shift in tone and language in my own post would immediately indicate that I was being sarcastic. Clearly, I was mistaken. there's plenty of anger in my other posts in the same thread, and there really isn't much to differentiate the tone.

Once again I apologise for causing offense, but I hope we can put to bed these accusations of bullying.
  • ZW2007-ZW2007- Posts: 805 Critical Contributor
    BeyKlaw said:

- If veterans threatened boycotts, bad ratings, and withholding cash purchases every time a bug or questionable implementation was introduced.

Imagine if a business did its job poorly and received bad reviews because it did its job poorly.

Imagine if those bad reviews led to fewer customers for that business.

Imagine if fewer customers led to lower revenue for that business.

Imagine if lower revenue led to the closure of that business.

Imagine if a game was run by and operated by that business.