***** Captain Marvel (Galactic Warrior) *****

Comments

• RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    The new character design philosophy should be this:
    1. Ensure all new 5* characters fall within the top half of the tier (player ratings wise)
    2. Rebalance older characters intermittently so that they now move into the top half
    3. Meta-potential characters such as Carol should immediately be top 10 if not top 5 within the tier
    4. Reach out to the well informed player base with Ability designs ahead of implementation, to get important and relevant feedback - even without disclosing which characters the powers are designed for (you don't have to present 3 powers at once). I would suggest a 20-50 player focus group for this, invite-only forum. 

Carol's abilities seem interesting, this is true. But as many have stated they seem slow and lackluster. 
    Take Jessica Jones for example, a very good character that gets used in both sides of the game, but not nearly as much as other teams over the last few months.
    This should be the design target, create a new Carol that is a bit higher, stronger, faster than JJ. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/3/5
    Vhailorx said:
    Wymtime, her match damage is so high that it will be very hard to tank for her.  Her second color (green) just edges out Thor"s highest color at equal levels. and Thor was already among the highest match damage 5*s.

Without boosting, targeted support usage, or lots of champ levels she will likely tank at least red and green almost all the time.
    Wow that match damage is super high. her green match damage is higher than my 463 DD.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    So in a nutshell, no change to the 5* meta. If you don’t have Thor/Okoye/Thanos/Kitty, you’re locked out of any serious 5* play.

See you in 3 years, 5* tier...
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    5/4/4
    Here's my analysis of the overly-anticipated hyped up 5*Carol:

Build 5/3/5

8 Red: 2-turn repeater that deals 5,846 and creates 3 x 266 Strikes - I think this is her best power especially if you can put it down early. It's slow and steady damage though and it's vulnerable to being matched away. But you can fortify the repeater with Cable or Goblin, and you could get multiple repeaters going. The passive ability to get 2 yellow AP when strikes are destroyed is highly situational and thus not reliable. Chasing red and then placing a red repeater is ideal for it to survive, but ultimately this power is just OK, not great. Can this power be exploited? With Thor and Goblin you could quickly get out multiple fortified repeaters. 

Green Passive: 3-turn repeater that produces 3 Green AP - All I can say is that this is slow and could be matched away like Switch's CD tile, (which is another reason to pair with Goblin). It should produce some green for you, but it ain't fast. Turn 5 at the earliest. Until we get someone that can reduce repeaters, this can't be exploited. 

10 Green: Places 2-turn CD tile that destroys its row and deals 6,643; if the row had friendly specials, destroy additional rows - At first glance this appears weak, but destroyed tiles also deal damage. So, with no specials out, it would deal around 10K. Destroying 2 rows would be around 14K. Of course, there's the possibility of getting cascades and setting up match-4/5s too. Destroying your own specials is bad, so I see the extra damage as a consolation prize for doing it. Ultimately, this power is just OK, not great. Can this power be exploited? With Carnage or 3*Storm you could clear at least half of the board and deal 22K+. 

8 Yellow: Send an ally airborne (including Carol) for 2 turns; when landing burst heal 5,447 and deal 11,958 -  Direct damage in yellow is rare, but there's a 2 turn delay (like CD tiles). The damage ratio is OK. I see this being used on the required PVP character since taking someone out of the fight is generally bad, unless a big nuke is coming. The extra health can be lost in 2 tile matches. If you paired her with Thor to tank for him, then you don't want to send her airborne (Thor tanks) and you don't want to send Thor airborne either (Thor heals). So, you send the req PVP character airborne, who may not tank anything. Can this be exploited with Vulture? Sure, but that's only good in single 5* champ MMR. 

My Conclusion: She's OK, not great. Mid-tier and below GEDoom. Her 5* power creep in health and match damage is notable though. She could tank for Thor until dead, since Thor's powers are better. Pair with Goblin and you have a solid team, but not anywhere near the meta. She's playable, but nothing more. She has a good package of 3 damage dealing powers, but they are all slow with mediocre damage ratios. Strangely, her level 5 green passive has no change....perhaps it was a 2-turn repeater but they thought it was OP. Who knows, but I'm generally disappointed. 
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    wymtime said:

Loki.  With Loki’s purple this could spam a ton of special tiles to get destroyed and generate a ton of yellow.  Loki can regenerate after death saving health packs and Carols green could work well with Loki.  More of a gimic team than great.

She only gens yellow for strike tiles destroyed, so Loki doesn't help her. She would help his purple about as well as his green does, which is very little.

You have maybe the most powerful hero from the MCU about to have her origin movie release and be part of maybe the biggest movie in Marvel history (Endgame)....  And this is what we get?

I think that worked against her. The giant crossover tie ins usually have a tinge of "corporate mandated rush thru". Even tho they clearly had time to work on her, she is a mishmash of abilities that don't seem well designed for any meta purpose. She's Gambit/Bishop in the capped repeater ap gen. She's Loki/Emma in the repeater damage/row/tile spam. She's 5* Wasp/Nova in that she hides/heals a partner airborne and does damage on landing.
    No unique, standout abilities. MPQ overrated boardshake and repeaters, low raw damage. 
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    Yes....

Carndusa + GWCM should be a pretty interesting team.  Especially since Medusa gens green and can flip tiles with her pink.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2019
    Many seem to still be confused by green. 
    The initial row that is destroyed (by the CD, or immediately if at 5 covers) determines how many more rows are destroyed. It does not perpetuate if there are friendly specials in the additional destroyed rows. 
    Meaning:
    If you have 3 friendly special tiles within the initial row destroyed, 3 additional rows will be destroyed, that's it. If the 'additional 3' rows had friendly specials within them it does Not proc other rows to be destroyed.

So, if you have just 1 special tile in the 1st row, only 1 more row will be destroyed, no matter what. 

Hopefully a row or two has strike tiles within them so you earn free yellow AP.
    Choosing the row destroyed by placing the CD would have been much nicer, and more like the Carol we enjoy from 4* land.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    RickOShay said:
    Many seem to still be confused by green. 
    The initial row that is destroyed (by the CD, or immediately if at 5 covers) determines how many more rows are destroyed. It does not perpetuate if there are friendly specials in the additional destroyed rows. 
    Meaning:
    If you have 3 friendly special tiles within the initial row destroyed, 3 additional rows will be destroyed, that's it. If the 'additional 3' rows had friendly specials within them it does Not proc other rows to be destroyed.

So, if you have just 1 special tile in the 1st row, only 1 more row will be destroyed, no matter what. 
    Yes, it's too bad she can't double proc that row destruction.  That would be a lot of fun with war machine's red
  • Jogibb
    Jogibb Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    Her support will be matches have a chance of reducing repeater tiles countdown. Why does everyone think thor will be neefed? He isn’t that hard to beat, an okoye team can one shot him with ease. 
  • Jogibb
    Yes....

Carndusa + GWCM should be a pretty interesting team.  Especially since Medusa gens green and can flip tiles with her pink.
    Wiccan is better for this team because has same ability essentially but he is super tanky and has better skills. 
  • MathiasTCK
    MathiasTCK Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Jogibb said:
    Her support will be matches have a chance of reducing repeater tiles countdown. Why does everyone think thor will be neefed? He isn’t that hard to beat, an okoye team can one shot him with ease. 
    Thor is a huge advantage taking down 5 star nodes in pve, even more so combined with Okoye.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2019
    Jogibb said:
    Yes....

Wiccan is better for this team because has same ability essentially but he is super tanky and has better skills. 
    Unless you like match damage and about 40k health. 
  • Jogibb
    Jogibb said:
    Thor is a huge advantage taking down 5 star nodes in pve, even more so combined with Okoye.
    He makes the fights faster but nerfs should not occur unless they affect pvp imo.I use okoye Black bolt for 5* nodes so don’t understand the thought since plenty other teams do the same.  
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    jredd said:
    here, devs, i fixed her for you. quickly run back and work on the changes and numbers.

1st ability: black: 9 ap: photonic barrage: place a 3 turn countdown that produces 2 strike tiles per turn. deals damage to the target enemy when it hits 0

2nd ability: green: passive: energy manipulation: when the enemy makes a match in any of cap marvel's strong colours, steal 1 ap in that colour. if the enemy's strongest colour is the same as cap's generate 5 red ap when that colour is matched.

3rd ability: red: passive: photonic blasts: when you have more than 8 red ap, spend 1 red ap to do aoe damage to all enemies. (similar to 4* blade's red).

she'd kill with thorkoye. maybe overkill now that i think about it. but they'd be fun. better than captain repeater tile...
    That's a really good build.  Kinda lumps in all the best of the previous CMs with some new flavor.
    thanks. that's what i was going for. simple, familiar, but still new and fun to play.
  • Pyram7
    Pyram7 Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Her match damage is great though. She can do nicely with Chavez I think. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    This is seriously disappointing. First a just okeish God Emperor frikin Doom (this guy in the comics was almost omnipotent!!!), and now an even worse Carol (she will be the new face of the MCU!!). What is happening?!?!? Do they want us to stop playing?!?

I didnt get Kitty because I was sure Carol was going to be amazing. Wow what a lack of judgement on my part. What a mistake. 

At this point if the next 5 after Carol is not good I think it will finally be the time to abandon this game forever for me. I always have thought that 5 land is much worse than 4 land, but this is just nuts. There is barely 4-5 good 5s (Thor, Oyoke, JJ, Thanos and Kitty), all the rest are just ok (DD, Spidey, BP with Thanos and GG) or far worse.

As I said I am just sad and a disappointed that some of the best chars in the Marcel Universe get chars so lame. I dont need them to be meta, but they should be very good!
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2019
    Polares said:
    This is seriously disappointing. First a just okeish God Emperor frikin Doom (this guy in the comics was almost omnipotent!!!), and now an even worse Carol (she will be the new face of the MCU!!). What is happening?!?!? Do they want us to stop playing?!?

I didnt get Kitty because I was sure Carol was going to be amazing. Wow what a lack of judgement on my part. What a mistake. 

At this point if the next 5 after Carol is not good I think it will finally be the time to abandon this game forever for me. I always have thought that 5 land is much worse than 4 land, but this is just nuts. There is barely 4-5 good 5s (Thor, Oyoke, JJ, Thanos and Kitty), all the rest are just ok (DD, Spidey, BP with Thanos and GG) or far worse.

As I said I am just sad and a disappointed that some of the best chars in the Marcel Universe get chars so lame. I dont need them to be meta, but they should be very good!
    D3 really is doing a good job killing this game off. Carol is a serious let down. Their design for so many new characters is another massive disappointment, enough of countdown and repeater tiles already, holy ish. There is no rhyme or reason who they make a strong character or a laughable one. 5 Doom should have and deserved to be much better than what we got. Just depressing release after release of hot mess. I think those of us who've been hoarding will never crack their bank with these poorly designed characters they keep churning out so rapidly. 
  • Dartmaster01
    Dartmaster01 Posts: 634 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2019
     I haven't played or been around here in months. So I figured I'd check in to see what Cpt. Marvel looks like and wow, holy disappointment Batman. She sucks!! I thought 2018 was the year of suck(looking at you IW and supports) but 2019 is on track to take the crown.  Not trying to make any money are you guys? It's honestly just baffling.  So glad I quit this game, these guys will never have a clue.
  • randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker
    I keep looking, hoping for some sort of update....  *sigh*

I'm going to go stare at a corner some more.